Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, and wide-open too. Is that damaging to the sensor?! My sensors should have been fried already then.
nono, I mean during live view. If you shoot an overly bright photo, you can in fact damage your sensor.But it would have to be very bright, like wide open aperture at the sun. With cameras in live view, this is a problem because you can do this accidentally, like if you are carrying the camera and aim it at the sun unknowingly. Since it is in live view, and the sensor is exposed, it can be damaged. This is why the camera automatically stops lenses down in bright light when in live view.
Taking photos wide open, even at f1.2 is not a problem. You can even take photos of bright light sources, provided you use sensible settings.
But on the other hand, this safety measure might be a bit too harsh. Pentax probably added it to avoid getting blamed for ruined sensors, but its a pretty annoying feature for photographers who want to use their camera to its fullest

04-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
nono, I mean during live view. If you shoot an overly bright photo, you can in fact damage your sensor.But it would have to be very bright, like wide open aperture at the sun. With cameras in live view, this is a problem because you can do this accidentally, like if you are carrying the camera and aim it at the sun unknowingly. Since it is in live view, and the sensor is exposed, it can be damaged. This is why the camera automatically stops lenses down in bright light when in live view.
Taking photos wide open, even at f1.2 is not a problem. You can even take photos of bright light sources, provided you use sensible settings.
But on the other hand, this safety measure might be a bit too harsh. Pentax probably added it to avoid getting blamed for ruined sensors, but its a pretty annoying feature for photographers who want to use their camera to its fullest
Well... I removed the aperture ring of several of my very fast lenses to: (1) be able to shoot in AV mode without having to use the annoying green button (2) to be able to use it on my 5DMKII. And focussing very fast lenses is next to impossible without LV, so...

I'm never to old to learn, I guess.
04-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
At least my FA lenses focus wide opened in LV, and there is no reason it should be different with A lenses. It is a bug with your camera, if there is the same problem (stopped down lens while focusing) with both A 50mmm and FA 50mm.

A.
All K30 and K-01 cameras not only mine have this problem, when automatic lens(A, F, FA, DA) is attached they close the aperture in LV during focusing. If the lens is set manually to exact aperture by aperture ring - it works like K/M lens in LV and the aperture stays opened.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well... I removed the aperture ring of several of my very fast lenses to: (1) be able to shoot in AV mode without having to use the annoying green button (2) to be able to use it on my 5DMKII. And focussing very fast lenses is next to impossible without LV, so...

I'm never to old to learn, I guess.
That's too harsh, you can only remove the aperture lever who hits the mirror of canon FF cameras and works for the auto aperture on pentax cameras - much more easy and reversible.

Last edited by simbon4o; 04-16-2013 at 09:01 AM.
04-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
That's too harsh, you can only remove the aperture lever who hits the mirror of canon FF cameras and works for the auto aperture on pentax cameras - much more easy and reversible.
The leaver, yes. When you take it out it turns out to be a ring with the leaver attached.

04-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All K30 and K-01 cameras not only mine have this problem, when automatic lens(A, F, FA, DA) is attached they close the aperture in LV during focusing. If the lens is set manually to exact aperture by aperture ring - it works like K/M lens in LV and the aperture stays opened.
Dang, you are right... another reason to keep lenses with aperture ring.

A.
04-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Its also a curse of keeping K-mount compatibility, the lever is there to interface with the camera aperture mechanism like it or not.
We can say its a stupid implementation, but I think Pentax is just covering themselves from liability.
I think the stopping down also prevents the screen from being whited out.
We can also say that we will be gracious and not pursue free camera repair in the event that the sensor is damaged, but there are tons of ppl out there who are not so gracious.
Ppl do that all the time, their Iphones/GalaxyS gets dunked in the toilet bowl or pool or whatever, they dry it up and send it in for servicing claiming warranty for a defective product.
Personally, I just make do with the green button metering. (but I must say that its more clunky to use it that way)

As for chopping the aperture lever for a 5D, it depends on lens.
Some levers can be easily removed by unscrewing.
For others, the lever is attached to the aperture ring mechanism.
These are the ones that need to be snipped off.
One more elegant way is to find a junk/fungus/'for parts' lens that has the same mechanism, snip off the lever from that and use it on the good lens.