Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Continuous shooting

I have a Pentax K30. if i set the camera to shoot at 6 fps could someone tell me how many frames it will take to fill up the buffer before the fps slows.

Thank You

Craig

05-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's why there are reviews
Pentax K-30 Camera Performance - Review
05-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this might answer your question Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Drive Modes - PentaxForums.com
05-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for that, perfect

05-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

To add to the initial response, the response to your query is a bit more complex. It will depend upon the file format (RAW, RAW+ or JPEG), the JPEG compression mode (1 to 4 stars, for JPEG pictures), the speed of your SD card, and any in-camera post-processing (eg lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction ...).

First it is highly recommended to 'kill' (switch off) any in-camera post-processing (PP) for Hi-continuous shooting. In-camera PP is slow and will slow down your shooting rate drastically.

If you shoot RAW, you will be limited to a few frames before the buffer is full (RAW files are big!) and the frame rate will slow down afterwards.

If you shoot JPEG, and in absence of any in-camera-post-processing, the buffer will not fill as long as the transfer rate to the card is larger than the buffer input rate (ie the file size times the frame rate). In theory you could run some very long continuous Hi-continuous shooting sequence. Until your card is full off course! As an illustration, with my K-7, using JPEG [2 stars] and a Sandisk Class 10 card, I ran some sequences (at 5.2 fps for the K-7) for more than 45 s without any loss of shots.

Lastly I shoot mostly hand-held mostly action shots: e.g., water, birds, motion, .... I always set my camera to Hi-continuous shooting even if I want a single shot. You never know: I prefer to get 2-3 photographs rather than to miss some important ones.

Hope that the info will help.

Last edited by hcc; 05-02-2013 at 07:41 AM.
05-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well if you have the camera, you could simply press the button and count the number off pictures.
05-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #7

Piet, ek't jou boodskap gekry en ge-antwoord maar die stelsel sê jy aanvaar nie private messages nie? Hoe nou?
Ek is by gar@sun.ac.za stuur maar 'n e-pos. George

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I think this might answer your question Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Drive Modes - PentaxForums.com

05-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
Piet, ek't jou boodskap gekry en ge-antwoord maar die stelsel sê jy aanvaar nie private messages nie? Hoe nou?
Ek is by gar@sun.ac.za stuur maar 'n e-pos. George
Jammer, ek sal na my verstellings gaan kyk...