Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

K30 Really Slow to Turn On

Hello,

I recently purchased a new K30, but I am having some troubles with it. The camera seems ridiculously slow to turn on and I can't seem to figure out why. When I turn the camera on the shutter speed on the display and in the viewfinder flashes for about 10-11 seconds before I am able to meter the scene prior to taking a shot. I can take shots before the shutter speed stops flashing but the shots always come out black they are always forced at f22 and 1/6000. I thought this camera was supposed to be ready to shoot in a little over a second after turning on? Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

I can turn the camera on in manual mode and take photos almost immediately so I'm guessing this has to be a setting I'm overlooking somewhere. I have read through the entire manual a couple of times but I'm at a loss to figure out what is going on with the camera.

04-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry you're having this problem, but I've never heard of this before. A couple questions: what mode is your camera in when you turn it on? SV, AV, M, green? Are you in a well lit area when you turn your camera on or are you inside where it's relatively dark? After your camera becomes responsive where you can take a shot, are you able to change the settings so you're not shooting at f22 and 1-6000? But you're saying that when you turn your camera off and then back on, it defaults to f22 and 1/6000?

Just trying to understand what's happening - my k30 when I turn it on, it's ready to go....
04-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your battery fully charged, do you have the latest firmware update installed?
04-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reset camera settings to default and slowly set them again. This should fix your problem.

04-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. For a bit more info here is a better description of what is happening in each mode and some of the troubleshooting I have tried.

Tv - Aperature setting flashes for approximately 10 seconds, ISO defaults to 100 during this time and then goes to Auto.
Av - Shutter speed and aperature flashes for approx 10 seconds, same problem with ISO
TAv - ISO flashes for 10 seconds and is stuck at 100 during that time
Auto - Shutter speed and aperature flash for about 10 seconds
Sv - Aperature setting flashes for 10 seconds, same problem with ISO

During the time that either aperature, ISO or shutter speed are flashing I can't take a photo or the photo will come out black because the camera will always default to 1/6000 f22 ISO 100. The only way I can get a shot off right away is by setting the camera to M. When set to M the camera starts up immediately and exhibits no problems.

So far I have tried 2 different batteries (both fully charged), 3 memory cards, complete reset of the camera and an update of the firmware to 1.04 to no avail.
04-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Does it eventually work in Av Tv etc? Never heard of this problem before and I can't make mine do it. Sounds rather terminal to me. Swap time methinks.
04-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, it does eventually work in Av, Tv, etc but it takes time. Usually 10-30 seconds after turning on or I can go into live view and force it to work a little quicker.

I called Pentax customer support and they said that this is usually a symptom of the camera not recognizing the lens, but it is odd that the lens will eventually work. In the end their suggestion was to clean the contacts on the body and the lens. I just tried this and unfortunately it didn't work. I even tried another lens in the off chance that it was an issue with the contacts on that lens, but it didn't work either.

Unfortunately, it seems like it is a bum camera. Right now I'm just waiting on an RMA# from the online store I bought it from so I can get an exchange.

Thanks for everyone's help.