Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

Firmare update for K30 - v1.04

get at pentax site

Pentax K-30 Firmware v1.04 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

04-04-2013, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #2

I have just installed the 1.04 firmware update.
The most immediate thing that I have noticed is that it seems to have fixed the problem of the screen switching off after a few seconds, irrespective of the timout settings in the menu.
See my post "Strange Behaviour" for an explanation of the problem.
On a more general level, I have spent the majority of my life working in the software industry and I think that continual release of firmware updates, to fix problems in previous releases is completely unacceptable.
We had versions 1.01 and 1.02 which actually enhanced the performance of the camera and since then we have had updates which are actually bug fixes to previous versions.
Do they never test the software before it is released?
The "Strange Behaviour" issue caused me many hours of worry and frustration, yet it is so apparent that even in the most cursory examination of 2 cameras (pre and post update) the problem would be noticed in a few seconds (when the screen went blank).
There are further implications of these bug-fix releases:-
1 Firmware updates are inherently risky. Out of all of the K30 users there is a probability that some people may have an un-successful update, thereby turning the camera into a brick.
2 We all want third party apps for pc's tablets and phones which would allow tethering and remote control (like those availabe for Nikon and Canon). However any developer would surely stay clear of a platform who's firmware was changing on an almost monthly basis.

Overall I am happy with the camera but I think that Pentax should look to improving quality control in their software department.
Perhaps the next release should give us a "goodie" (e.g. longer max shutter speed) to placate the masses.
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Well perhaps I was fortunate but I did not see the problems you saw or for that matter any of the "issues" that Pentax said they were fixing in various releases. Who knows under what conditions, combinations and permutations these things were happening from camera to camera. I see no difference in the way that 1.04 functions and the way any other from since 1.01 has functioned. Must be the combinations that that had selected of various options. My point for saying that is that trying to test under every possible combination of menu setting lens etc etc becomes a massive task and I will bet that they have a standard test protocol they run to cover what they think will be the most appropriate combo of settings and then release the firmware for general release. Then they react to issues reported. Like it or not that seems to be more and more the way of the software/firmware world: test it for basic and critical functionality and let the users find the rest of the more subtle issues.

As far as high risk resulting in "turning the camera into a brick" seems unlikely and I haven't seen anyone on this or other forums suggesting that has happened to them. Also, highly unlikely that the changes they have made to date would be impacting the protocols that would allow remote interfacing . . . if they have then the changes are much more significant then they have let on. A bigger issue for getting these apps is that the apps folks expect an ROI and the number of Pentax users who would pay for this may not justify the effort . . . just like we see in other third party accessories . . . or lack there of.

Do the masses need placating? Perhaps I missed that ground swell. I am curious that you would see a longer shutter time as a goodie given we have 30 seconds and bulb.
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The problem with firmware bugs for the manufacturers is that if they wait until every bug has been ironed out then the camera will be late to market and lose sales to competitors that don't wait.

I'm sure I noticed the screen timeout 'strange behaviour' by the way with the K-30 before any updates.

04-04-2013, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another marginal update?

I'm still hanging with the original 1.0 firmware, and the camera still performs like a rock star.

I'll wait until the firmware update that lets my camera turn into a gun.
04-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I'm still hanging with the original 1.0 firmware, and the camera still performs like a rock star
I was beginning to think I was the only one left using 1.00 firmware
04-04-2013, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #7

I have not updated either, still using original 1.0.
Still running original software and my motto, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

04-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Exacta!
04-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #9

I've tried them all, but I'm back to 1.01, after serious crashes with 1.02 and 1.03. I'll give 1.04 a chance though. For a couple of days.
04-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doctor X Quote
but I'm back to 1.01,
how?, I'd like to know how you managed to get the old software
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
I have 1.01-1,04 . . .what would you like? You will have to give me a place to send it as I tried uploading 1.01 and doesn't seem to like it . . . too big a file I guess
04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

1.01 was on the Pentax site originally back in October or November 2012. The original camera firmware was 1.00 and that hasn't been available as a download.
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #13

I kept each firmware on my computer, knowing that I might use them sometime. If you need a version PM me. Cheers!
04-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

misunderstanding, is it possible to come back from 1:03 if you do not like back in 1.01, that's what I thought

Last edited by mbukal; 04-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.
04-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #15

Original Poster
I've used v1.04 for four days, from Thursday up to today. Haven't experienced the frozen shutter issue, at least so far :-).

Maybe it's actually fixed.