Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
battery life with BH109 AA holder

I am using this unit with 2150 mAh 1.2 V NiMH AA batteries from Lenmar but I am getting very poor usage time . . .way less then with the Li battery that comes with the K 30. What I am wondering is what other folks are getting when using AAs and what batteries they are using. I am trying to figure out if it is bad batteries or possibly bad charger as it seems to shut off indicating fully charged fairly quickly, or just typical . . . although I doubt that as I would have to stay they are almost unusable. These batteries are supposed to be the type that have an extremely low self discharge rate (85% charged after 1 year of sitting) yet the seem to decline while just sitting in the camera. I have two sets of these Lenmars and one set of Duracell . . . the Durcell are currently in my Metz 52 AF 1 and have been giving great performance so I think I will try them in the K 30 next. In the meantime I am curious about what you folks get and what batteries you are using.

Thanks,

Bob

04-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-30 uses the same adapter as the K-r. When I had my K-r I found that among the rechargeables I got the best endurance from my Eneloops. The Li batteries are significantly longer-lasting but cost a lot and are disposible so I kept on set for emergencies but the rest of my gear used Eneloops. I've found many other brands are pretty poor right out of the package, performing well below the mAh rating on the side of the battery.
04-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The K-30 uses the same adapter as the K-r. When I had my K-r I found that among the rechargeables I got the best endurance from my Eneloops. The Li batteries are significantly longer-lasting but cost a lot and are disposible so I kept on set for emergencies but the rest of my gear used Eneloops. I've found many other brands are pretty poor right out of the package, performing well below the mAh rating on the side of the battery.
These were supposedly as good as the Eneloops but certainly not showing it. I am concerned that it could be my charger however as it seems to indicate that charge is complete fairly quickly (like a couple hours) but if I disconnect and reconnect it will charge for maybe anther 15 minutes. Also I noticed tht eneloops now has a Pro version with even higher capacity but I am having trouble locating any here in Canada.

Thanks for the reply!

Bob
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had average luck with Energizer NiMHs, once I threw out the rapid charger that comes with them - it overheats them badly, IMHO. I've generally used Maha/PowerEx or Sanyo Eneloops in my K-r/K-30. Eneloops are probably the best. I bought a set of Duracell NiMHs on the road once, and never could get the camera to power on with them - they work okay in my flash.

Last edited by THoog; 04-08-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: grammar!
04-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I've had average luck with Energizer NiMHs, once threw out the rapid charger that comes with them - it overheats them badly, IMHO. I've generally used Maha/PowerEx or Sanyo Eneloops in my K-r/K-30. Eneloops are probably the best. I bought a set of Duracell NiMHs on the road once, and never could get the camera to power on with them - they work okay in my flash.
Thanks I will look for some Maha in addition to the Eneloops. What are you using for a charger . . . mine seems to overheats the batteries sometimes as well.

Thanks
04-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
These were supposedly as good as the Eneloops
Supposedly being the operative word. I have seen the same statement numerous times over the last 3 or so years. And bottom line, buy a set of Eneloops and your problems go away.

Not to say a good charger is not a good idea as well. But my Eneloops usually charge in less than 2 hours.
04-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Supposedly being the operative word. I have seen the same statement numerous times over the last 3 or so years. And bottom line, buy a set of Eneloops and your problems go away.

Not to say a good charger is not a good idea as well. But my Eneloops usually charge in less than 2 hours.
Thanks and what kind of life do you get out of them?

04-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks I will look for some Maha in addition to the Eneloops. What are you using for a charger . . . mine seems to overheats the batteries sometimes as well.

Thanks
I use a Maha Powerex 8-slot charger at home (a MH-C800S, or whatever model it replaced), and a 4-slot "worldwide" charger in my travel bag (MH-C204W). I've seen the conditioning mode on the C800 bring "dead" batteries back to life.
04-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I got 1000 shots on old style 2000mAh Eneloops in my K-30. I posted a few months back with lots of details. I would stick with these rather than the new ones as they're proven. NiMh batteries are not equal even with similar specs, Eneloops have a slightly higher voltage than just about all others when they've been used a bit and settled at their plateau voltage; this makes a huge difference in Pentax cameras and they will simply last longer before the camera shuts down. They also have a lower internal resistance and maintain their voltage under load better than others. A good smart charger that charges single cells is best and 2-4 hours charge time from flat is a good place to be, although a 16 hour trickle charger will work fine if you have the patience but they have to be matched to the battery capacity ideally.

Another 15 minutes charge after a reconnect isn't unusual. Best not to do that too often. Battery contacts have to be really clean when using AAs as there are 10 contacts in series all contributing additive voltage losses.
04-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a Maha Powerex 8-slot charger at home (a MH-C800S, or whatever model it replaced), and a 4-slot "worldwide" charger in my travel bag (MH-C204W). I've seen the conditioning mode on the C800 bring "dead" batteries back to life.
I have the same 8-slot charger and it works very well. Honestly, the stock charger that came with the Eneloops works nearly as well when I do diagnostics on the batteries and is FAR simpler and more convenient to use. I'd suggest getting a set of AA Eneloops with their charger and giving that a try. I have rehabed some other rechargeables with the Maha but they eventually all poop out and have gradually all but a very few been thrown away.
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks
04-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I got 1000 shots on old style 2000mAh Eneloops in my K-30. I posted a few months back with lots of details. I would stick with these rather than the new ones as they're proven. NiMh batteries are not equal even with similar specs, Eneloops have a slightly higher voltage than just about all others when they've been used a bit and settled at their plateau voltage; this makes a huge difference in Pentax cameras and they will simply last longer before the camera shuts down. They also have a lower internal resistance and maintain their voltage under load better than others. A good smart charger that charges single cells is best and 2-4 hours charge time from flat is a good place to be, although a 16 hour trickle charger will work fine if you have the patience but they have to be matched to the battery capacity ideally.

Another 15 minutes charge after a reconnect isn't unusual. Best not to do that too often. Battery contacts have to be really clean when using AAs as there are 10 contacts in series all contributing additive voltage losses.
Wow 1000 shots now that is impressive. Thanks fo the info.
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Yeah, just do a search for the word "eneloop" across all the forums ... you are going to find that recommendation again and again and again and....

I personally have 2 of the Chinese knockoff adapters for my K-r (actually 3, but I converted the 3rd one into an AC adapter). One is in my camera with eneloops and the other is pre-loaded with charged eneloops. Swap time is no longer than it takes with the LiON batteries. I just received the Sanyo NC-MQR06W charger. It is not available directly from North American retailers I ordered mine from an Australian eBay store and it shipped directly from Korea for about US$23.

This is the 'smart' version of Sanyo's own eneloop charger. You can mix and match 1 up to 4 AA and AAA cells and each cell is charged independently. Hidden behind a European style AC plug you will find a folding North American plug, so this unit is immediately usable around most of the world (you might need an adapter in the UK). It fits nicely in my gadget bag with the North American plug in its folded position. I have only used it once so far and it seems to have nicely charged a set of 4 AA eneloops.
04-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have the same 8-slot charger and it works very well. Honestly, the stock charger that came with the Eneloops works nearly as well when I do diagnostics on the batteries and is FAR simpler and more convenient to use. I'd suggest getting a set of AA Eneloops with their charger and giving that a try. I have rehabed some other rechargeables with the Maha but they eventually all poop out and have gradually all but a very few been thrown away.
I am sold on the Enerloops . . . should have got them in the first place but the others were in stock and the Enerloops were not . . . oh well. Live and learn.

Thanks,

Bob
04-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks and what kind of life do you get out of them?
To tell the truth it has been a long time since I checked, the k-x is now my wife's camera. She rarely has to change during a days shoot, just swaps out at the end of the day and charges. If just around the house, I don't know, weeks sometimes. Certainly 500+ shots, though she doesn't use flash.

+1 on the Maha charger, I have the 8 cell one and use Eneloops for just about everything now. I started out with 5 sets of AA rechargeables to test different brands. My original set of Eneloops is still in use, the other four sets, all different brands, have been in the trash for years.