Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hair spray resistant?

Hello!

During a very interesting project I came up with a question:

Is pentax k30 hair spray resistant? Are materials meant to strengthen and fix hair styles dangerous to the coatings of K30 as well as would it cause some damage to the glass of the lens etc?

03-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Hello!

During a very interesting project I came up with a question:

Is pentax k30 hair spray resistant? Are materials meant to strengthen and fix hair styles dangerous to the coatings of K30 as well as would it cause some damage to the glass of the lens etc?
As you have a K-30 you could be the guinea pig but I wouldn't recommend it. Most damage would likely happen in cleaning it off. I think you would need the mildest solvent you can find, probably alcohol based but I would want to try it on an old unloved lens first!
03-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
As you have a K-30 you could be the guinea pig but I wouldn't recommend it. Most damage would likely happen in cleaning it off. I think you would need the mildest solvent you can find, probably alcohol based but I would want to try it on an old unloved lens first!
I'd be a little concerned about the the solvents/propellants in the hair spray damaging the lens coatings and/or the plastics used in the construction of the lens/body. I have no data to support my concerns, just an uncomfortable feeling that it might cause some damage.

Secondly, a spray from an aersol has some surprising force behind it. This is the reason waterproof P+S cameras say not to jump into the water with the camera, but rather to lower the camera slowly into the water, That sudden impact can overwhelm whatever seals are in place. I hate to think what would happen if some of the spray should make it past the seals and end up on contacts inside the body.
03-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
would it cause some damage to the glass of the lens etc?
use a UV filter to protect the lens in this case. It's easier to clean a filter than a lens IMHO.

03-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
hair spray resistant
It's not something I would rush out and try with any camera, let alone a pride and joy.

I've got to ask, why the question, has this already happened?
03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The propellant in most hairspray will attack plastic - don't let it near eye ware, or any other transparent plastic (LCD covers for example, or some watch crystals) it may micro-pit and fog such surfaces. I have no idea how well lens coatings will stand up. The same goes for insect repellents or spray-on sunscreen products.
03-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
this would be a question benjikan or other fashion studio shooters could answer...

03-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
thank you for your input!

Well I can;t afford to be the the guinea pig. So I will not try it unless I become rich all of the sudden

This question popped into my head when I was filming documentary material of a fashion photoshoot and in the lighting it looked so awesomely beautiful when the hairstylist was spraying the hair spray and thought it would look good if he sprayed some to the cam. But I didn;t take the risk because well, to afford even as cheap as K30 was quite a hard thing for me. So this risk was too dangerous to be taken. That is why I decided to consult before jumping into it next time.