03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

k-7 vs k-30 shutter noise

Has anyone been able to compare this?

thanks

03-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 wipes the floor with the K30. Not even close.
03-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
K7 wipes the floor with the K30. Not even close.
Can you clarify that statement?
03-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, my K-7 I could use in any concert - my K-30 no way - only in noisy ones (music etc).
Never had a problem scaring birds away - now I do have the problem - means I have to be quick on the draw.

QuoteOriginally posted by caver3d Quote

03-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sure, I'll try. I owned both cameras at the same time for a few weeks, so I had a good chance to compare the two.

The K7 is much quieter than the K30. I never actually measured the exact noise level of each camera so I can't give any specific measurements, but I would describe the sound from the K7 as a "whisper" and the K30 as a "slap".

In a restaurant with a normal level of ambient noise, if I was using the K7 to take pictures of my food and/or my meal companion(s), I wouldn't expect the people at the next table over to hear the pictures being taken. I can't say the same about the K30.

For street shots in a normal street environment, unless I was using a lens with a focal length greater than say 70mm, I would half expect my intended photographic target to hear the mirror slap of the K30. On the other hand, I feel confident in getting under 50mm range with the K7 and not being noticed.

I think a big thing too is that the mirror slap of the K30 is quite "sharp", almost like a click, and tends to penetrate through ambient noise easier, whereas the mirror action of the K7 is a tiny bit more spread out (by fractions of a second) but it helps soften the sound coming from it too.

Examples of the sound coming from each camera's mirror actions can probably be found on YouTube.

One last thing though, given all that I've said above, the K30 still wipes the floor with K7 in virtually every other metric.

Hope that helps.
04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Sure, I'll try. I owned both cameras at the same time for a few weeks, so I had a good chance to compare the two.

The K7 is much quieter than the K30. I never actually measured the exact noise level of each camera so I can't give any specific measurements, but I would describe the sound from the K7 as a "whisper" and the K30 as a "slap".

In a restaurant with a normal level of ambient noise, if I was using the K7 to take pictures of my food and/or my meal companion(s), I wouldn't expect the people at the next table over to hear the pictures being taken. I can't say the same about the K30.

For street shots in a normal street environment, unless I was using a lens with a focal length greater than say 70mm, I would half expect my intended photographic target to hear the mirror slap of the K30. On the other hand, I feel confident in getting under 50mm range with the K7 and not being noticed.

I think a big thing too is that the mirror slap of the K30 is quite "sharp", almost like a click, and tends to penetrate through ambient noise easier, whereas the mirror action of the K7 is a tiny bit more spread out (by fractions of a second) but it helps soften the sound coming from it too.

Examples of the sound coming from each camera's mirror actions can probably be found on YouTube.

One last thing though, given all that I've said above, the K30 still wipes the floor with K7 in virtually every other metric.

Hope that helps.
Thanks very much for the explanation. And, I agree that, in spite of the louder shutter noise, the K-30 really is a great camera - and an excellent bang for the buck.
04-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks very much for the explanation. And, I agree that, in spite of the louder shutter noise, the K-30 really is a great camera - and an excellent bang for the buck.
Freudian slip?
04-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Freudian slip?
It is what it is. I'm sticking with it.

04-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I looked inside my K-30 while the shutter operated, it's rather loud without a lens on, and you would think the main noise would be the mirror hitting the end stops, but where it hits is a large wall of soft rubber so I presume the noise comes from somewhere out of sight.
04-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #10

The K7 and K5 (all variants) have exceptionally 'soft' sounding shutter mechanisms. All other models have a metallic clack, at more or less the same volume.

Entry level Nikons and Canons are more quiet (or softer) than other Pentax models.