Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Used K5 or new K30

Wondering what might be a better way to go now that used K5s are running about the same price as new K30s. I have 2 K20Ds (I should get rid of one of them) and a K-01. I'd like the low light performance and better focusing capabilities of one of the newer cameras, however, I don't want to shell out for a new K5IIs until they have a replacement with focus peaking and more focus points, and hopefully better predictive focus. The K5 is higher end, but the K30 does have focus peaking and better PDAF. I saw a test here that even suggests the images are sharper, although I'm wondering if that has been replicated. I'm wondering on balance which is the better path, esp as I do have a bunch of manual focus lenses that I would use in conjunction with the AF ones.

Thanks

05-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a K-01 and a K-5 (for sale right now on the forum). The ONLY 2 reasons I am selling mine is because I have gotten so used to the focus peaking on the K-01 and I just want to try the K-30. If the K-30 was not available I would probably keep the K-5. My K-5 does not get used much anymore, especially since I do so much shooting with MF lenses.
05-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sort of asked the same question here.i decided that neither was upgrade enough --for me--to warrant it. I am keeping the k-01 and will wait and see what the next gen has. I esp want a live histogram -before- shooting. I don't do the buy and sell thing much, so what I buy I want to meet my desires for several years.
05-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Where I see the K30 having a huge advantage is the focus peaking. I'm not sure if the advantages the K5 has closes that gap.

05-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have my K-20D and bought a K30 for my daughter. But since then, the K-20D has not had a chance to take any more picture.
05-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I love my k20ds but if the k30 is that much better, then it is probably time to put one of them on the market....and get that k30.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I have my K-20D and bought a K30 for my daughter. But since then, the K-20D has not had a chance to take any more picture.
05-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I love my k20ds but if the k30 is that much better, then it is probably time to put one of them on the market....and get that k30.
Yes but the question is how much better is the k30 than k-01 I think the major difference is just a viewfinder.
It's redundant, but if that's what you want...

05-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Some IQ research if you want to wade through the other info

I had a similar dilemma recently. As the research progressed it became a comparison of the K-5 to the K-30. Here's a link to the thread and particular post that may be helpful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/220875-upgrading-o...ml#post2343054

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-05-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Link to relevent post; it's a long thread as indicated below.
05-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Yes but the question is how much better is the k30 than k-01 I think the major difference is just a viewfinder.
It's redundant, but if that's what you want...
PDAF vs CDAF...If you're taking pictures of things that don't move much and are contrasty I'm sure it doesn't make much difference.
05-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #10

I went through the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago. I ended up with a k-5, after I handled a k-30 in the store - and I have no regrets whatsoever. My used k-5, after being around the world 2 times, climbing to 20 thousand feet in Nepal, getting coated in 2mm of ice when left outside overnight, feels better in your hands than the still plasticky brand new K-30.

There are pros and cons for both of them, but I don't think the difference in IQ is big for the casual user. K-30 has better video and a tad better AF, K-5 has better DR and advanced features. For me, it felt like the K-5 is the kind of tool you can develop a relationship with, while K-30 is just another camera one would replace in a year anyways.
05-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
For me, it felt like the K-5 is the kind of tool you can develop a relationship with, while K-30 is just another camera one would replace in a year anyways.
I'm not quite ready to propose just yet, but in NY it might even be legal...
05-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's quite a thread! He seemed to be going through the same dilemma, and opted for the k30. He also pointed out he pluses and minuses vis-a-vis the K5 and others.

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I had a similar dilemma recently. As the research progressed it became a comparison of the K-5 to the K-30. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/220875-upgrading-o...-k2000-km.html
05-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And that's why I love NY!

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm not quite ready to propose just yet, but in NY it might even be legal...
05-05-2013, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Wondering what might be a better way to go now that used K5s are running about the same price as new K30s. I have 2 K20Ds (I should get rid of one of them) and a K-01. I'd like the low light performance and better focusing capabilities of one of the newer cameras, however, I don't want to shell out for a new K5IIs until they have a replacement with focus peaking and more focus points, and hopefully better predictive focus. The K5 is higher end, but the K30 does have focus peaking and better PDAF. I saw a test here that even suggests the images are sharper, although I'm wondering if that has been replicated. I'm wondering on balance which is the better path, esp as I do have a bunch of manual focus lenses that I would use in conjunction with the AF ones.

Thanks
If I was in your position I would get a K-30. I have a K20D myself and still use it! But the ISO performance and AF are quite a bit long in the tooth. Between the K20D and K-30 I had a K-r, which is a lovely camera by the way. I discovered that life is possible without the top LCD, because of the (better) status display on the main screen. What I missed more was the 2nd wheel. The missing top LCD (and the body build material) are the only big differences between the K-30 and K-5. The rest is very similar though, while in the end the K-30 has the upper edge IMO.
05-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Plastic is very durable these days. My K-30 survived a 3ft drop, probably because it hit the body rather than the 35/2.4 (thin) plastic fantastic which may have come off badly so I've now got a sacrificial hood on it.