Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
processing and powering down ? help

My K30 sometimes takes forever after I take a shot (only some of the time) - the little hour glass thing sits there forever, I can turn the camera off and it doesn't power down, sometimes I have to take the battery out. anybody have this problem ?
please and thank you for any information and (sorry to bother you - lol had to add that sorry cuz I am Canadian) lol

04-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shouldn't it turn itself off after it's done writing?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A long shutter speed usually takes a while to write. With my DL I have had it take 5 min. to write . That was after a 2 min. shot I haven't had a chance to use the K-30 that long yet tho., so I can't compare the times yet
04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Shouldn't it turn itself off after it's done writing?
I suppose it would, next time I will try not to panic. I usually pop the battery after about a minute.... thanks I did not realize that 2 - 5 minutes was normal ... I never had that with my K-30 .. thanks

04-09-2013, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like the well-known "freeze", most popular in the K-5. It is not a low battery or temperature issue. Only known remedy is removing the battery. You will lose the last shot.
04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
glad to know it is a glitch and not a breaking camera ...... thank you
04-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
glad to know it is a glitch and not a breaking camera ...... thank you
I've had it happen a handful of times over a couple years. It can go months without a hitch, or have it two days in a row.

04-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Long exposures can result in equally long delays during which the camera appears to be frozen. In other words a five minute exposure would see the camera 'frozen' for another five minutes after the shutter has closed. This is not actually a fault but just the camera doing what it is meant to according to the settings. The K-30 has what is called dark frame subtraction, which is set to 'auto' in the default settings.

What it does is that right after the end of the long exposure shot it will shoot a second photo of the same exposure but without opening the shutter. This may sound pointless but what it is doing is taking an image of one type of noise that sensors are prone to specifically in long exposure, the result of so called 'dark current' (no, it has nothing to do with dark matter). This is a type of noise which is repeatable meaning that if you take two photos after each other they will have exactly the same pattern of this type of noise (there will also be the 'normal' random noise which cannot be removed by this system).

Shooting the 'dark frame' allows the camera to subtract this noise from the photo.

When in 'auto' setting the camera will decide whether or not a dark frame subtraction would be beneficial. The decision is based mainly on the exposure time, the ISO and the temperature of the sensor.

If you want to avoid the long delay turn this function off by going to the camera settings menu 3, second item 'Slow shutter speed NR' and set it to off.
04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Long exposures can result in equally long delays during which the camera appears to be frozen. In other words a five minute exposure would see the camera 'frozen' for another five minutes after the shutter has closed. This is not actually a fault but just the camera doing what it is meant to according to the settings. The K-30 has what is called dark frame subtraction, which is set to 'auto' in the default settings.

What it does is that right after the end of the long exposure shot it will shoot a second photo of the same exposure but without opening the shutter. This may sound pointless but what it is doing is taking an image of one type of noise that sensors are prone to specifically in long exposure, the result of so called 'dark current' (no, it has nothing to do with dark matter). This is a type of noise which is repeatable meaning that if you take two photos after each other they will have exactly the same pattern of this type of noise (there will also be the 'normal' random noise which cannot be removed by this system).

Shooting the 'dark frame' allows the camera to subtract this noise from the photo.

When in 'auto' setting the camera will decide whether or not a dark frame subtraction would be beneficial. The decision is based mainly on the exposure time, the ISO and the temperature of the sensor.

If you want to avoid the long delay turn this function off by going to the camera settings menu 3, second item 'Slow shutter speed NR' and set it to off.
Exactelly what I was gonna say.

If it only happens in long exposures, don't worry, as it normal.

Zorza
04-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
I don't shoot with long exposures... ...................... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm