Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Quality VS Name

I mentioned in other threads that I at one point was going to purchase either a D5100 or D5200 until I learned of the K30. I was actually a little obsessed with those cameras partly because they are Nikon. Comparing Nikon with Canon on paper, I feel the Canon name is more than a little overrated. But that is only my opinion so far. 1) I'm new to photography. and 2) I never shot Canon, Pentax or a D5xxx. So all I know is what's on paper.

Now that I have a K30 less than two days from the house, I'll probably only shoot Pentax from this point on. I invested more on the K30 itself than my entire Nikon film outfit for class. But that's all fine. An in body focus motor & IS, topped with weather-resistance was more than enough to make a quick change of plans and go another direction. I'm glad I do my homework before big purchases or I might have been the mad guy holding a D5200 on the beach trying not to get his camera wet, while a guy with a K30 is wet with sand glued to him, but still snapping shots.

All that said: Is there anyone in the forum, who has experience with both the K30 and the D5200? If so could you please compare your experiences with both? As expected, I'm curious to hear the opinions of photographers with more experience than myself. And that's almost anyone here. Because from what i've read so far, the Nikon D5200 is a very capable camera, but IMO the Pentax K30 offers so much more.

Don't let me forget to mention: I do realize, it's the photographer that takes the shot, not the camera. Thanks in advance.

04-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I mentioned in other threads that I at one point was going to purchase either a D5100 or D5200 until I learned of the K30. I was actually a little obsessed with those cameras partly because they are Nikon. Comparing Nikon with Canon on paper, I feel the Canon name is more than a little overrated. But that is only my opinion so far. 1) I'm new to photography. and 2) I never shot Canon, Pentax or a D5xxx. So all I know is what's on paper.

Now that I have a K30 less than two days from the house, I'll probably only shoot Pentax from this point on. I invested more on the K30 itself than my entire Nikon film outfit for class. But that's all fine. An in body focus motor & IS, topped with weather-resistance was more than enough to make a quick change of plans and go another direction. I'm glad I do my homework before big purchases or I might have been the mad guy holding a D5200 on the beach trying not to get his camera wet, while a guy with a K30 is wet with sand glued to him, but still snapping shots.

All that said: Is there anyone in the forum, who has experience with both the K30 and the D5200? If so could you please compare your experiences with both? As expected, I'm curious to hear the opinions of photographers with more experience than myself. And that's almost anyone here. Because from what i've read so far, the Nikon D5200 is a very capable camera, but IMO the Pentax K30 offers so much more.

Don't let me forget to mention: I do realize, it's the photographer that takes the shot, not the camera. Thanks in advance.
Take a look at this review:
Canon T4i vs Nikon D5100 vs Pentax K-30 Comparison - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-23-2013, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I wouldn't call either Canon nor Nikon "overrated" as they both make fantastic cameras. I would say that most camera makers out there produce some fantastic cameras and the market is luckily pretty much free from "junk". I would more say that other than Canon and Nikon most other makers generally get overlooked due to the sheer dominance of the two big once, with a few exceptions (Leica, Hasselblad etc). It means that people needs to search way harder to find a solution if Canikon don't provide what they are looking for and due to that fact most people go by what there friends, family or people in ads have and end up with Canikon anyway, strengthening their dominance even more and therefore puts the alternatives in an even deeper shadow.

Huge market share, peer-pressure and marketing for a dominating company is tough to overcome for smaller ones.
04-23-2013, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I would say that most camera makers out there produce some fantastic cameras and the market is luckily pretty much free from "junk".

Pretty much (assuming we're talking the DSLR field.... there are still some pretty average point and shoots about)

It pretty much comes down to personal preference, and of course, knowledge.

I've used Pentax my whole life, started with dad's Super-A, then the SFX, and now I'm using an *istDS and an ME.

A few of my friends are also into photography and have quite different systems.

One had a Sony Nex something, it took some great shots, but I hated the lack of a viewfinder. I also disliked the fact pretty much everything was via some kind of menu.
Now that same person has a Nikon D7000, really nice camera, nice to handle and I found the controls (power button, general other controls) to be pretty well thought out and intuitive. They were not too dissimilar to Pentax controls in their rough layout.

A different friend uses Canon gear, I tried his camera and found it to be crap in terms of usability. The buttons were just everywhere with no reason (took a few minutes just to find the power button!)

I'm sure though, taht if he picked up a Pentax/Nikon he'd probably think the buttons are all crazy compared to Canon.

Since Canon is the most popular it seems, more people have been introduced to Canon layouts.

The same as everybody seems to love using iPhones and thinks their easy, where I find they're about as simple to use as a Chinese dictionary.

04-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #5

Original Poster

Thanks for the link!
04-23-2013, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The comparison/review mentioned the Canon thumbwheel, and I noticed this right off on my brother's new Canon. It feels exactly like the knock-off K-7 battery grip thumbwheels. These are not hard to make: plastic wheel, bearing, spring, plate and some screws. The Pentax ones, even on the cheapest possible cameras, feel fine. Canon's feel like they deliberately made it poorly, so it would suck every time you used it.
04-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #7

From time to time Pentax hits the market with a really great product that stands out from the crowd. K-x was such a camera (K-r b a bit less) and K-30 is is too. With K-30 they managed to give the camea a fresh look which makes it stand out even more, before you dig into the specs.
04-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #8

I use a K-30 (a DS and K-r before that), I have used some of my friends' Canon Rebel series, and most of my cousins use Nikon (3xxx - 7000).

Pentax and Nikon's layout is roughly the same. Power button at around the shutter button, wheel at the back for the one-wheel models. So I think is one reason why Pentax users would generally consider Nikon over Canon if they were to switch brands. In addition to that, Nikon's body texture is more matte like Pentax as opposed to the smoother (toy-like) body of Canon Rebels.

Using Nikons and Canons, I noticed that the AF was faster, relative to my old DS (hey it came out in 2005), maybe a bit faster than the K-r and a toss up with the K-30. I haven't tried focus tracking though, but I guess with the lower end models of any brand, they are more or less the same.

As for AF accuracy, I haven't tested. But I can say that my friend's Canon 1000D failed to focus in such a low light (didn't even start to focus), but my then DS could.

But, the first thing I noticed is how quiet the AF is (due to in-lens motors), in addition to a softer shutter sound. IMHO that's about the advantage of the low end Canon and Nikon models from Pentax, at least in my case (I don't do video, at least not yet ).

Except for the D7000 (which uses pentaprism), viewfinder is much smaller than Pentax, even with Pentax's pentamirror models.

Zooming the lens is in the opposite direction (yeah I'd be saying the same thing of Pentax if I use Canon or Nikon ), and the lens release button is at the 'wrong' side of the body. Pressing the release button at the left hand side is more awkward than just reaching with your right middle finger while you hold the grip, and remove the lens with your left hand.

I guess while ergonomics is subjective (depends on what you use first), I still think Pentax wins in this department.

Generally I think Pentax users (as well as other 'lesser' brands) use the brand because they did their homework. Ok, in the case of Pentax, they may have inherited the gear from their forefathers .

04-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Generally I think Pentax users (as well as other 'lesser' brands) use the brand because they did their homework. Ok, in the case of Pentax, they may have inherited the gear from their forefathers
I agree. Homework, that's why I'm here.

One quick question I hope doesn't get me laugh out the forum.

So far Ive only owned two hoods with my Nikon stuff and they don't have this little piece that snaps off, leaving a square cut out on the side. The hood that came with my 50-200 WR has one, I have no instructions and have no clue as to what it's for. Would someone please enlighten me?
04-25-2013, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #10

When using a filter like a polarizer, you can turn it without removing the hood.
04-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I agree. Homework, that's why I'm here.
Same here - I researched the hell out of my DSLR system when I first got into it, and came to Pentax. Unfortunately, the majority of people are not so diligent, otherwise Pentax would have a far larger market share. Not taking the blame off of Pentax for their lack of marketing, however the street isn't entirely one way.

For those that just buy the latest reincarnation of Canon's 18mpx APS-C sensor whose initial drawings were found in the pyramids, ignorance is bliss...

QuoteQuote:
One quick question I hope doesn't get me laugh out the forum.
So far Ive only owned two hoods with my Nikon stuff and they don't have this little piece that snaps off, leaving a square cut out on the side. The hood that came with my 50-200 WR has one, I have no instructions and have no clue as to what it's for. Would someone please enlighten me?
And that is designed for using CPL's (Circular Polarizer Filters) so that you can rotate your CPL and adjust it without having to take off the lens hood (assuming the PENTAX is pointed up and the window is at the underside of your lens). A small, but highly ingenious attention to detail that I commend Pentax for doing even in their most budget lenses.

Again - ignorance is bliss

-Heie
04-25-2013, 01:25 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Would someone please enlighten me?
You can stick your finger up it and give it a twiddle, so to speak.

The polarizing filter I mean.
04-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Same here - I researched the hell out of my DSLR system when I first got into it, and came to Pentax. Unfortunately, the majority of people are not so diligent, otherwise Pentax would have a far larger market share. Not taking the blame off of Pentax for their lack of marketing, however the street isn't entirely one way.
Thanks. Once again, it was your youtube video that finalized my decision. E-mail says I'll have my K30 later today. Funny, my 50-200 WR beat the kit here. I'm just staring at a lens. lol
04-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
You can stick your finger up it and give it a twiddle, so to speak.
The polarizing filter I mean.
Classic! Thanks
04-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

Classic! Thanks
Your most welcome and I bet you wont forget why it's there now in a hurry.