Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eye-Fi ProX2 geotagging

Is anyone using the latest Pro X2 EyeFi cards? How well does it work in the K-30? I'm interested in one for two reasons: 1) Geotagging, and 2) Sending JPG files to my Android phone, for the occasional immediate upload to Flickr/FB/Email/Whatever.

04-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm using one in my K-01 and my Q, both. Shooting raw, and dropping onto an iPad works well (even if the transfer time is a limit). I've not used the geotagging feature that the EyeFi apps support.

Know that several consider the software required for setting up the card on a PC or mac as a kludge. I'll happily concede that it is, but I've used it exactly once for each card, for the initial set-up.

All said and done, it works well and I'm happy. I'll imagine that it works on the K-30 also, but I ain't got a body for trying it out.
04-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Confirming that the EyeFi ProX2 card works fine in the K30. I picked one up today, and setup was actually quite simple. I got it linked to my Android phone pretty easily, and now I can transfer JPGs to the phone, then to Flickr or wherever else fairly simply. Geotagging works great, too. Granted, my experience with it is less than two hours, but I'm quite impressed so far.
04-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This looks great!

For users of this card:

- How much faster does the battery drain versus a conventional card?
- How long does it take to transfer a single jpg (set at the highest quality)?

04-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some followup...

The battery drain is significant, but I don't yet have a good idea how significant. If you use the card, make sure you've got a second battery on hand.

Geotagging seems to work only with JPGs, and it's not true geotagging. Turns out, it seeks Wifi networks and extrapolates GPS info from that. This is fine if you don't care about precision, but some will. It works with JPGs that I upload to my android phone, but it won't work with RAW files or any file I transfer over my built-in card reader.

I'm not sure if it "geotags" files as the photos are taken or if its done on upload. I strongly suspect the latter. So, if you planned to use it like me (upload the occasional JPG immediately, but transfer mostly RAW files via hardware later), then don't expect any geotag data to be there when you unload the card.

Speed seems fine to me, given the large file sizes. Maybe 10-15 secs per raw file?

I bought it for (a) connectivity and (b) geotagging. Knowing now that I'm only getting half what I thought I was buying, I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

Cheers!
JCD
04-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
It's no big wonder Eye-Fi can't geotag precisely, where should it get the GPS data from? Even a Android phone with GPS will do better here. If you want to geotag your RAW files get the Pentax GPS unit.
05-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The best solution would be a GPS--wireless device, preferably with its own power supply. Eye-Fi is still a pretty slow and clumsy solution.