Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

DNG/RAW Default Sharpening in the K30

I have a question on default sharpening applied in camera to K30 RAW/DNG files.

If I shoot DNG/RAW is is sharpening "baked-in" to these K30 DNG files?

Thanks.

04-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nope, RAW is without sharpening.
The RAW converter on the computer does normally apply a default value.
04-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have an earlier version of Lightroom that does not have the camera profile, and is not showing a sharpening value applied to imported K30 images (as it does when it imports from a camera it recognizes).....but, they do appear sharp as soon as they are imported which is why I ask if the camera is doing something similar to the baked in NR applied even to DNG / RAW K30 photos.
04-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by godwinaustin Quote
I have an earlier version of Lightroom that does not have the camera profile, and is not showing a sharpening value applied to imported K30 images (as it does when it imports from a camera it recognizes).....but, they do appear sharp as soon as they are imported.
Well, that's semi-accurate. LR has a default +25 sharpening applied to all imported images, regardless if the camera is in its internal database. Furthermore, you can customize the default settings for future mports. Older versions of LR only showed accurate rendering of sharpening only at the 1:1 view. LR does not render in-camera settings on raw images. you may be viewing the embedded jpeg preview.

M

04-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm Ive always wondered, though, is +25 sharpening in lightroom actually "added" sharpening? Because it also has a default brightness of +50 (about +1EV), but I doubt the photo's "raw" exposure was 0 brightness, I don't think Lightroom actually adds that much brightness, if it does, all my photos are horribly underexposed to begin with
04-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm Ive always wondered, though, is +25 sharpening in lightroom actually "added" sharpening? Because it also has a default brightness of +50 (about +1EV), but I doubt the photo's "raw" exposure was 0 brightness, I don't think Lightroom actually adds that much brightness, if it does, all my photos are horribly underexposed to begin with
You must be commenting on an older version of LR. There is no Brightness in LR v4..x. The scale for Exposure is centered at 0 with traditional +/- increments. For version 4, Adobe tried to normalize the scaling indicators in Develop.

Yes +25 is noticeable sharpening, but as capture sharpening the intention is a gentle starting point. When one can set customized import values, the default settings are pretty irrelevant unless hitting the Auto button satisfies one's post-processing ambitions.

M
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
You must be commenting on an older version of LR. There is no Brightness in LR v4..x. The scale for Exposure is centered at 0 with traditional +/- increments. For version 4, Adobe tried to normalize the scaling indicators in Develop.
You are right, I don't have v4 yet.