Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

Program versus aperture/shutter priority

Getting to grips with my new K30 and absolutely loving it.

As I move a bit off-piste from the auto setting I have a question.

I notice that in Program setting I can control both aperture and shutter speed via the front and rear wheels.

In Aperture Priority Setting and Shutter Priority Setting, I only seem to be able to change the single named feature in each case.

So why would I ever use these settings rather than Program? Is there some other advantage of using Av or Tv?

I suspect I must be missing a trick otherwise they wouldn't be there.

I'm dumb, but hey, I'm keen

04-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

With P the controls are more complex if you want to change anything else then Av or Tv.

So in Av mode you have the back wheel for aperture and you can set the front wheel for a different value, this can not be done in P because in P the front wheel is shutter speed.
So you have more controls more directly at hand with Av and Tv.
04-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doublegone Dod Quote
Getting to grips with my new K30 and absolutely loving it.

As I move a bit off-piste from the auto setting I have a question.

I notice that in Program setting I can control both aperture and shutter speed via the front and rear wheels.

In Aperture Priority Setting and Shutter Priority Setting, I only seem to be able to change the single named feature in each case.

So why would I ever use these settings rather than Program? Is there some other advantage of using Av or Tv?

I suspect I must be missing a trick otherwise they wouldn't be there.

I'm dumb, but hey, I'm keen
i only use TAV...i tend to shoot pictures where i want to control the shutter speed and aperture so my iso stays where i want it...when you shoot sports you want a fast shutter speed...also if you're doing shorts and need alot of DOF you want a higher aperture.. when you're doing pictures where you want bokeh you want low aperture and low iso...i could go on and on....i think once you use it and see the value you would never use the program settings but that's just me...female and want to control what i output
04-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

And just to make the difference between P and TAv clear; in P mode you can change shutter speed with one wheel OR aperture with the other, but not both at the same time. When you turn one wheel, the other setting will go back to auto. In TAv mode you control both simultaneously.

Try it out

04-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #5

I mainly use Av, that gives me control of DOF. Tv gives me control of time or movement, I can freeze a moment or make f.ex. water flow. M-mode is my big thing with my manual lenses. I NEVER use green or P-mode and Sv I don't understand. lastly TAv-mode, this is new to me, but I kind of like it.
04-08-2013, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
P mode (aka programmed autoexposure) is your old-school "easy automatic" and basically sets sensible parameters for the lighting conditions and lens mounted. The parameters chosen by the camera can be modified by changing the program line used. You need to do a bit of menu diving to do this. I haven't got a K-30, but on the K-5, program line is found on tab 3. Besides "auto" and "normal", the options are rather cryptic symbols. The symbols are:
  • Prioritize high shutter speed
  • Prioritize deep DOF
  • Prioritize shallow DOF
  • (this is a nice one) Prioritize MTF for the mounted lens
Classically, P mode would give you your starting values and then you'd shift the programmed exposure. The amount that shutter speed and aperture changes when you shift is then determined by the currently selected program line.

However, on Pentax cameras, the default setup is that turning either dial takes you out of programmed autoexposure and into either Av or Tv, depending on the dial chosen. You can see this on rear screen - the mode indicator will change from "P" to either "Av Hyper" or "Tv Hyper". Green button then takes you back to P. You can reprogram the dials (you'll have to look in your manual since I don't know the degree to which this is possible on the K-30) so that turning one dial will do classic program shifting, while the other dial does exposure compensation.

It would be nice if you could change the program line either with a dial or via the quick menu brought up with the "Info" button, but this doesn't seem to be possible.

Av and Tv are modes in which you take manual control of just one of the exposure parameters. For example, you'll use Tv when you want to take a two second shot of a waterfall or a 1/1000 second shot of your kid jumping off a climbing frame. You'll use Av when you want some totally bodacious bokeh and open up the aperture to F1.4 or when you're doing macro and need to close the aperture down to F16 (actually, you might use M + flash to do macro, but that's another topic entirely).

@Pontax. Sv is programmed auto-exposure with manual ISO control. Shutter speed / aperture values chosen by the camera will be determined according to the current program line.

FYI, "green" mode is just P mode with the program line set to auto and the control dials (and lots of other things) disabled. TAv is M but with auto ISO.

Last edited by top-quark; 04-08-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Didn't actually answer Dod's question!
04-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #7

Thanks to top-quark and pearsaab for introducing TAv for me. I have mounted an AF lens on my K5 and fiddled around with the presetting of the green-bottom in TAv-mode. TAv is great, it does not matter if iso changes from 160, 200, 250 etc. (Auto-ISO parameter to slow). I have set it to Tv-shift, since aperture is a big thing for me.