Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #31

i've just updated from 1.00 to 1.04 what have I missed.I've not had any screen bugs the only thing I've had is that it has a problem with 32gb cards

04-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #32

I'm running 1.00, I got my camera a couple weeks ago, I guess the store I bought it from doesn't get much turnover on their Pentax stock! I have experienced an intermittent memory card error also (32gb Lexar platinum II). I'm wondering if it is worth updating the firmware, with hopes that it will remedy this problem, or if 1.04 will introduce more problems in other areas...
04-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Pentax cameras always seem to come with the original firmware.
04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by forc Quote
I'm running 1.00, I got my camera a couple weeks ago, I guess the store I bought it from doesn't get much turnover on their Pentax stock! I have experienced an intermittent memory card error also (32gb Lexar platinum II). I'm wondering if it is worth updating the firmware, with hopes that it will remedy this problem, or if 1.04 will introduce more problems in other areas...
Lexar cards are crap on the K30.

I was using a SanDisk 8gb card for months and it worked perfectly fine. No errors ever. I've recently upgraded to a 16gb Eye-Fi card. No errors so far after maybe 600 or so shots.

I briefly used a Lexar 32gb card at the end of last year because I picked one up on sale. I would say I experienced problems about 50% of the time. It now sits in a box on my shelf because the store wouldn't accept a return on an opened memory card. I won't even trust it as a backup card (my 8gb SanDisk gets the nod).

It's the card.

EDIT: Also, I'm still on the original 1.00 firmware until Pentax releases some drastic performance update or a killer feature upgrade.

04-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Lexar cards are crap on the K30.

I was using a SanDisk 8gb card for months and it worked perfectly fine. No errors ever. I've recently upgraded to a 16gb Eye-Fi card. No errors so far after maybe 600 or so shots.

I briefly used a Lexar 32gb card at the end of last year because I picked one up on sale. I would say I experienced problems about 50% of the time. It now sits in a box on my shelf because the store wouldn't accept a return on an opened memory card. I won't even trust it as a backup card (my 8gb SanDisk gets the nod).

It's the card.

EDIT: Also, I'm still on the original 1.00 firmware until Pentax releases some drastic performance update or a killer feature upgrade.
Di you format the card in-camera? If you didn't it is a good idea to do so. As stated, not all bug fixes are documented as some are minor fixes. It is good to upgrade to the latest firmware to fix bugs that were stated and for those that were not stated.

All my cameras were updated to the latest firmwares and I have no issues with the cameras.
04-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Di you format the card in-camera? If you didn't it is a good idea to do so. As stated, not all bug fixes are documented as some are minor fixes. It is good to upgrade to the latest firmware to fix bugs that were stated and for those that were not stated.

All my cameras were updated to the latest firmwares and I have no issues with the cameras.
I used to format the card in camera. Now I just delete all the images. I've read reports in favor and against each method. It doesn't matter to me.

Upgrading is a hassle. No thanks. The camera works fine as is.
04-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #37

Photos: Albums
I used to format the card in camera. Now I just delete all the images. I've read reports in favor and against each method. It doesn't matter to me.

You should always format a new card in camera and fairly frequently thereafter. Deleting the images does not delete everything and there is garbage left on the disk and if you don't format in camera perhaps not every time but regularly. the probability of errors increases significantly.

Is it possible that using 32 Gb cards has an occasional glitch that was one of the unstated fixes in one of the updates?? Updating is so simple and straight forward why wouldn't you want to be running what the manufacturer says is the latest and greatest. Most firmware upgrades are not major enhancements or new features but rather minor glitch fixes that only happen occasionally but why take the chance that a randomn glitch could ruin a critical shot?
04-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

You've had major problems with a Lexar card and yet "the camera works fine as is".

04-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
You've had major problems with a Lexar card and yet "the camera works fine as is".
The 8GB card that came with my camera got me clear past 10,000 clicks with no issues.

The new 16gb EYE-Fi card I have, a much more complicated piece of technology, performs flawlessly in all its functions (approaching 1000 shots).

The 32GB Lexar decided not to save 1/2 of the shots taken with it right from the get go. When researching the problem, I came across other reports of buggy issues with that particular Lexar card model. It's probably the reason why it was on sale in the first place.

I'm going to pin the blame on the Lexar card. It is the simplest explanation.

If I need to use a 32GB card for whatever reason, I'll just buy a card that's proven to work instead of one that's on sale.

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
You should always format a new card in camera and fairly frequently thereafter. Deleting the images does not delete everything and there is garbage left on the disk and if you don't format in camera perhaps not every time but regularly. the probability of errors increases significantly.

Is it possible that using 32 Gb cards has an occasional glitch that was one of the unstated fixes in one of the updates?? Updating is so simple and straight forward why wouldn't you want to be running what the manufacturer says is the latest and greatest. Most firmware upgrades are not major enhancements or new features but rather minor glitch fixes that only happen occasionally but why take the chance that a randomn glitch could ruin a critical shot?
I remember researching the whole "delete all images VS reformat card" when I first started, and I couldn't find a definitive answer at the time, so I just picked one and stuck with it. I have yet to encounter any problems. Maybe I'm just charmed.

As for not upgrading, I am now invoking the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule. I'll deal with problems when they actually happen, not when they "possibly potentially might randomly" happen.
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #40

I've had memory card errors with both formatted and un-formatted.There was a similar discussion here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/204862-card-error-file-cannot-stored.html

I think it is the card, I used a SanDisk 4gb card with no problems. Apparently it is an issue with the physical dimensions of the card, even though they are supposed to be standardized.

Also for the update, is there a detailed list of corrected issues? The website is kind of general,
ie. Corrected Unstable performance may rarely occur in firmware version 1.03... What kind of unstable performance?
I think I'll try the firmware update when I get home, but there is no specific instance where the error occurs, so I'm not sure how I'll test it...
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #41
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthony Offen-james Quote
i've just updated from 1.00 to 1.04 what have I missed.I've not had any screen bugs the only thing I've had is that it has a problem with 32gb cards
If firmware bugs were obvious, Pentax would probably not be making cameras

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #42

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
I remember researching the whole "delete all images VS reformat card" when I first started, and I couldn't find a definitive answer at the time, so I just picked one and stuck with it. I have yet to encounter any problems. Maybe I'm just charmed.

As for not upgrading, I am now invoking the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule. I'll deal with problems when they actually happen, not when they "possibly potentially might randomly" happen.
I was going to explain why I format new cards in camera before using and why sometimes I reformat in camera instead of just erase but a quick search turned up the following link When to erase and format a memory card? which saves me typing and likely explains things better then I would.

BTW, isn't a bug by definition something that happens randomly or as you say "possibly potentially might randomly" happen while if something happens all the time it is an out right error or fault?!

Last edited by bcorson; 04-25-2013 at 12:49 PM.
04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
I was going to explain why I format new cards in camera before using and why sometimes I reformat in camera instead of just erase but a quick search turned up the following link When to erase and format a memory card? which saves me typing and likely explains things better then I would.

BTW, isn't a bug by definition something that happens randomly or as you say "possibly potentially might randomly" happen while if something happens all the time it is an out right error or fault?!
Thanks for the link. Essentially, only deleting the images is fine, but I should be reformatting in camera once in a while. Makes sense. Every 5,000 clicks or so should be good. I'll have to see how that plays out with the Eye-Fi (not sure if it will completely wipe the settings, which would be pain), but for a regular card I can dig that.

Not sure what a bug is. I'll let the wordsmiths figure it out while I'm out taking lots of photos with my firmware version 1.00 K30.
04-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #44
Site Supporter

The 8GB card that came with my camera got me clear past 10,000 clicks with no issues.

The new 16gb EYE-Fi card I have, a much more complicated piece of technology, performs flawlessly in all its functions (approaching 1000 shots).

The 32GB Lexar decided not to save 1/2 of the shots taken with it right from the get go. When researching the problem, I came across other reports of buggy issues with that particular Lexar card model. It's probably the reason why it was on sale in the first place.

I'm going to pin the blame on the Lexar card. It is the simplest explanation.

If I need to use a 32GB card for whatever reason, I'll just buy a card that's proven to work instead of one that's on sale.

How many 32 GB cards have you used without any issues in the camera?
04-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
How many 32 GB cards have you used without any issues in the camera?
Um, none? Because I've only tried the 32GB Lexar, and when it didn't work I tossed it into the memory hole on my shelf.

And I haven't needed another 32GB card, so I haven't tried others.

Heck, this 16GB Eye-Fi card is overkill for me, I only got it because I wanted the Eye-Fi capabilities, and it was only $20 more than the 8GB Eye-Fi card.

IF I ever feel the need to use 32GB Lexar cards for whatever reason, and IF there's a firmware update that's proven to make that card work, then I might think about perhaps possibly upgrading the firmwares. Maybe. Or I may just buy a different 32GB from a better card maker, whichever is easiest at the time this issue might possibly arise. It's probably going to be the latter.

Anyways, I think I should stop because I'm becoming a prickly fanboy.

Needless to say, for any new K30 owners following along on this thread wondering if they should upgrade the firmware or not, know that there are people like me still on the original version 1.0 firmware who are happily shooting away with perfectly functioning K30's who don't miss the .0005 second boost in live view autofocus speed that firmware 1.143 promised to deliver. You will not be alone.

Seacrest out.