Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #31

Thanks for the on going review and for the info on exposure bracketing using the wired remote. I wasn't aware of this.
That is probably my biggest complaint with the K30 - having to press the button and introduce shake when bracketing. Ill have to get a wired remote now. I have a wireless remote but i dont think that works with bracketing?

One niggle with your review....could you include the lens information with each picture? That is, the lens used, and perhaps the iso, aperture, shutter speed etc? This is very useful to know.
Also, thanks for talking about focus peaking. So many reviews neglect to even mention it. I use it all the time and would be reluctant to get a camera without it now. If only they'd give us FP color options via a firmware update.

Thanks again!

04-08-2013, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Weather Sealing

The K30 is weather sealed.
Thats not common on a camera body that is deemed 'entry level'.
I used to laugh about this feature as 'I'm not weatherproof, even when the camera is', but I think I was wrong to judge this too early on.
The K30 with a weather sealed kit lens makes for a very versatile use in wet situations as well as dusty places (eg. motocross; Beijing/Australia in the heat of dusty summer, etc)

Whats more, there are a range of cheap Weather Resistant (WR) lenses to choose from in the form of the DA18-55; DA55-200; DA18-135.
A nice weather sealed kit w/o breaking the bank, which is a nice point that not all camera brands offer (ie. weather sealed typically means expensive lenses)

For the more discerning photographer, there are also higher end DA* weather sealed zooms and primes.
Personally, I don't shoot in bad weather too much, so a really cheap DA 18-55mm WS kit lens is all I need to weather seal the camera for those times that I need it.

For all the shots in this page, I was in the pool.
My hands and whole person was wet, meaning that the whole camera was wet too from my handling.
But there was little need to worry about water seepage, shooting at low angles near the water or splashes from my children (or other children).

Want a more extreme example of how weather sealing is useful?
Ask this guy :
[youtube]Eo61t5fH6Qw[/youtube]

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-09-2013 at 03:37 PM.
04-08-2013, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thoughts and Conclusion

In a market where tech is expected to move fast and 'improve' every quarter.
Where megapixels keeps spiraling up and handphone whizbang is added to cameras as new 'needs for the photographer'.
With manufacturers scrambling to define themselves from the competition in this way.
Its good to see a camera like the K30 go somewhat the other way.

A camera rooted in fundamentals.
Fundamentals of what it takes to help a photographer take photos and do imaging.
Features/handling that help the photographer use a camera fast and efficiently, in all conditions and at a good price.

Its good to see that entry level does not mean entry level features/handling.

Other comments :

There's often the query

"Old K5 or a K30? They are about the same price now"
My take :
K30 is the better camera in most ways. (MHO)
The old K5 is better in build (mag alloy body); Top LCD panel; timer and IR bracketing function; FPS.
So choose the camera with the feature and handling that you need.

"K01 or K30? K01 is such a steal right now"
Again no straight answer; either one is ok depending on budget and how the user will need one feature/handing over another.
The K30 is the better camera for sure.
It also shoots SLR style, which I think is more stable than the arms out style of a LCD MILC like the K01.
The K01 is better only for faster shutter reaction in LV as there is no mirror mechanism to take care of.
For the user who can do away with SLR/viewfinder style shooting, the K01 is a viable and really cheap option to great IQ.

"K30 or the new K5IIs?"
I can't say that I'm very qualified to say too much, since I've only handled the K5IIs a few times.
But IMO, the K5IIs is a better camera with its -3eV low light focus capability that is real fast and the very sharp o/p without the AA filter on the sensor.
It also has the features/build that the older K5 has over the K30 as mentioned above.
But if one needs the focus peaking in a DSLR, then the K30 is the one to consider. (the K5 is very good too with a good focusing screen for manual focus; so it depends on what the user prefers)

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-09-2013 at 01:48 AM.
04-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #34

I would put it as K5IIs >K5II, >K-30, >K5, >K-01.

04-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Weather Sealing

Whats more, there are a range of cheap Weather Sealed (WS) lenses to choose from in the form of the DA18-55; DA55-200; DA18-135.
A nice weather sealed kit w/o breaking the bank, which is a nice point that not all camera brands offer (ie. weather sealed typically means expensive lenses)

For the more discerning photographer, there are also higher end DA* weather sealed zooms and primes.
Personally, I don't shoot in bad weather too much, so a really cheap DA 18-55mm WS kit lens is all I need to weather seal the camera for those times that I need it.
Just one small correction: The Weather Sealing on the lens is called WR and not WS. It stands for Weather Resistant. - BUT, it means the same thing, just don't go google pentax ws lens

Zorza
04-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting. I recently passed on a K-30 to get a K-5 on clear out... but starting form scratch with only one camera body, I'm pretty sure that's the way I'd go. It's good to see it getting some respect.
04-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zorza Quote
Just one small correction: The Weather Sealing on the lens is called WR and not WS. It stands for Weather Resistant. - BUT, it means the same thing, just don't go google pentax ws lens

Zorza
Ah! Thanks...
Corrected it.
I had an impression it was WR too when typing it, but did not check again.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks for posting. I recently passed on a K-30 to get a K-5 on clear out... but starting form scratch with only one camera body, I'm pretty sure that's the way I'd go. It's good to see it getting some respect.
Thanks.
I'm pretty sure you are exactly the user who needs a K5 over a K30 (ie. more rugged; less emphasis on CDAF and AF differences; top LCD panel)
No wrong choice between the two actually.
05-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Great job done!

05-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Great review and photos! For me, the K30 maybe the best overall Pentax DSLR and I have the K5IIs which is also great.

Dale
06-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #40

Excellent review, and the perspective from an actual photographer "in the field" is appreciated.

As a "geezer photographer," there are a several features that I have come to rely on. 1. Like most people over the age of 50, I wear bifocals. By adjusting the diopter I can see through the viewfinder just fine. 2. There is a setting in one of the menus (I have forgotten which one.) that enlarges the fonts displaying on the monitor. I can actually read the menu options, which makes digital photography so much easier! 3. I do a lot of close up stuff, on a tripod. The digital level has become essential.

I thoroughly enjoy my K-30, and, after reading your review, I realize I've only begun to utilize its many features. I "grew up" on prime lenses, and have never really gotten used to zooms. During my personal trip in China, I shot nearly everything with the kit DA 18-55. I've no complaints as it performed admirably.

One question - the first photo in your review, the night skyline...what format is that file? I ask because I've begun experimenting with the HD setting on my K-30. I realize it has had some "critical press," but I'm enjoying the results. I shot a couple flowers in harsh 2:00PM sun, and the resulting images are very nice.

Again, thanks for the review and any information you can provide.
07-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Film Guy Quote

One question - the first photo in your review, the night skyline...what format is that file? I ask because I've begun experimenting with the HD setting on my K-30. I realize it has had some "critical press," but I'm enjoying the results. I shot a couple flowers in harsh 2:00PM sun, and the resulting images are very nice.

Again, thanks for the review and any information you can provide.

Sorry to have notice your post so late.

The photo of the night skyline was shot in RAW.
4 vertical frames, 3 exposures bracketed at +/-2 stops each.
Stitched in Hugin and then the the 3 pano frames are merged using LR via Nik HDR efex.

Hope that helps.