Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-30 movie shutter speeds

Hello everybody,
I have bought my K-30 last week and have enjoyed playing with it. This is my first camera capable of recording movies and I will probably be taking it to some local air displays in the summer. I am aware that filming propeller aircraft can be tricky because if the shutter speed is too high it will appear as if they are turning very slowly. Now my qustion is this. Is it possible to regulate the shutter speed whilst filming or is everything done automatically?

04-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leader400 Quote
Hello everybody,
I have bought my K-30 last week and have enjoyed playing with it. This is my first camera capable of recording movies and I will probably be taking it to some local air displays in the summer. I am aware that filming propeller aircraft can be tricky because if the shutter speed is too high it will appear as if they are turning very slowly. Now my qustion is this. Is it possible to regulate the shutter speed whilst filming or is everything done automatically?
Yes, the K-30 offers manual controls. The only thing you can't change is the ISO AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, the K-30 offers manual controls. The only thing you can't change is the ISO AFAIK.
Thanks Adam. Do know how I can can change the shutter speed? I can see how to change the frames per second, but not the shutter speed at any given fps.
John
04-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's like the K-5 you go into the video part of the menu and put something like "exposure control" (can't remember) to manual instead of auto.

04-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leader400 Quote
Thanks Adam. Do know how I can can change the shutter speed? I can see how to change the frames per second, but not the shutter speed at any given fps.
John
In the movie menu, you can choose between M, Av, and P. You'll want to select M mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was sent this by Na Horuk which might help you:

"Here are some more details:
FPS: Choose the ones between 24 and 30. Use 60fps only if you want to slow down the footage later, for a slow motion effect, for example. If you choose 60fps for regular video, the files will be huge and the video will be a bit "odd" looking. 30fps is for NTSC recording, and 25fps for PAL (this may be important, depending on your region, but since you will probably only view files on a computer, not so much). 24fps is often referred to as "cinema look."
Resolution: There is this idea that "bigger is better" but it really isn't. You can have high resolution if you want to watch it on an HD TV, or if you want to post process the video a lot. But for computer viewing or emailing, social media sites, a smaller resolution will be just fine and take much less space.
Shutter speed: Generally you want to set the shutter speed to approximately 1/(2*frame rate). For example, 24fps should use 1/50 shutter. A faster shutter will make things look twitchy. A slower shutter speed will cause motion blur.
ISO: Keep it low, but bring it up higher in dark places.
Aperture: Same as when taking stills, a smaller f number means more light is captured (which is great for dark places) but also a shallower DoF.
Quality: lower quality means more detail is lost, but the file size will also be smaller. You probably want the quality set to high.

There is also a problem with CMOS DSLR camera video called the "rolling shutter" or "jello effect" - you can't do much about that, other than taking care what subjects you take video of and how you position yourself. You can try lowering the shutter speed and masking the jello effect in motion blur, but this might not be suitable for all situations.
One more thing is that even a compressed video from a camera will still be quite big. Most of the time you will want to run your video through some video editing software, which will bring down the size with minimal loss of quality. If you do this, you can also shoot in highest resolution and quality, and then just trim it down in the editor according to your needs.
Hope this cleared up some terms. The best is to do some tests and decide what is best for you and what you find to be still acceptable.

Oh, and for computer viewing I use the second smallest resolution with highest quality and at 25fps. The rest is usually automatic. If I want to take video of something "more important" or as a project, I just switch the resolution to highest, and fps according to the scene."