Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #1

K-30 and the Ricoh pin

Hi everyone,

I bought two lenses that have the ricoh pin, and have read everything i found on the pin problem on the web.
When the first lens arrived (it says KR on its body), i tried to match the ricoh pin (that does exist on it) with a depression on the K-30 body near its location (that is supposed to house an AF contact), but nothing is there... just the bare metal of the mount. I can not see where this pin can get stuck in.

What am i missing? Can anyone post a picture of the place on the K-30 where the pin can get stuck in?
I just don't want to mess with the lens if it is not mandatory to do it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Chaim; 04-04-2013 at 04:18 AM.
04-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you please post us an image of the base of the lens and the lens itself ... thanks, J
04-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for that quick reply.
The lens (actually it is a TC) has the same base as in the pictures shown all over the web while dealing with the ricoh pin - it has 6 contacts, and further away - the ricoh pin.

I just thought of something. Is the problem that the ricoh pin goes into the screwdrive AF mechanism?
I think It passes it while turning the lens (during its mounting).
I did'nt think this is the problem, as the screwdrive is protruding the mount, and not depressed, so i can not see how the pin can get stuck.
04-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Does the pin looks the same as the pin contacts on the Pentax lenses - as in small and rounded?
If yes, it shouldn't be a problem.

However, if the pin is not rounded and is "taller" than the regular pins on the Pentax lenses, this might create problems ...

04-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
It looks exactly as the other pins - small and rounded and in the same height. Is is absolutly safe in this case ?

And as i still have'nt recieved the other lens (so i don't know how the pin looks there) - where does the pin get stuck on the mount ?
Is it really inside the screwdrive mechanism ? as i wrote - it does'nt look like it could.
I don't see any other place it could get stuck on - it's just metal all the way.
04-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaim Quote
What am i missing? Can anyone post a picture of the place on the K-30 where the pin can get stuck in?
I just don't want to mess with the lens if it is not mandatory to do it.
The problem with the Ricoh pin is that it can get stuck in the AF Screw...the vas majority of lenses won't get stuck. The original Ricoh P lenses and a few zooms (mainly Korean 80-200 and 60-300) are the main culprits...

Name:  XsrKK.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  109.0 KB

The Vivitar in the first picture wouldn't mount anyway...it has the extra long flange.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-04-2013 at 06:09 AM.
04-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It looks exactly as the other pins - small and rounded and in the same height. Is is absolutly safe in this case ?

And as i still have'nt recieved the other lens (so i don't know how the pin looks there) - where does the pin get stuck on the mount ?
Is it really inside the screwdrive mechanism ? as i wrote - it does'nt look like it could.
I don't see any other place it could get stuck on - it's just metal all the way.
If is small and rounded than there should be no problem. If it would get stuck, that all Pentax lenses should have their pins stuck every time you mount/ un-mount the lenses.

I have about 6 Ricoh lenses that I am using on my Pentax cameras (K-5, K-01, K10D) and so far I have never had any issues - for years now - all have the small rounded pin.

Stay away from the OTHER pins!
That being said, you can always remove that pin if you are afraid.

Last edited by mrNewt; 04-04-2013 at 06:13 AM.
04-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you both for the pictures and the explanation.

Just out of curiousity - The pin in the picture that says "will get stuck" does'nt look bigger or taller than the "normal" pins (quite the opposite), and also - i can't understand how it gets stuck, as the screwdrive is prodruding from the mount, and it takes a great deal of force to push it *inside* the mount (lower than the mount level). A small pin spring isn't strong enough to do that.
How does it actually get stuck? (and in the middle of the turn)

04-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Because the pin is not rounded and it has sharp corners it could get stuck inside the AF screw WHEN in manual mode.
In manual mode, the AF screw goes inside the body leaving a nice hole to be filled with bad pins .
04-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #10

Original Poster
Now i get it !
This means that if i always mount with the lever on AF.S or C (not MF) - it is safe to mount even the bad lenses with the bad pins . That is really important to know!
You have been really helpful, as i have searched for those answers and could'nt find them anywhere on the web.
04-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Thank you both for the pictures and the explanation.

Just out of curiousity - The pin in the picture that says "will get stuck" does'nt look bigger or taller than the "normal" pins (quite the opposite), and also - i can't understand how it gets stuck, as the screwdrive is prodruding from the mount, and it takes a great deal of force to push it *inside* the mount (lower than the mount level). A small pin spring isn't strong enough to do that.
How does it actually get stuck? (and in the middle of the turn)
The one I have in the first picture wouldn't get stuck anyway, it retracts when the camera is not set to A(P). The main thing is the height/shape of the pin, which is why they are nubs now. When you mount the lens, the base of the lens presses the screw drive into recess. When you begin to rotate the lens, the original straight sided pin could slip between the screw and get stuck. That's my theory...IIRC the original Ricoh pin wasn't spring loaded either.
04-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Now i get it !
This means that if i always mount with the lever on AF.S or C (not MF) - it is safe to mount even the bad lenses with the bad pins . That is really important to know!
You have been really helpful, as i have searched for those answers and could'nt find them anywhere on the web.
I wouldn't risk it even in that case with the bad pin because ... let's face it ... we are human and prone to errors. We could accidentally switched to M without realizing. Plus, depending on the size of the pin, there is always the chance that the pin could slip between the screw and the mount.

Additionally ... the AF screw is not nice and smooth - by itself it has another protruding part - a bad pin could get stuck to that as well.

The only best bet in these cases is to open the lens and remove the pin.

Now again ... if the pin is small and rounded you should be safe and don't worry in what mode you are. It should never get stuck - I say this from my own experience.

Last edited by mrNewt; 04-04-2013 at 06:56 AM.
04-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks again to all who answered. You are great, and i am proud to be a part of the Pentax family with such members.
04-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The operation to remove the pin is easy as well, as long as you're careful about it.
04-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I use a Ricoh Rekinon P 50mm F1.7 on my K20D, K7 and now my K5 and have not faced this problem.