Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using "interval shooting" & "multi-exposure" simultaneously?

I want to confirm what appears to be the case: I can't automatically shoot multi-exposures using the interval shooting feature

Thanks

Mick

04-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suspect you are correct because you have to hold the shutter release down during the multi-exposure sequence. The interval timed shot is equivalent to just a single short press. It may be possible to rig an external intervalometer to achieve what you want.
04-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I suspect you are correct because you have to hold the shutter release down during the multi-exposure sequence. The interval timed shot is equivalent to just a single short press. It may be possible to rig an external intervalometer to achieve what you want.

Yikes. How would an intervalometer work for this?

Would something like this work for the k30?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/03/insert-coin-timelapse-is-the-intervalomet...e-been-waitin/
04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I just checked the K-30 manual. It explicitly says you cannot use interval timing when multiple exposure is set. That means you would have to use an external intervalometer. There are many commercial units, however they require either a legacy (mechanical cable) remote or a wired remote. I am pretty sure the K-30, like my K-r, only supports an IR remote.
  1. Your first step is to find an intervalometer that would support holding down the shutter release for more than a single click - that will take some research on your part unless another Forum member is already aware of such a unit.
  2. Next, build a wired to IR converter (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html).
  3. And finally plug it all together.
Where their is a will, there is a way .... How much will do you have?

04-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I just checked the K-30 manual. It explicitly says you cannot use interval timing when multiple exposure is set. That means you would have to use an external intervalometer. There are many commercial units, however they require either a legacy (mechanical cable) remote or a wired remote. I am pretty sure the K-30, like my K-r, only supports an IR remote.
  1. Your first step is to find an intervalometer that would support holding down the shutter release for more than a single click - that will take some research on your part unless another Forum member is already aware of such a unit.
  2. Next, build a wired to IR converter (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html).
  3. And finally plug it all together.
Where their is a will, there is a way .... How much will do you have?
Clearly not even enough will to notice that info in the manual. I'll blame it on reading late into the night and being distracted by the news.
04-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigh, copy grey "caution" box. Thanks.
04-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter

My paper manual mostly sits on the shelf. I prefer the pdf version specifically because I can search by a key word.

My daughter and son-in-law live in Cambridge, MA, about 1.5 miles from Watertown. It's a bit tense around there right now. The mess in West, TX isn't much better. I'm sort of in lock-down too. We are currently under a blizzard warning. I keep looking at the calendar on the wall wondering if I have it turned to the right page.
04-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm a PDF guy myself but I've spent so much time on the computer researching this upgrade while I have the time that I needed a break so I kicked back with the paper manual right about the time the news broke. it's a big upgrade for me.

Jim, all my best to your daughter and son in law. I have no doubt that the the authorities will not let this guy continue to be a threat to anyone for very much longer. One down, one to go. On a lighter note I imagine the winter pix you could get after the storm passes would be interesting.

10-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I want to confirm what appears to be the case: I can't automatically shoot multi-exposures using the interval shooting feature

Thanks

Mick
The Pentax K-3 allows interval ME shooting in 'additive', 'average' and 'bright' which make a composite image. You can do up to 2000 shots. You can time interval. Please note that exposure settings cannot be changed during duration of sequence. You can choose which photo in series you like best out of series.