Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
K30 cards n more

question for the those in the know.. memory cards for the K30, I have herd good things about sandisk extreme, so; 8GB? 16GB? 32GB?
and for speed 30MB or 45MB..... or should I go with the much more expensive pro extreme series cards for the faster read n write option or is it overkill??
I just got the camera and havent purchased any cards yet.... I am hoping to get some insight.. I am also going to need a decent but not too expensive card reader,, something dependable that will work with the cards I need
any and all suggestions would help and are greatly appreciated..... this is all new to me

also after tons of reading I think the flash I have to go with is the metz 58af-2,, I will be using my old Tamaron 28-300mm macro zoom and want the flash to work in the auto mode. Am I making the best decision?? [Its a very expensive flash but they say it does everything correct] is this overkill? I want the auto focus /auto flash option to work, it will make things easier I think]
suggestions comments advise all wanted and appreciated
again thank you to all for your help
jssurfer

03-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,141
QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
question for the those in the know.. memory cards for the K30, I have herd good things about sandisk extreme, so; 8GB? 16GB? 32GB?
and for speed 30MB or 45MB..... or should I go with the much more expensive pro extreme series cards for the faster read n write option or is it overkill??
I just got the camera and havent purchased any cards yet.... I am hoping to get some insight.. I am also going to need a decent but not too expensive card reader,, something dependable that will work with the cards I need
any and all suggestions would help and are greatly appreciated..... this is all new to me

also after tons of reading I think the flash I have to go with is the metz 58af-2,, I will be using my old Tamaron 28-300mm macro zoom and want the flash to work in the auto mode. Am I making the best decision?? [Its a very expensive flash but they say it does everything correct] is this overkill? I want the auto focus /auto flash option to work, it will make things easier I think]
suggestions comments advise all wanted and appreciated
again thank you to all for your help
jssurfer
Anything above 30Mb/s is overkill as far as your camera is concerned. If you get a couple of these you'll have quality cards for cheap:

SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 SDSDX2-016G-X46

I use the 32Gb version in my K-5. Only really high-end cameras can make use of the write speed of the extreme pro cards, i.e. the D4 or D800 from Nikon due to their high burst rate / large files.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
While current camera's can't make use of it, future camera could and of course when uploading the files to your computer the speed helps.
So above 20~30mb/s it's a matter how much patience you've.
Future proof is not really important here unless 4k video becomes a standard for DSLR but you don't want to use 16gb for that anyway.
03-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 60
Personally i use a san disc extreme pro 16gb. For three reasons, for speed when transferring to my computer, for its slightly more ''rugged'' features, and i got a brilliant deal on it. i hope this helps.

03-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Pauld's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 501
The Extreme/Extreme Pro are excellent cards. The bigger the storage capacity the bigger the price but I personally don't use anything over 16gb for safety reasons. Let's say you were out shooting all day with a 32 or 64gb card and when you get home to download your photos and something happens to the card like an error or it breaks for some unforeseen reason (it does happen) and suddenly you've lost all your photos. If you shoot with smaller 8 or 16gb cards you may have to carry more cards but your pics will be spread out among a few different cards.
03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
I still need to see some math that proves that spreading out the risk is better.

So far i lost 2 cards and broke 1 card because of constantly putting in and out of the camera.
So in the end i would have been better off with 1 gigantic card that would not leave the camera.
No photos have been lost because of data corruption or anything like that.
03-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Original Poster
looks like

looks like 16GB cards w/ 45MB will do it and I like the price of the 2 in the pack deal from adorama and I can get 1 pro card also to try out.
I guess Ill ask them when they open after the holiday what kinds of readers they have,, any suggestions on that from anyone?

Also for fellow K30 owners [if anyone out there is using The K30 with a zoom lens] what kind of flashes are you using?? I want to keep the auto focus working with the lens.. I read the metz58 AF2 is the only one besides pentax 350 that works correctly, it costs a bit less althogh its still very expensive... any suggestions on that?

input appreciated as usuall..... If I can Ill order everything at once, maybe save on shipping,, or a used flash if they have one
jssurfer
03-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.K.
Posts: 685
QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
Also for fellow K30 owners [if anyone out there is using The K30 with a zoom lens] what kind of flashes are you using?? I want to keep the auto focus working with the lens.. I read the metz58 AF2 is the only one besides pentax 350 that works correctly, it costs a bit less althogh its still very expensive... any suggestions on that?
The Sigma EF-610DG Super works OK in P-TTL as long as you allow for the 1EV difference with bounce. HSS is a bit flakey though so perhaps the EF-610 ST would be a good choice as it doesn't have HSS and is cheaper.

03-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 698
QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
......
also after tons of reading I think the flash I have to go with is the metz 58af-2,, I will be using my old Tamaron 28-300mm macro zoom and want the flash to work in the auto mode. Am I making the best decision?? [Its a very expensive flash but they say it does everything correct] is this overkill? I want the auto focus /auto flash option to work, it will make things easier I think]
suggestions comments advise all wanted and appreciated
again thank you to all for your help
jssurfer
The Metz 58-af2 is indeed an excellent flash unit in all aspects, except one unfortunate one - it is not fully compatible with the K-30, at least not yet.

I have one, which I bought originally for my K-r. It works perfectly with it but unfortuantely I found that this is not so with the K-30.

I emailed Metz about the problem and they acknowledged that there are incompatibility issues with the K-30 and that they are working on a new firmware upgrade for the flash. They couldn't give me a specific date but told me they'd let me know when it became available. However that was October and I still haven't heard from them. I've checked the Metz web site and the K-30 still isn't listed under the supported Pentax models. I'm sending off another email to ask whether there has been any progress with the new firmware - will relay when I get a response.

The first issue I found was that the high speed sync doesn't work at all (it works perfectly with the K-r though). Subsequently I have found that while P-TTL seems to work properly quite often, that is the best I can say about it as it very often underexposes by up to two or three stops.

Note that none of these issues occur with the K-r. Indeed I never once found any issue with this flash and the K-r so whatever is not working properly with the K-30 is not really Metz's fault but probably caused by something Pentax changed in the way the camera talks to the flash.

I have been waiting and waiting for the firmware update but if it takes much longer I will have to (very reluctantly) sell it and get a Pentax AF540FGZ instead of it.

If you want to use only the manual and auto (non-PTTL) mode then it will work fine. The AF illuminator also seems to work properly and for some odd reason P-TTL in remote mode also seems to work OK, but I haven;t used it that much so I may have just been lucky. However unless you are willing to wait for the upgrade I would suggest you go for another flash, perhaps the Pentax AF540FGZ which is quite similar in terms of capabilities and specification but has the advantage that it is guaranteed to work with the K-30.
03-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The Metz 58-af2 is indeed an excellent flash unit in all aspects, except one unfortunate one - it is not fully compatible with the K-30, at least not yet.

I have one, which I bought originally for my K-r. It works perfectly with it but unfortuantely I found that this is not so with the K-30.

I emailed Metz about the problem and they acknowledged that there are incompatibility issues with the K-30 and that they are working on a new firmware upgrade for the flash. They couldn't give me a specific date but told me they'd let me know when it became available. However that was October and I still haven't heard from them. I've checked the Metz web site and the K-30 still isn't listed under the supported Pentax models. I'm sending off another email to ask whether there has been any progress with the new firmware - will relay when I get a response.

The first issue I found was that the high speed sync doesn't work at all (it works perfectly with the K-r though). Subsequently I have found that while P-TTL seems to work properly quite often, that is the best I can say about it as it very often underexposes by up to two or three stops.

Note that none of these issues occur with the K-r. Indeed I never once found any issue with this flash and the K-r so whatever is not working properly with the K-30 is not really Metz's fault but probably caused by something Pentax changed in the way the camera talks to the flash.

I have been waiting and waiting for the firmware update but if it takes much longer I will have to (very reluctantly) sell it and get a Pentax AF540FGZ instead of it.

If you want to use only the manual and auto (non-PTTL) mode then it will work fine. The AF illuminator also seems to work properly and for some odd reason P-TTL in remote mode also seems to work OK, but I haven;t used it that much so I may have just been lucky. However unless you are willing to wait for the upgrade I would suggest you go for another flash, perhaps the Pentax AF540FGZ which is quite similar in terms of capabilities and specification but has the advantage that it is guaranteed to work with the K-30.
so other than the pentax flash are there any other flashes that are fully compatiable with the K30?? getting an accurate answer to this has become somewhat of a problem in that I have searched many different locations... I read the metx worked in the auto mode [zoom sync],,, the pentax works but only in manual mode,,, and the flash distance. pentax 85mm metz 105mm [better] as explained in the Flash comparison guide in this forum. also the metz works as a slave the pentax wont. MakeModelTilt/SwivelZoomWirelessHSS2nd SyncManualAuto2nd FlashPentaxAF200FGFull onlyPentaxAF360FGZTilt Only85mm✓✓✓6 steps✓▓PentaxAF540FGZBoth85mm✓✓✓7 steps✓▓Metz44 AF-1Both105mm│✓⁴✓4 stepsMetz50 AF-1Both105mm✓⁴✓✓8 stepsMetz52 AF-1Both105mm✓✓✓25 stepsMetz58 AF-2Both105mm✓✓✓25 steps✓✓SigmaEF-610 DG STBoth105mm│Full or ╣⁄₁₆SigmaEF-610 DG SuperBoth105mm✓✓✓7 steps⁷MakeModelTilt/SwivelZoomWirelessHSS2nd SyncManualAuto2nd FlashPentaxAF200FGFull onlyPentaxAF360FGZTilt Only85mm✓✓✓6 steps✓▓PentaxAF540FGZBoth85mm✓✓✓7 steps✓▓Metz44 AF-1Both105mm│✓⁴✓4 stepsMetz50 AF-1Both105mm✓⁴✓✓8 stepsMetz52 AF-1Both105mm✓✓✓25 stepsMetz58 AF-2Both105mm✓✓✓25 steps✓✓SigmaEF-610 DG STBoth105mm│Full or ╣⁄₁₆SigmaEF-610 DG SuperBoth105mm✓✓✓7 steps⁷
03-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
so other than the pentax flash are there any other flashes that are fully compatiable with the K30?? getting an accurate answer to this has become somewhat of a problem in that I have searched many different locations... I read the metx worked in the auto mode [zoom sync],,, the pentax works but only in manual mode,,, and the flash distance. pentax 85mm metz 105mm [better] as explained in the Flash comparison guide in this forum. also the metz works as a slave the pentax wont. MakeModelTilt/SwivelZoomWirelessHSS2nd SyncManualAuto2nd FlashPentaxAF200FGFull onlyPentaxAF360FGZTilt Only85mm✓✓✓6 steps✓▓PentaxAF540FGZBoth85mm✓✓✓7 steps✓▓Metz44 AF-1Both105mm│✓⁴✓4 stepsMetz50 AF-1Both105mm✓⁴✓✓8 stepsMetz52 AF-1Both105mm✓✓✓25 stepsMetz58 AF-2Both105mm✓✓✓25 steps✓✓SigmaEF-610 DG STBoth105mm│Full or ╣⁄₁₆SigmaEF-610 DG SuperBoth105mm✓✓✓7 steps⁷MakeModelTilt/SwivelZoomWirelessHSS2nd SyncManualAuto2nd FlashPentaxAF200FGFull onlyPentaxAF360FGZTilt Only85mm✓✓✓6 steps✓▓PentaxAF540FGZBoth85mm✓✓✓7 steps✓▓Metz44 AF-1Both105mm│✓⁴✓4 stepsMetz50 AF-1Both105mm✓⁴✓✓8 stepsMetz52 AF-1Both105mm✓✓✓25 stepsMetz58 AF-2Both105mm✓✓✓25 steps✓✓SigmaEF-610 DG STBoth105mm│Full or ╣⁄₁₆SigmaEF-610 DG SuperBoth105mm✓✓✓7 steps⁷
apologies the copy and paste didnt come out too good ill try again here

PentaxAF360FGZTilt Only85mm✓✓✓6 steps✓▓PentaxAF540FGZBoth85mm✓✓✓7 steps✓▓Metz44 AF-1Both105mm│✓⁴✓4 stepsMetz50 AF-1Both105mm✓⁴✓✓8 stepsMetz52 AF-1Both105mm✓✓✓25 stepsMetz58 AF-2Both105mm✓✓✓25 steps✓✓
04-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kanata, ON
Photos: Albums
Posts: 130
QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
question for the those in the know.. memory cards for the K30, I have herd good things about sandisk extreme, so; 8GB? 16GB? 32GB?
and for speed 30MB or 45MB..... or should I go with the much more expensive pro extreme series cards for the faster read n write option or is it overkill??
I just got the camera and havent purchased any cards yet.... I am hoping to get some insight.. I am also going to need a decent but not too expensive card reader,, something dependable that will work with the cards I need
any and all suggestions would help and are greatly appreciated..... this is all new to me

I have several cards ranging from an 8 Gig Extreme Pro which I picked up because it was on a super sale. I also have an Extreme 16 G and can see no difference in camera for sure and while the Pro does download faster to my computer I don't see that being worth the normal price difference. I have been told that either the Extreme or Extreme Pro is the way to go s they are more rugged and tolerate weather extremes better. [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
also after tons of reading I think the flash I have to go with is the metz 58af-2,, I will be using my old Tamaron 28-300mm macro zoom and want the flash to work in the auto mode. Am I making the best decision?? [Its a very expensive flash but they say it does everything correct] is this overkill? I want the auto focus /auto flash option to work, it will make things easier I think]
suggestions comments advise all wanted and appreciated
again thank you to all for your help
jssurfer
I have the 52 and am very pleased with it and it has a compatible software with the K-30,
04-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Original Poster
for bcorson
you said you are using the 52 is that the AF1 or AF2 and a previous poster said the high speed sync doesnt work..... the comparison article agreed,, do you find this to be problematic if you use a zoom lens
04-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kanata, ON
Photos: Albums
Posts: 130
QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
for bcorson
you said you are using the 52 is that the AF1 or AF2 and a previous poster said the high speed sync doesnt work..... the comparison article agreed,, do you find this to be problematic if you use a zoom lens
AF1 is what I have. I have had no problem with HSS but haven't used it lots. Could you tell me where to find this article you referenced? The only issue I have had is it does not display the Aperture value and that is also the only problem I have seen reported (another poster here also had no problem with HSS) . . . check this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/197383-k-30-metz-mecablitz-50...atibility.html



Bob

PS Just saw the other posters comments and he is out of date. The current compatability chart defintely shows the AF1 as compatible.

Last edited by bcorson; 04-01-2013 at 04:41 PM.
04-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 698
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
The Metz 58-af2 is indeed an excellent flash unit in all aspects, except one unfortunate one - it is not fully compatible with the K-30, at least not yet.

I have one, which I bought originally for my K-r. It works perfectly with it but unfortuantely I found that this is not so with the K-30.

I emailed Metz about the problem and they acknowledged that there are incompatibility issues with the K-30 and that they are working on a new firmware upgrade for the flash. They couldn't give me a specific date but told me they'd let me know when it became available. However that was October and I still haven't heard from them. I've checked the Metz web site and the K-30 still isn't listed under the supported Pentax models. I'm sending off another email to ask whether there has been any progress with the new firmware - will relay when I get a response.

The first issue I found was that the high speed sync doesn't work at all (it works perfectly with the K-r though). Subsequently I have found that while P-TTL seems to work properly quite often, that is the best I can say about it as it very often underexposes by up to two or three stops.

Note that none of these issues occur with the K-r. Indeed I never once found any issue with this flash and the K-r so whatever is not working properly with the K-30 is not really Metz's fault but probably caused by something Pentax changed in the way the camera talks to the flash.

I have been waiting and waiting for the firmware update but if it takes much longer I will have to (very reluctantly) sell it and get a Pentax AF540FGZ instead of it.

If you want to use only the manual and auto (non-PTTL) mode then it will work fine. The AF illuminator also seems to work properly and for some odd reason P-TTL in remote mode also seems to work OK, but I haven;t used it that much so I may have just been lucky. However unless you are willing to wait for the upgrade I would suggest you go for another flash, perhaps the Pentax AF540FGZ which is quite similar in terms of capabilities and specification but has the advantage that it is guaranteed to work with the K-30.


Just got good news from Metz. They replied to my email with the news that the new firmware will be available 'probably this month'. It may not be as firm a commitment as one might wish but I am hopeful that even if they don't make it by the end of this month it won't be that much later.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, cards, flash, k-30, k-50, k30, option, pentax k30, pentax k50, suggestions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thần dân PENTAX VN Co., Ltd konkuakonkon Welcomes and Introductions 4 07-10-2011 06:42 AM
Just wonder why Pentax is more expensive n US LFLee Pentax K-5 19 04-18-2011 10:25 PM
with SDXC...are you ready for 1TB or more memory cards? Reportage Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 10-08-2010 09:06 AM
More Memory cards or a portable storage system? melander Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 14 08-13-2008 02:19 AM
Can't help myself laughing at faulty new N****n D300's Confused Pentax DSLR Discussion 42 12-14-2007 09:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top