"However, this new firmware probably will be released within this month"

I'll be crossing my fingers.

04-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Just got a reply from Metz:

"However, this new firmware probably will be released within this month"

I'll be crossing my fingers.
and this reply from metz is for the 58 AF2 to make it fully compatable with the K30.... the other poster had said the 52 AF1 is already compatable,, but in the comparison guide the 52 doesnt have 2nd flash or strobe mode,,,, are these useful features I would want? would they not be needed w/ K30? I will be using AF mode mostly w/a AF Tamaron 20/300, and HSS is needed for multiple shots so should strobe mode be something I would be using ? or is HSS and strobe mode different ?
04-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
and this reply from metz is for the 58 AF2 to make it fully compatable with the K30.... the other poster had said the 52 AF1 is already compatable,, but in the comparison guide the 52 doesnt have 2nd flash or strobe mode,,,, are these useful features I would want? would they not be needed w/ K30? I will be using AF mode mostly w/a AF Tamaron 20/300, and HSS is needed for multiple shots so should strobe mode be something I would be using ? or is HSS and strobe mode different ?
The 52 can function as both a slave and a master unit so not sure what you mean by second unit. It functions fine in both slave and master mode. HSS allows the unit and camera to sink up at higher shutter speeds and so don`t know what you mean about needed for multiple shots. What is strobe mode and what would you use it for is what you need to answer.
04-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the response was regarding AF-II.

By 2nd flash you probably mean rear curtain sync or perhaps red eye reduction? Both work, but rear sync has to be enabled on the flash*. Setting it on the camera does nothing - it used to work just fine on my K-x. Rear curtain sync is generally speaking useful. I have enabled this as my default setting.

If by strobe mode you mean whether you can trigger the flash using another then yes, you can do that.

The only true feature that to my knowledge is missing, is HSS. HSS is useful when you need greater than 1/180th shutterspeeds such as when shooting a portrait during sunset and you want both the person and the sunset to be proper exposed.

*and it's limited to 1/90. Not 1/180 as I otherwise get as my max shutterspeed.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 04-10-2013 at 04:56 PM.
04-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

Yes, the response was regarding AF-II.

By 2nd flash you probably mean rear curtain sync or perhaps red eye reduction? Both work, but rear sync has to be enabled on the flash*. Setting it on the camera does nothing - it used to work just fine on my K-x. Rear curtain sync is generally speaking useful. I have enabled this as my default setting.

If by strobe mode you mean whether you can trigger the flash using another then yes, you can do that.

The only true feature that to my knowledge is missing, is HSS. HSS is useful when you need greater than 1/180th shutterspeeds such as when shooting a portrait during sunset and you want both the person and the sunset to be p

*and it's limited to 1/90. Not 1/180 as I otherwise get as my max shutterspeed.
I am speaking about the 52: 1) HSS absolutely does work and without HSS max flash sync is 180th with K 30 and the 52
04-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I mixed jssurfers post up with 58. Sorry about that.
04-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #22

I mixed jssurfers post up with 58. Sorry about that.
No problem. I thought that was the case which is why I highlighted in colour and made the point I was talking about the 52.
04-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
I am speaking about the 52: 1) HSS absolutely does work and without HSS max flash sync is 180th with K 30 and the 52
all my questions come from reading the info at Feature Comparison - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison notice the last 2 columns reguarding 2nd flash and auto refers to auto thyristor [sensor] Pentax has it in manual mode only as indicated footnote[2].. 58 yes 52 no... this feature seems important if you read its description... scrolling down to the second graph shows strobe ie: multiple flashes per exposure [if you click on the colum title it brings up a page explaining that particular column.... understand guys and I really appreciate your help how confusing this all sounds,, I just want the flash that gives me the options needed at the best price, so choosing between the 2 when looking at all this info is overwhelming... I would even concider a different brand flash at a cheaper price if it could read all the options avalb. in the camera.... but, I will spend the extra money if the options are there; hence looking at these Metz flashes... far as i can tell its down to these two for best compatibility!! I am ready to buy one or the other and it looks like the 58 may be better {but is pending firmware for HSS???} the site says both flashes have HSS and this is why the questions here... comparison articles accuracy.

04-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #24

]all my questions come from reading the info at [url=http://pttl.mattdm.org/features]Feature Comparison - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison[/url First you need to remember that this is a comparison of features available per the flash manual and NOT a statement of which features are currently working with which cameras which is why posters have identified that, for example, apparently HSS with the 58 does not work in the K 30 given current firmware.

auto refers to auto thyristor [sensor] Manual thyristor is fine by me given the type of flash photography that I do. If you think you will be doing a lot of non P-TTL flash work where action is quick so you don't have time to make manual adjustments then you need it. I just didn't see that I would need it enough to be worth the extra cost or the wait . . . I have had and been using my flash for four months now and been lots of pictures I would not have gotten as on board flash couldn't cut it.

reguarding 2nd flash When I click on "2nd flash" it takes me to "secondary reflector" and based upon that description when I need that kind of change in light I use a slave flash or two. BTW, looks like only two flashes in the list have that capability . . . given that how critical could it be?

Strobe effect: I can see this might be a nice to have for continuous shooting situations but remember that to have quick multi flashes it has to be flashing at significantly reduced output so what will the reach and effectivness be? In the situations I can see where I might like to have it I know I would be a fair distance from my subject so not likely an effective tool for me. Although there are "flash extenders" which can help that if you are seriously into the kind of photography where you need that capability.

I don't know what else to say except that only you know how you are going to be using the equipment you buy. If, given your newness to the camera etc you are still not sure perhaps the best approach is to use the camera and see what situations you get into and what features you would have needed to have in the different situations. Take note of how often you use a flash and under what conditions. And most importantly, enjoy the search! For me researching new equipment is almost as much fun as finally getting it. Perhaps that's the engineer in me. Hope this helps. Also remember no matter what you decide, 52, 58 or say Sigma 610 Super (my second choice to Metz 52 but not compatible with K 30 and not field upgradable) you will be getting a good piece of equipment that will last a long time.

Last edited by bcorson; 04-11-2013 at 06:58 AM.
04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Still nothing regarding the firmware. The K-30 has been out for a while now and I don't see why they haven't been able to release it yet, or earlier for that matter.
04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #26

Original Poster
Still nothing regarding the firmware. The K-30 has been out for a while now and I don't see why they haven't been able to release it yet, or earlier for that matter.
after all the info I went with your advice and so now I too am waiting for the firmware update I purchased the 58AF2 I thank everyone on site for all your help in my decision making.... I feel I picked the best choice.... again thank you all very much

I have written as well concerning the up date we should keep each other in touch a heads up for us both Ill post If I get a reply

jssurfer
04-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #27

Its not that they can't do it faster but I am pretty sure they prioritize their efforts to get out the updates that will give the greatest customer satisfaction and provide greatest sales impact so . . .
04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #28
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can tell you from my own experience with the 50 AF-1 that it is not fully compatible with the K-30. I had a K-x and it took fantastic pictures with the 50 AF-1. Once I got the K-30, everything came out seriously underexposed. I wrote to Metz many many times about the issue and they kept promising that a firmware was coming out next trimester, next month, next week, next whatever, to fix the issue, but it never happened. So it's been a lot of trial and error in manual mode and because of that I don't recommend a Metz flash with the K-30, not worth all the missed and/or badly exposed shots.
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I think I'll start doing the same - keep writing to them. I can't believe the support is this bad and on top of that, that they keep telling us something will be out soon :/
04-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #30

Original Poster
I think I'll start doing the same - keep writing to them. I can't believe the support is this bad and on top of that, that they keep telling us something will be out soon :/
what is the exact e-mail address you use when writing them.... I called and spoke w/ them,,, they never gave a call back; sooo post the addy and we can all send our mail to same address... if they gey enoughf complaints... squeaky wheel gets the oil
joe