Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
To tell the truth it has been a long time since I checked, the k-x is now my wife's camera. She rarely has to change during a days shoot, just swaps out at the end of the day and charges. If just around the house, I don't know, weeks sometimes. Certainly 500+ shots, though she doesn't use flash.

+1 on the Maha charger, I have the 8 cell one and use Eneloops for just about everything now. I started out with 5 sets of AA rechargeables to test different brands. My original set of Eneloops is still in use, the other four sets, all different brands, have been in the trash for years.
I was getting, on average, around 700 shots with instant review set to 1 sec (as I recall) on the K-r. I got a few more with the K-x but not that many more. When I was using the K-r as my main camera I had two adapters and 1 regular Pentax battery. I never went through all 3 even at Disney with 3-4 8gb cards filled up some days.

04-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
To tell the truth it has been a long time since I checked, the k-x is now my wife's camera. She rarely has to change during a days shoot, just swaps out at the end of the day and charges. If just around the house, I don't know, weeks sometimes. Certainly 500+ shots, though she doesn't use flash.

+1 on the Maha charger, I have the 8 cell one and use Eneloops for just about everything now. I started out with 5 sets of AA rechargeables to test different brands. My original set of Eneloops is still in use, the other four sets, all different brands, have been in the trash for years.
OK I am sold Enerlopes it is. Will see what I can find where.
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
Will see what I can find where.
Costco has them at a good price, if you have Costco there. I was surprised to see them there as they are not common in retail stores. Other than that Amazon is your friend.
04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I was getting, on average, around 700 shots with instant review set to 1 sec (as I recall) on the K-r. I got a few more with the K-x but not that many more. When I was using the K-r as my main camera I had two adapters and 1 regular Pentax battery. I never went through all 3 even at Disney with 3-4 8gb cards filled up some days.
Thats even better then I am doing with the LI battery that comes with the K 30. I have preview set to 1 sec but I must admit that I do some scanning of the pics on the LCD though. BY comparison I just did a bit of shooting using the Duracell 2650 aH set (mind you they are several years old but were lasting weeks in the Metz flash) and after 25 shots the camera shows just a redoutline on the battery symbol. Clearly these are useless for the camera at least.

Thanks

04-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #20

Original Poster
Costco has them at a good price, if you have Costco there. I was surprised to see them there as they are not common in retail stores. Other than that Amazon is your friend.
Oh good I will check Costco online and at the local store and also see if Amazon.ca has them . . . thanks
04-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
after 25 shots the camera shows just a redoutline on the battery symbol. Clearly these are useless for the camera at least.
It should be noted that other brands are not necessarily 'bad' just that in the Pentax camera the current draw is higher than they can sustain. I read an article about it way back, something to do with battery chemistry and maintaining the voltage at a given draw level. A set that fails miserably in the camera might be just fine in a flash or something else.

Also, the Eneloops come in colors, so if you are careful you can get sets in different colors. I think they come in pairs, so I had to get two sets to make up sets of 4. That way it is easy to keep the sets together. I read someplace, maybe in the Eneloop packaging, that they should be used in sets and not swapped around. No idea if that matters, but the colors are cool. Sort of Pentaxian
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #22

Original Poster
It should be noted that other brands are not necessarily 'bad' just that in the Pentax camera the current draw is higher than they can sustain. I read an article about it way back, something to do with battery chemistry and maintaining the voltage at a given draw level. A set that fails miserably in the camera might be just fine in a flash or something else.

Also, the Eneloops come in colors, so if you are careful you can get sets in different colors. I think they come in pairs, so I had to get two sets to make up sets of 4. That way it is easy to keep the sets together. I read someplace, maybe in the Eneloop packaging, that they should be used in sets and not swapped around. No idea if that matters, but the colors are cool. Sort of Pentaxian
I have found some at a camera shop near here: $20 for a set of four Aa and $29 for the eneloops charger. Will go look at them tomorrow and see what the charger is . . .i.e. is it their Smart charger. Didn't see color choices but will see what they have in the local store.
04-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #23

I haven't tried Eneloops in my K-30 yet. But in my old K2000 (i.e., K-m) they were useless, sometimes not even holding enough power to keep the clock going.

I've found that lithium disposable batteries last so much longer than anything else that they're worth the money.

04-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My local Costco had a set of 8 AA, 2 AAA batteries, basic 4 battery Sanyo charger and as a bonus: 2 C battery and 2 D battery adaptors (so you can use AA battery as C or D) for $24. When I got them a couple weeks ago there was an instant rebate for $4 off, brining the total to $20.
04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
My local Costco had a set of 8 AA, 2 AAA batteries, basic 4 battery Sanyo charger and as a bonus: 2 C battery and 2 D battery adaptors (so you can use AA battery as C or D) for $24. When I got them a couple weeks ago there was an instant rebate for $4 off, brining the total to $20.
That's an outstanding price for outstanding batteries!
04-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
That same kit at a local camera store is 49.99 and on Amazon.ca nearly as much. Not listed on costco.ca but I will check the local store tomorrow.
04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have $13 in adorama rewards from buying my K-30 burning a hole in my pocket. I was thinking about getting a backup battery but also am thinking about getting an AA adapter instead, especially since I already have 8 eneloops from my old K-X. Is the adapter better than the standard battery pack?
04-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm getting somewhere between 1000-1200 using Sanyo XX and depending on how I use the camera.
04-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I have $13 in adorama rewards from buying my K-30 burning a hole in my pocket. I was thinking about getting a backup battery but also am thinking about getting an AA adapter instead, especially since I already have 8 eneloops from my old K-X. Is the adapter better than the standard battery pack?
Unfortunately I can't answer that as I don't have Eneloops yet. But I like the idea of the adapter and using rechargeable NON-Custom batteries that will likely last longer and certainly be usable in other things. Besides, looks like I can get 8 Eneloops for the price of one Pentax battery . . . in fact less.
04-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Yes, but it is heavier. I did not find that an issue but some complain about a few extra grams.