Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #1

info overload

Hello to all !!!!!! newbe here,,, but been reading for quite some time!!
. This is a great site decided it was time to join besides I couldnt find the answer to the question I have.. Ill look some more then come back and ask

03-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Forums .
03-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
K30 needs a new flash

So my old pentax pz70 served me well for many years but, the time has come to finally go digital as film is gettin tuffer to find.... did my homework and settled on the midrange Pentax K30.... bought a real pretty Red one, [body only], because; I read that all my old apparatus would retrofit... that move saved me a bit of cash, and upon recipt of the new body gave my Tamaron 28/300mm macro AF lense a new home. Happy to say after charging the battery the Tamaron seems to do what its supposed to.
Now for the problem!!! seems that my old AF400FTZ flash IS NOT INTERCHANGABLE !!!! K30 doesnt like TTL flash,,,, it wants PTTL flash!!! so after reading up on thru the lens [I still dont understand it] for what seems forever... and realizing that my disabled american veteran allowance has been pretty well hammmered by the new K30,, I find myself tottaly lost in picking out an affordable PTTL flash that can work off the shoe [or as a slave] and work to the full capabilities of the camera. like the unaffordable Pentax 540 flash.
I see names like Metz , Sigma, Vivitar, Yonqnuo and they leave that famos last sentence burned into my now tired brain "MAY NOT BE COMPATABLE WITH THE K30" and so here I am, with limited funds, limited knowledge and no idea on earth what flash to buy
and so I echo those oh to familiar words to all the good people on my newly found site.....................

H E L P !!!!!!! PLEASE help me...... please........ anyone!!!!!

Im so tired and dont know which one to pick because I dont know which ones are truly compatable.... does anyone know???
03-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Have you tried E-bay there are reasonably priced Pentax flashes there is also a Vivitar listed New with P-TTL Buy it now for under a hundred dollars.
Since Pentax on their web site lists all their current flashes as being compatible with all their DSLRs. If it works on the K-5 It should work with the K-30. I would think that the trigger voltage would be the same or close, and they both take P-TTL
I am no expert tho and others may have more info than me

Last edited by patrick9; 03-23-2013 at 06:05 AM.
03-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the meantime you can use the af400ftz in manual mode. I see from the instruction book it requires some set up using the tables, but maybe you can spend some time and find setting/s that work for most of your shots.
I found that p-ttl flash is not so versatile anyway, and I prefer to use either manual or ttl mode -on my old ist ds body.
03-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
In the meantime you can use the af400ftz in manual mode. I see from the instruction book it requires some set up using the tables, but maybe you can spend some time and find setting/s that work for most of your shots.
+1 The only flash I have is an older one without P-TTL I just haven't mounted it on my K-30 but it has spent time on my istDL. I assumed it would work on my K-30 in manual. I just haven't needed it yet.
03-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
+1 The only flash I have is an older one without P-TTL I just haven't mounted it on my K-30 but it has spent time on my istDL. I assumed it would work on my K-30 in manual. I just haven't needed it yet.
from what I have read the older TTL flashes cannot / should not be used because they produce to much voltage...... if they discharges while mounted on the shoe the high voltage of the older flash will fry the K30 then it wont matter what kind of flash you use nothing will work.... thats what I read..... and I do not want to test it to chance,,,, I JUST GOT THIS camera I dont wanna destroy it just yet!!
03-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
so this is why I am being overly careful looking for a flash that Is affordable..... its gotta be PTTL "AND" it has to be "compatable with the K30" maybe I read too much.... but Im just not brave enoughf to try and test it.... If you guys do and your camera survives the voltage burst and you dont destroy the electronics in the K30 let me know caus my old AF400FTZ is still sittin on the floor waiting to be sold...... any takers??

03-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
cable release terminal

on a different note anyone know what the "cable release terminal" under the terminal cover right side of camera just below the memory card cover is for ???? what kind of cable gets used in that plug
03-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
on a different note anyone know what the "cable release terminal" under the terminal cover right side of camera just below the memory card cover is for ???? what kind of cable gets used in that plug
It is an electrical cable release. I got one on eBay for just $3.39 on eBay a few months ago.

Unlike the wireless remote it also lets you half press, to focus and activate the exposure meter.

Shutter Release Cord for Pentax K 7 K200D K20D CS 205 | eBay
03-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
from what I have read the older TTL flashes cannot / should not be used because they produce to much voltage...... if they discharges while mounted on the shoe the high voltage of the older flash will fry the K30 then it wont matter what kind of flash you use nothing will work.... thats what I read..... and I do not want to test it to chance,,,, I JUST GOT THIS camera I dont wanna destroy it just yet!!
I understand your concern about the flashes . I had the same fear when I wanted a flash for my DL My first DSLR,and only had my old off brand from my film days. I checked the voltage of my older TTL flash unit before I tried it on my DL I don't remember exactly the voltage but it was extremely low. I feel safe using it on my K-30. I just don't need a flash very often When I do it will go on my K-30 ( I have only had the K-30 for about 6 weeks ). The P-TTL and TTL is just the way the camera meters and sets things up .
The K-30 manual lists ALL the current Pentax flashes as being compatible with the K-30 . Pentax's web site states the same thing. If you are So you could get one of their lesser flashes It is just that the AF200FG doesn't have the ability to bounce, but does have a built in diffuser Listed at 149.95. The AF360GZ is a bit smaller than the 540 and lists at 339.95. These prices are what is listed on Pentax's web site. There is nothing special about the K-30's flash system over Pentax's other DSLR's so if it will work on one it it will work on the others
Here are five shots the first was taken with the TTL flash I have. I bought it used around 10 years ago to use on my P30t. Then the next one is of the flash I used . the next is the flash I used for the first shot taken with the on board flash, and the last two are the box the flash came in . Sorry about the focus I used the view finder on the first two and focus peaking on the last with an A lens . My tripod is out in my truck and I was to lazy to go get it All were taken with my K-30 with an A 35-80 lensF22 around 5 feet and posted in the order taken. I hope this helps
Attached Images