Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Um, none? Because I've only tried the 32GB Lexar, and when it didn't work I tossed it into the memory hole on my shelf.

And I haven't needed another 32GB card, so I haven't tried others.

Heck, this 16GB Eye-Fi card is overkill for me, I only got it because I wanted the Eye-Fi capabilities, and it was only $20 more than the 8GB Eye-Fi card.

IF I ever feel the need to use 32GB Lexar cards for whatever reason, and IF there's a firmware update that's proven to make that card work, then I might think about perhaps possibly upgrading the firmwares. Maybe. Or I may just buy a different 32GB from a better card maker, whichever is easiest at the time this issue might possibly arise. It's probably going to be the latter.

Anyways, I think I should stop because I'm becoming a prickly fanboy.

Needless to say, for any new K30 owners following along on this thread wondering if they should upgrade the firmware or not, know that there are people like me still on the original version 1.0 firmware who are happily shooting away with perfectly functioning K30's who don't miss the .0005 second boost in live view autofocus speed that firmware 1.143 promised to deliver. You will not be alone.

Seacrest out.
Sure seems like you figured out it was a bad card and not some wonky behavior of the K-30 (w/ firmware 1.00) when using 32 GB cards in general. Sometimes these "stability improvements" with firmware updates really are stability improvements.

04-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #47

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the link. Essentially, only deleting the images is fine, but I should be reformatting in camera once in a while. Makes sense. Every 5,000 clicks or so should be good. I'll have to see how that plays out with the Eye-Fi (not sure if it will completely wipe the settings, which would be pain), but for a regular card I can dig that.

Not sure what a bug is. I'll let the wordsmiths figure it out while I'm out taking lots of photos with my firmware version 1.00 K30.
As far as the EYE-Fi . . .that would be a pain. Perhaps you could copy the settings to a file and save on your computer and then copy it to the EYE-Fi after formatting but still makes the formatting a pain for sure.

As far as frequency of formatting can't say how often I do it every 2-3 months I guess and anytime I have nearly or completely filled the card as the few issues I have had have been after using a card that has been pretty well chucked full and then the images just deleted.

Happy shooting. Lots of great shooting in the Vancouver area for sure!

Bob

PS Twas rainy and cool here yesterday or I would have been out shooting myself. Looks like rain has stopped and going to be a better day today.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.png
04-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Um, none? Because I've only tried the 32GB Lexar, and when it didn't work I tossed it into the memory hole on my shelf.

And I haven't needed another 32GB card, so I haven't tried others.

Heck, this 16GB Eye-Fi card is overkill for me, I only got it because I wanted the Eye-Fi capabilities, and it was only $20 more than the 8GB Eye-Fi card.

IF I ever feel the need to use 32GB Lexar cards for whatever reason, and IF there's a firmware update that's proven to make that card work, then I might think about perhaps possibly upgrading the firmwares. Maybe. Or I may just buy a different 32GB from a better card maker, whichever is easiest at the time this issue might possibly arise. It's probably going to be the latter.

Anyways, I think I should stop because I'm becoming a prickly fanboy.

Needless to say, for any new K30 owners following along on this thread wondering if they should upgrade the firmware or not, know that there are people like me still on the original version 1.0 firmware who are happily shooting away with perfectly functioning K30's who don't miss the .0005 second boost in live view autofocus speed that firmware 1.143 promised to deliver. You will not be alone.

Seacrest out.
I'm sure the AF-C Expanded Area AF works better with firmware 1.04 than it did with 1.00. Actually, I'm not sure really as I would have to go back to 1.00 to be really sure and I won't be trying that as I don't need to, same as 1.00 users don't need to go to 1.04.
04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I updated from 1.00 to 1.04, re-formatted the card, took a few experimental shots, and still got the same 'Memory Card Error'.
I can usually get one to happen by taking HDR shots, and switching to playback mode quickly. When I did the same thing with a SanDisk card, there was no problems. I think I'm going to use an alternate card.

04-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've reverted to v1.01 (I never tried v1.02).

I have reason to believe, the AF on both my K-30's is less reliable under v1.03 and v1.04. The best way to describe the behavior is that the fail ratio has been rather large than what I otherwise what used to.
04-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I've reverted to v1.01 (I never tried v1.02).

I have reason to believe, the AF on both my K-30's is less reliable under v1.03 and v1.04. The best way to describe the behavior is that the fail ratio has been rather large than what I otherwise what used to.
I have seen no issue with AF in 1.04. In fact I just did a focus test on each of my AF lenses last Friday and they were all smack on.. How does this manifest . . .fail to lock on, locks on but is out of focus? Does it happen with all lenses and how often? Have you done focus microadjustments for each lens? Seems strange no one else has reported this issue as missing focus should be a big concern. It would be interesting to know how much it is off by. Have you tried manual focusing then switching to auto and seeing how much the position of the barrel moves from manual to auto focus?

Just curious.

Bob
04-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #52
Veteran Member

The AF accuracy fluctuates more using v1.04 than v1.01. Even when the focus is close to where I need it to be, v1.01 beats it by being closer.

Then there's a thing with the AF being *way* off. It happens. No biggie, just re-focus and nail the shot on the second exposure. That's how it typically was, but with v1.04 (and v1.03) it's way off more frequently. Re-focusing won't necessarily help for the next several shots.

So, generally speaking, pics are less in focus (not all but many) - this is most noticeable when using shorter focals - and focus out of the blue gets thrown off at a greate rate.

I've tried different lenses though not used same amount of time with them all. The behavior seems to be present with all of them.

04-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #53

I think I'll go back to 1.01 too. It was the most stable version for my K-30.

Last edited by Doctor X; 04-29-2013 at 04:03 AM.
04-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I have used Sandisk Extreme in my K30 with firmware v1.04 and do not have any problem at all..
04-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no problems with v1.04 in a Sandisk Ultra or extreme card. AF is spot on too.
04-29-2013, 04:53 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
The AF accuracy fluctuates more using v1.04 than v1.01. Even when the focus is close to where I need it to be, v1.01 beats it by being closer.

Then there's a thing with the AF being *way* off. It happens. No biggie, just re-focus and nail the shot on the second exposure. That's how it typically was, but with v1.04 (and v1.03) it's way off more frequently. Re-focusing won't necessarily help for the next several shots.

So, generally speaking, pics are less in focus (not all but many) - this is most noticeable when using shorter focals - and focus out of the blue gets thrown off at a greate rate.

I've tried different lenses though not used same amount of time with them all. The behavior seems to be present with all of them.
That is weird and certainly not good. I would find that extremely annoying. I should also have asked if the whole image is out of focus or if what you thought you focused on is out of focus but somewhere in the image it is properly focused. Have you tried using spot focus as opposed to the other choices to see if it is better? Using spot focus lets you be absolutely certain where the point is that you have focused on. Does this happen when you use all the focusing methods? What do you mean focus out of the blue?

Got to be more then just firmware going on or more folks would have the issue. Might be worth trying different focus modes and combinations to see if some settings work better then others. For example does it happen in Live view as well?

Does spot work any better for example. I will try some combos later today or tomorrow and see what happens. ANy chance yo could send me a large file showing an example?

Bob

Last edited by bcorson; 04-29-2013 at 05:22 AM.
04-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I was wrong - it's not firmware related (unless v1.01 is to blame :P). I thought I was using v1.03 at a particular event I shot at some months ago, but I just checked the event date and release date of 1.03 - v1.03 was released almost a full month later.

I previously created this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/219670-...cus-motor.html

I will continue in there.
05-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #58
Pentaxian

I bought 2 32GB from Sony UHS Class 10 SDHC, I hoped that updating my firmware to 1.04 would fix the "Memory Card Error" that keeps on flashing whenever I try to use these cards, still no luck after I updated. Any suggestions?

Thanks
05-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you format the cards in the camera before you used them?
05-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #60

My new K5 II won't do the update to 1.04 in the first place

Shiny new camera arrived yesterday replacing one of my *ist's
Checked the existing Firmware and it says 1.00
Downloaded 1.04 and followed the instructions
When I press Menu & Switch on, I get the 5 sec Existing Version message then it reverts to normal
Tried several times.
Held Menu button down while the 5 sec msg displayed and kept holding it - NO change
Formatted card in camera and re-tried - NO change
Formatted card again, connected camera via cable and copied file from PC via the cable. - NO change

Suggestions anyone?