Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

best metz for K 30 w/ tamaron 28/300mm macro zoom

after getting tons of info form this and other sites it seem that Metz makes several flashes that ARE compatable with the K30.. what my question is to anyone that can answer it is.... Which Metz flash is best compatable with the K30 in AF HSS PTTL and "all" other modes
''while using a Tamaron AF 28/300mm macro zoom lens"".... Iv read about Metz 50 /52/ 58 /af1/af2/ could I get some clarification as the info from some of the articles and feedback Iv recvd hasnt addressed the zoom issue specfically.... which of these flashes do the job with the zoom macro lens [and updates firmware]??... I do apoligize to all because this question has been addressed before, but; I would like clarification for the zoom lens application.... can anyone give tried feed back?? I would like to purchase a flash and not spend more than I need to . or more flash than is needed to do the job correctly... smaller size is preferred but must do the applications correctly.
I will buy the flash best suited reguardless... hope you guys understand how intimidating the choices are for a newbi

again thank you to everyone here........ what a great forum this is... my best to all

04-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jssurfer Quote
after getting tons of info form this and other sites it seem that Metz makes several flashes that ARE compatable with the K30.. what my question is to anyone that can answer it is.... Which Metz flash is best compatable with the K30 in AF HSS PTTL and "all" other modes
''while using a Tamaron AF 28/300mm macro zoom lens"".... Iv read about Metz 50 /52/ 58 /af1/af2/ could I get some clarification as the info from some of the articles and feedback Iv recvd hasnt addressed the zoom issue specfically.... which of these flashes do the job with the zoom macro lens [and updates firmware]??... I do apoligize to all because this question has been addressed before, but; I would like clarification for the zoom lens application.... can anyone give tried feed back?? I would like to purchase a flash and not spend more than I need to . or more flash than is needed to do the job correctly... smaller size is preferred but must do the applications correctly.
I will buy the flash best suited reguardless... hope you guys understand how intimidating the choices are for a newbi

again thank you to everyone here........ what a great forum this is... my best to all
According to the Metz compatibility chart the ONLY flash currently compatible with the K-30 is the 52 AF-1. I have had mine for about 3 months now and I am very pleased with its performance. Having said that auto zoom is limited to 105 mm I believe, so beyond that may require some trial shots. Other then not displaying the aperature used on the flash's LCD i have found all features work well. Also, other then the 52 AF1 and of course the Pantax flashes, as of the last time I looked other flashes by Metz and other manufacturers are not compatible (at least fully) with the K-30. Also, some of the Comparison articles that I have seen do not accurately describe the feature set of the 52 AF1. I suggest going to the Metz website and downloading the manual for the 52AF1 to get the scoop from metz on its features.

Last edited by bcorson; 04-04-2013 at 08:56 AM.
04-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
According to the Metz compatibility chart the ONLY flash currently compatible with the K-30 is the 52 AF-1. I have had mine for about 3 months now and I am very pleased with its performance. Having said that auto zoom is limited to 105 mm I believe, so beyond that may require some trial shots. Other then not displaying the aperature used on the flash's LCD i have found all features work well. Also, other then the 52 AF1 and of course the Pantax flashes, as of the last time I looked other flashes by Metz and other manufacturers are not compatible (at least fully) with the K-30. Also, some of the Comparison articles that I have seen do not accurately describe the feature set of the 52 AF1. I suggest going to the Metz website and downloading the manual for the 52AF1 to get the scoop from metz on its features.
Just a few days ago I got the news from Metz that the firmware upgrade for the 58-AF2 to make it compatible with the K-30 is expected by the end of this month.
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Just a few days ago I got the news from Metz that the firmware upgrade for the 58-AF2 to make it compatible with the K-30 is expected by the end of this month.
For me I don't see the substantially higher price of the 58AF2 as being worth it for the few additional features and I neeed a flash in December anyway so 58 was not an option. Check the specs though as again you are looking at auto zoom feature only out to 105 mm.

04-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
For me I don't see the substantially higher price of the 58AF2 as being worth it for the few additional features and I neeed a flash in December anyway so 58 was not an option. Check the specs though as again you are looking at auto zoom feature only out to 105 mm.
yes I also read the 58 is good out to the "same focal distance ie 105mm" as the 52,, having said that the 52 is about 50.00 less 1 gram lighter and they were saying the bottom of the flash is bigger than the top ??? between the two, what would I gain w/ the 58 [after the update] that the 52 dosent offer. I mean $50. is $50. well saved..... if ,saving it is not at the expense of lost performance.
04-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

what would I gain w/ the 58 [after the update] that the 52 dosent offer. I mean $50. is $50. well saved..... if ,saving it is not at the expense of lost performance.
Disclaimer: I don't have Metz 58 and 52 (any version).

I think the 58 has auto thyristor mode, and the 52 doesn't.

If the difference in price is only $50, I'd take the 58 any time.

In fact, if a flash does not have auto mode, I don't buy it.
04-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #7

yes I also read the 58 is good out to the "same focal distance ie 105mm" as the 52,, having said that the 52 is about 50.00 less 1 gram lighter and they were saying the bottom of the flash is bigger than the top ??? between the two, what would I gain w/ the 58 [after the update] that the 52 dosent offer. I mean $50. is $50. well saved..... if ,saving it is not at the expense of lost performance.
I didn't see features that I thought I needed in the 58 that were not in the 52. AT $50 difference that is better then what I recall seeing here . . .think it was over $130 difference so with taxes you were pushing $150 difference or nearly 50% more.
04-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Disclaimer: I don't have Metz 58 and 52 (any version).

I think the 58 has auto thyristor mode, and the 52 doesn't.

If the difference in price is only $50, I'd take the 58 any time.

In fact, if a flash does not have auto mode, I don't buy it.
I believe the only "auto mode" difference between the two is auto output control when using a manual lens and when I use a manual lens I have no problem going all manual.

04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I believe the only "auto mode" difference between the two is auto output control when using a manual lens and when I use a manual lens I have no problem going all manual.
If you're comfortable with manual mode, more power (or in this case, more light ) to you.

I am not always comfortable with manual mode, especially when I need to bounce the light, or when it gets fast and furious. I don't have time to adjust the power ratio.

Moreover, I need auto mode because:

- I use cameras of different brands (currently Pentax, Canon, and Ricoh). In auto mode, the flash by itself "knows" how to adjust the power for accurate exposure. It does not depend on the camera.

- Many people may blink in reacting to the p-TTL preflash strobe, and thus their eyes close during the main strobe. I don't use p-TTL mode for group photo.
04-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If you're comfortable with manual mode, more power (or in this case, more light ) to you.

I am not always comfortable with manual mode, especially when I need to bounce the light, or when it gets fast and furious. I don't have time to adjust the power ratio.

Moreover, I need auto mode because:

- I use cameras of different brands (currently Pentax, Canon, and Ricoh). In auto mode, the flash by itself "knows" how to adjust the power for accurate exposure. It does not depend on the camera.

- Many people may blink in reacting to the p-TTL preflash strobe, and thus their eyes close during the main strobe. I don't use p-TTL mode for group photo.
I understand why you need it. By the way I only use manual lens when things are not fast and furious. Anyway, I needed a flash in Dec and the 52 was the only real choice with the K 30 that gave me everything I was looking for and besides I couldn't justify the extra bucks at nearly $150 here in Canada . . . rip off compared to US prices but . . .
04-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #11

Original Poster
I didn't see features that I thought I needed in the 58 that were not in the 52. AT $50 difference that is better then what I recall seeing here . . .think it was over $130 difference so with taxes you were pushing $150 difference or nearly 50% more.
my bad you are correct its about 100. --125. less
04-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Lets wait and see what happens. I wrote to Metz 6-7 months ago and back then the response was that it should be out during fall 2012. I'm still waiting :/
04-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #13

my bad you are correct its about 100. --125. less
My price difference is based upon prices here in CAnada . . .I saw some US prices where the 52 was same price as here while the 58 was cheaper in the US then in Canada.
04-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Lets wait and see what happens. I wrote to Metz 6-7 months ago and back then the response was that it should be out during fall 2012. I'm still waiting :/
So while waiting all these months what are you doing for a flash??
04-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So while waiting all these months what are you doing for a flash??
I can use it just fine but without HSS. It has over the winther not been a big deal to me, but now that we are approaching spring and summer, it will be - unless it's fixed soon.