Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Pentax Software

I have the use of Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge. Is there any point in installing the Pentax software which was supplied with my K30?
I have installed software from previous cameras and ghave found it to be redundant, mainly about transferring pictures from the camera to the pc via a USB cable. I have a card reader so this was not required.
Thanks

03-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You won't be able to import K30 PEF files into CS3, but if shooting RAW is important to you, you can switch to DNG and import those into ACR and Bridge for conversion to JPG for PS. If you want to keep using PEFs, you'll need the Pentax software to read them.
03-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You won't be able to import K30 PEF files into CS3, but if shooting RAW is important to you, you can switch to DNG and import those into ACR and Bridge for conversion to JPG for PS. If you want to keep using PEFs, you'll need the Pentax software to read them.
As far as I know the K-30 only does raw in DNG and no longer supports PEF anyway. I had tried to set mine to PEF but I couldn't find any reference to it in either the manual or the camera menus.

Is there actually any advantage in using PEF as opposed to DNG? I used to use PEF on my K-r but that was just because it was the default setting rather than because I thought it had some advantage..
03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's no practical advantage of PEF over DNG other than a very slight difference in file size.

03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I haven't installed the software that came with any device I've bought in years. I always shoot DNG, since it's a pretty much universal format. PEF doesn't play well with any raw converter I tried on Linux, and like all proprietary formats, it's likely to fade away and become impossible to read in 10 years. Judging by what Lister said, it's already disappearing.
03-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dcraw and its many downstream programs handle PEF just fine. As do many other linux programs such as darktable.

Jack
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would try to upgrade to the latest Adobe Camera Raw if you haven't. The process version used for CS3 raws is near ancient and quite inferior to 2012.

M

03-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the Pentax software for...

Creating the exif database.
Moving files. After processing the PEF (in Elements), there is a jpg and an xmp file. I like to "see" the files as I move them.
04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DuncanP Quote
I have the use of Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge. Is there any point in installing the Pentax software which was supplied with my K30?
I have installed software from previous cameras and ghave found it to be redundant, mainly about transferring pictures from the camera to the pc via a USB cable. I have a card reader so this was not required.
Thanks
Nope. All I use is CS3 works great!
04-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Silkypix will give just about the best colours and noise reduction, Adobe Camera RAW 7.3 in CS6 is almost as good but is far better for highlight recovery. CS3 dunno, it's pretty old now. I used to use CS4/CS5 and ACR 5&6 with my K100D and the colours were nowhere near as good as Silkypix 2/3/4 but Adobe are better now in that respect.
04-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Silkypix will give just about the best colours and noise reduction, Adobe Camera RAW 7.3 in CS6 is almost as good but is far better for highlight recovery. CS3 dunno, it's pretty old now. I used to use CS4/CS5 and ACR 5&6 with my K100D and the colours were nowhere near as good as Silkypix 2/3/4 but Adobe are better now in that respect.
I am actually surprised to hear you say that. I am using CS3 and Adobe Raw 4.6.0.30 and I get excellent color rendition. I did several comparisons between Silkypix 4, CS3 and even did a 30 day trial with CS6. I would have to say that I found that, for me, the difference between CS6 and CS3 did not justify the cost. I used to upgrade regularly but missed both the upgrade window to CS4 and CS5 so now my only option is full price purchase. I certainly did not see an improvement in color rendition with Silkypix. I also found Adobe Camera RAW and CS3 is faster and easier to use then Silkypix. Admittedly part of that is my familiarity with CS3 but also seems to me that using Adobe Camera RAW to develop is more intuitive. Can't comment on the noise issue as with the K-30 very seldom need noise reduction and when I do I use Neat Image plug-in. I will go back and try the Silkypix NR process though. However, For me at least it is easier and faster to get a RAW image developed and ready for use with RAW and CS3 especially if the image is anything but perfect. As you said, recovering highlights is outstanding with Adobe RAW and one of the reasons I shoot RAW is to get that extended dynamic range capability.

That is my experience at least.
04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks. I've just downloaded an update for Adobe Raw 4.6.
04-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
I am actually surprised to hear you say that. I am using CS3 and Adobe Raw 4.6.0.30 and I get excellent color rendition. I did several comparisons between Silkypix 4, CS3 and even did a 30 day trial with CS6. I would have to say that I found that, for me, the difference between CS6 and CS3 did not justify the cost. I used to upgrade regularly but missed both the upgrade window to CS4 and CS5 so now my only option is full price purchase. I certainly did not see an improvement in color rendition with Silkypix. I also found Adobe Camera RAW and CS3 is faster and easier to use then Silkypix. Admittedly part of that is my familiarity with CS3 but also seems to me that using Adobe Camera RAW to develop is more intuitive. Can't comment on the noise issue as with the K-30 very seldom need noise reduction and when I do I use Neat Image plug-in. I will go back and try the Silkypix NR process though. However, For me at least it is easier and faster to get a RAW image developed and ready for use with RAW and CS3 especially if the image is anything but perfect. As you said, recovering highlights is outstanding with Adobe RAW and one of the reasons I shoot RAW is to get that extended dynamic range capability.

That is my experience at least.
The problems I used to have with earlier ACRs and the K100D was mostly reds taking on a orange hue. I've no idea how different sensors would have fared though.
Silkypix does need a lot of time spent on it to master the interface, but once it's clicked in the old grey matter it's logical and very very easy to use. Having said that, ACR is easier to learn and I use it more nowadays because of the 1 stop or more advantage in highlight recovery - it's quite wonderful how details and true colours suddenly pop out of a blown out cloudy sky.
04-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
The problems I used to have with earlier ACRs and the K100D was mostly reds taking on a orange hue. I've no idea how different sensors would have fared though.
Silkypix does need a lot of time spent on it to master the interface, but once it's clicked in the old grey matter it's logical and very very easy to use. Having said that, ACR is easier to learn and I use it more nowadays because of the 1 stop or more advantage in highlight recovery - it's quite wonderful how details and true colours suddenly pop out of a blown out cloudy sky.
Not only details saved from blown highlights but detail recovery from the shadows as well. One thing I did notice with Silkypix is that its colour temperature is always different then ACR . . .cooler by 300-400 degrees. Seemed strange to me. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to find out why but I expect it to get that info from the DNG file and don't see why two programs should differ unless it is set to do something other then "As Shot" and if it is it is not obvious how to chane it unlike with ACR where the drop down menu is right there at the colour temp slider. Oh well.