Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #1

brand-new k-30: does not turn on!

hello all,
i am the new owner of not one but two brand new k-30s from costco. the first one arrived, i followed the instructions to put it together, charge the battery, insert the card etc etc to a t. ... and the camera didn't turn on. called pentax customer support and was advised to return the camera and get a new one... which arrived today and almost the same thing happened: this time, i charged the battery and inserted it but did not bother to attach a lens or insert a card. i just wanted to see if it turned on. which it did, so i turned it off and went back to work. came home, attached a lens, inserted a card and: nothing. thought maybe the card is corrupt so inserted a different one: nothing. thought maybe the battery discharged: charged it again: nothing. took the lens off and the card out and for about ten seconds, the camera turned on long enough to tell me that there's no card in it. i put the card in: nothing.
has anyone ever heard of this? i have two cameras sitting here that are brand new and don't work! advice please!
tomorrow morning i'm calling pentax tech support once more and then its back to costco to return both of them unless someone can enlighten me.
thanks in advance

04-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That sounds almost impossible, two non-functioning in a row. What are you looking at? Have you tried to check that the LCD isn't turned off (Info button on the K-5 at least)? Do you see data when looking through the viewfinder?
04-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Did you try to look into the view finder to make sure the camera was not on ? With the lens attached, look in the view finder, lightly push on shutter button as you try to have it focus, look at the bottom in the view finder if you see some informations display then the camera is on. K30 with old firmware will turn off rear monitor in real short time.
04-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long did you charge the battery? Are you sure you inserted the battery into the charger as per instructions in the manual? If I remember correctly, my first charge took a few hours before it was fully charged. Are you sure that you inserted the battery correctly into the camera? Somehow I just get a feeling this is a battery related problem....

04-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
How long did you charge the battery? Are you sure you inserted the battery into the charger as per instructions in the manual? If I remember correctly, my first charge took a few hours before it was fully charged. Are you sure that you inserted the battery correctly into the camera? Somehow I just get a feeling this is a battery related problem....
I tend to agree. The only other thing I can think of is the first card has an internal short and it instantly blows the K-30 motherboard.
04-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

On the back of the k-30, lower right side, there is a translucent circle. That circle lights up when inserting a SD card (or at least, that's what happens on my k-x).

When inserting a SD card with a charged battery, does that thing light up? It doesn't need the camera to be on to light up.
04-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K30 wont turn on

You have to have a memory card in the slot or it won't turn on . By now you probably already know that.
04-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I tend to agree. The only other thing I can think of is the first card has an internal short and it instantly blows the K-30 motherboard.
I agree, look for a common thread. I'd go with either user error, a singular duff memory card as you say or two bad ones (not counterfeits? they are around).

I've not seen or heard any reports of DOA K-30's and for OP to have gotten two, seems to be an extremely slim likelyhood (unless a batch are stuffed and costco happen to have 'em).

Try a different brand memory card if you haven't.

04-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
You have to have a memory card in the slot or it won't turn on.
Mine turns on just fine without a SD card. But I still also thought that could be the culprit if its a bum card or the K-30 just doesn't like it for some reason.
04-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Check if the memory card door is fully closed. If it is not, K30 wont turn on.
04-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

OP post 04/16. Most recent reply 04/19 and no responses to suggestions from OP.