Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bitten by no auto off when connected to usb

So I downloaded some pictures a few days ago by connecting the usb connector. I just find that easier than constantly removing the SD card. But I apparently forgot to turn off the camera after downloading the pics. And the K-30 will not auto power off when the USB connector is plugged in. So... of course I take the camera with me the next day when I take my kids to the B&O Railroad museum in Baltimore, and the battery is dead.

And, again of course, my spare is in the charger back home. This is the second time in three months of owning the camera that I've done this.

Anyone else do this? Anyone have a way of reminding yourself to not do this? This is pushing me to now order the AA battery insert as a backup.

03-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do it ALL the time. I generally unload my pics at the end of the day when I'm prepping for bed/watching TV/etc then forget to power the camera down.

EDIT: I have the AA adapter, I can't recommend it enough. I haven't been forced to buy AA's when out and about yet, but I've come close and having that option open to me is amazingly nice to have.
03-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I do it ALL the time. I generally unload my pics at the end of the day when I'm prepping for bed/watching TV/etc then forget to power the camera down.

EDIT: I have the AA adapter, I can't recommend it enough. I haven't been forced to buy AA's when out and about yet, but I've come close and having that option open to me is amazingly nice to have.
I use the AA adapter and lithium AA's as my regular power source and have a spare package of batteries available. I keep the OEM battery as backup. I find I get more mileage out of the AA batteries. As stated the AA adapter is a must have accessory.

Regards
03-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just never use the USB cable, my is still in the box, so I never encountered it. But a nice heads up in case I use the cable with my K-5!

03-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just habit.
Have 2 batteries and change to your 2nd battery immediately the 1st one goes flat, then put the 1st one on charge ready for the next swap.
I store the recently charged battery in my camera bag just in case.
03-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't done that but I have got to where I wanted to take pics and found I'd taken the SD card out of the camera to download and not replaced it.

Several times.
03-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I haven't done that but I have got to where I wanted to take pics and found I'd taken the SD card out of the camera to download and not replaced it.

Several times.
Oh, that I've done instead too...

03-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Oh, that I've done instead too...
Same here. Its cheaper to buy a set of AA's on the fly then an SD card, to. Usually.