Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

K30 internal lens correction and third party lens

Has anyone used a 3rd party lens (The $399.00 price for the Sigma 18-250 macro is intriguing) combined with the internal lens correction settings within the K30? Specifically the distortion correction and lat-chromatic-lat adj. Is there a listing of settings of what will and won't work with 3rd party lenses? Would the AF settings be affected as well (active area, AF-A, expanded) or the D Range settings?

Last edited by Moondawg; 04-27-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
04-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moondawg Quote
Has anyone used a 3rd party lens (The $399.00 price for the Sigma 18-250 macro is intriguing) combined with the internal lens correction settings within the K30? Specifically the distortion correction and lat-chromatic-lat adj. Is there a listing of settings of what will and won't work with 3rd party lenses? Would the AF settings be affected as well (active area, AF-A, expanded) or the D Range settings?
Everything works except for distortion correction and chromatic aberration correction, which you can apply in Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. afterwards if needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In-camera lens correction is only achievable when the camera firmware recognizes the lens mounted and can apply a predefined correction profile to it. This is true for all Pentax DA lenses. No idea about anything earlier. I would be very surprised if there were a profile for any third party lenses. FWIW, the PRIME processor is so slow to apply lens correction that I leave it off and use Lightroom's profiles in post.
04-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick responses Adam and top-quark. I use Photoshop now but I found the lens correction did the trick the few times I needed it with my WR 50-200 and kit 18-55. Not a deal breaker but it is good to know ahead of time what to expect.

04-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just checked the K-5 manual. Lenses for which in-camera correction is possible are: DA (and DAL), DFA and FA Limited.
04-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To add to the earlier comments, in-camera lens correction can only be done with Pentax lenses. But a number of programs/softwares can perform lens distortion correction afterwards in computer.

If lens distortion correction is important (eg for an architect), an excellent package is PTLens (PTLens Home Page). It is a relatively cheap, yet very powerful and accurate software. You can always download the trial version to try. In addition, the developer is willing to add new lenses if you can provide him with suitable image files for calibration.
04-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It's only the distortion correction that's slow in the K-30, the CA one hardly affects speed. I first realised this from a computer magazine review where it compared it with the Canon 650D which is the reverse, CA correction being super slow.