Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anybody with A 50 1.2 and K30? I have a problem.

When I use LV the aperture closes to 5.6-8.0 and focus is impossible. With the FA 50 1.4 I solve the problem by turning the aperture ring to 1.4 and shoot with it like it is K/M lens, here this doesn't work. Is it possible that it is a bug with this lens?

And when Pentax will see this stupid mistake in K30's LV and I will have useful camera for manual focusing with old lenses?

04-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hm, the K-01 has a similar behaviour, interesting that the K-30 would, too. The camera stops down the lens to protect the sensor in live view, but that has the drawback of making a bigger DoF and focusing becomes less accurate. You can try using focus peaking or CiF if that will help. Another thing I was thinking about was using an ND filter to keep the camera from stopping the lens down and then just moving it away when taking the shot, but thats not very practical.
But its odd that the behaviour would continue when the lens is taken out of the A aperture mode. When using a manual lens, the camera usually doesn't fiddle with it unless you press the green button or shutter.
04-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
Actually the K-01 and K30 are the same from inside. So for me there is no surprise, but the problems is real and using ND or anything else doesn't help the aperture stays closed down. I don't think this is a saving the matrix procedure, it is more like a bug that stays 4 versions of the firmware. Peaking is useless if the aperture is closed down and at longer distances when the lens can't separate the background good enough so I'm shooting through the viewfinder for now.
I hope that soon I'm going to be able to buy Sony NEX` because this DSLR thing is very unpractical and annoying.
04-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The camera stops down the lens to protect the sensor in live view
This lens just goes around hoovering soooooooo much light.

These cameras need to put their shades on.

04-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
I hope that soon I'm going to be able to buy Sony NEX` because this DSLR thing is very unpractical and annoying.
Well keep in mind that DSLRs are usually not using in LV mode, but via the OVF and using PD AF. The camera is still usable

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
These cameras need to put their shades on.
lol some smaller cameras have an integrated ND filter on the sensor, which could help remedy this problem.
04-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Just turn the aperture ring off 'A' on the lens.
04-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Just turn the aperture ring off 'A' on the lens.
As I said before - I did the camera is still thinking the lens is on A mode and the mettering is going crazy...

04-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do not understand the problem. I have K-30, and with FA 77mm or FA 50mm it works as well as with K lenses using stop down metering in M mode; lenses are kept wide opened while focusing. There is no difference, whether I use LV or not.

A.
04-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

When I use LV the aperture closes to 5.6-8.0 and focus is impossible. With the FA 50 1.4 I solve the problem by turning the aperture ring to 1.4 and shoot with it like it is K/M lens, here this doesn't work. Is it possible that it is a bug with this lens?

And when Pentax will see this stupid mistake in K30's LV and I will have useful camera for manual focusing with old lenses?
At the risk of asking a stupid question.... is the focusing switch set to MF? Also, what shooting mode are you using?
04-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

As I said before - I did the camera is still thinking the lens is on A mode and the mettering is going crazy...

Then thats strange.
Maybe the 'A' contact is somehow shorted across the whole aperture range.
Its just a spring and contact in the lens, so not sure how it can be.
Or maybe its now always depressed/shorted in the lens.

Anyway, try taping over the contacts and see if that solves it.
04-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My 50f 1.7 works ok in both A or manual mode on my k30 in live view if that means anything to this discussion since it is not the same lens.
04-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeah, its probably the lens then. Clean the contacts on the lens and camera mount, check if moving the aperture ring changes apertures normally (when the lens is unmounted). That's a really sweet lens, so repairing it makes sense
04-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #13

Original Poster
I saw the problem(a colleague in the bg Pentax forum told me to look there)! The A pin on the lens does not hide when I set the lens to A and that's what is making the camera crazy. I hope that soon I will be able to repair it.

Still that closing down the aperture in A mode is stupid pentax decision and I hope they will correct this nonsense in future.
04-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The camera stops down the lens to protect the sensor in live view, but that has the drawback of making a bigger DoF and focusing becomes less accurate.
Wait what? I use my ƒ1:1.2 on my K5 with LV all the time. And actually, I use it on my NEX system even more often, because of the superior manual focussing. Yes, and wide-open too. Is that damaging to the sensor?! My sensors should have been fried already then.
04-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #15
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Still that closing down the aperture in A mode is stupid pentax decision and I hope they will correct this nonsense in future.
At least my FA lenses focus wide opened in LV, and there is no reason it should be different with A lenses. It is a bug with your camera, if there is the same problem (stopped down lens while focusing) with both A 50mmm and FA 50mm.

A.