Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To be honest, if the K-30 had come out at the same time as the K-01 I would own a K-30 instead of a K-5. But I have no regrets about buying the K-5.

05-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Looks like the k30 is edging out. I appreciate the feedback. I would miss the top LCD, but I have a D5100 without one and it's not a deal breaker....just something that is missed. But the focus peaking and improved AF are big pluses. I really wonder if I'd miss the 2 bits in actual practice.
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does anybody know what customization is available in the k5 but not the k30? What about the ability to assign a file naming prefix?
05-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Does anybody know what customization is available in the k5 but not the k30? What about the ability to assign a file naming prefix?
There's no file prefix options in the K-30 menus. It doesn't really matter if using RAW as most converters let you assign extra text to converted files.

05-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's true. But, I was hoping that capability was there so that I don't run the risk of 2 raw files from different cameras having the same names. There is a small chance that I would import them into the same folder, but it is something I would rather not have to consider.

I found something that might help with that though. It is a bulk file renamer: Introduction - Bulk Rename Utility

I was also trying to ascertain what configurability the K5 offers that the K30 does not.

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
There's no file prefix options in the K-30 menus. It doesn't really matter if using RAW as most converters let you assign extra text to converted files.
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Yes but the question is how much better is the k30 than k-01 I think the major difference is just a viewfinder.
It's redundant, but if that's what you want...
I beg to differ here. I don't think that VF's are redundant at all. In fact I have a hard time with any camera that lacks one. I love my little Oly Micro 4/3 cam and I can use it sans a VF but the one thing I truly covet in terms of it's accessories is the VF2 that I just cannot afford to spring for right now. If I wasn't saving hard to get a WR body of my own and the 18-135mm lens I'd be saving up for that. Using my Oly indoors, no problem, but out in the sun, even with a little sun shield, I find it nearly useless. The LCD screen is nearly unreadable unless I am in total shade. I do like being able to use any lens I want to on the thing, and it's lightness, but I still don't consider it nearly as useful as a DSLR. It's a toy cam. A fair bit better than your typical point and shoot and sneakier, which I love, but it's just not in the same league as my K-x. A VF isn't an optional feature for a lot of people. My eyes being as bad as they are I actually really need one. I probably won't ever be 100% happy with the little Oly until I can afford to get it one. For serious work I definitely need one. I could never do much other than take snapshots with a camera that did not have one.
05-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have a K20, a K5, and just bought a K30 for my daughter. I still really like my K20, despite the K5 being superior in many ways - most noticeably under low light. It is the one I use most of the time, but the K20 is still nice to have. (I've set the K20 up for some flower photos this spring and it is turning out great images.) After taking delivery of the K30, I took several test shots with it and was VERY impressed. It is an excellent camera with super fast focus (at least compared to the K20). You won't go wrong whatever you decide. I think unless I had GAS really bad, I would spend the cash on a lens before Pentax raises their prices further.

05-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Looks like the k30 is edging out. I appreciate the feedback. I would miss the top LCD, but I have a D5100 without one and it's not a deal breaker....just something that is missed. But the focus peaking and improved AF are big pluses. I really wonder if I'd miss the 2 bits in actual practice.
I don't care about the difference in bits, I just want the focus peaking.....I am addicted to it I tell you....ADDICTED!!!
05-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Having top LCD is nicer, but from K-20D to K30 I have never felt I missed it. May be once in a while the old habit kicked in, then I looked at the top of the camera
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I beg to differ here. I don't think that VF's are redundant at all. In fact I have a hard time with any camera that lacks one. Using my Oly indoors, no problem, but out in the sun, even with a little sun shield, I find it nearly useless. The LCD screen is nearly unreadable unless I am in total shade.
Throw a jacket or towel over your head just like the large format photographers do. I'm serious. The problem isn't that the LCD displays are not bright. The problem is the pupils of your eyes will contract to compensate for the ambient light. So unless the exposed LCD panel is as bright as a desert landscape at noon, it will always be harder to use outdoors. By putting your eye up to a viewfinder, or by putting your head under a jacket, your pupil will again adjust to the ambient light making it much easier to compose.

This is why, while I like my little Olympus P&S, I added a home built optical finder - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/171113-make-your-own-optical-viewfinder.html
05-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Throw a jacket or towel over your head just like the large format photographers do. I'm serious. The problem isn't that the LCD displays are not bright. The problem is the pupils of your eyes will contract to compensate for the ambient light. So unless the exposed LCD panel is as bright as a desert landscape at noon, it will always be harder to use outdoors. By putting your eye up to a viewfinder, or by putting your head under a jacket, your pupil will again adjust to the ambient light making it much easier to compose.

This is why, while I like my little Olympus P&S, I added a home built optical finder - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/171113-make-your-own-optical-viewfinder.html
I saw that. Thought it was total bloody genius but I don't unfortunately have the electronics skills to do something like that. My luck I'd probably fry my Oly, lol. It's not that easy where I live to shoot with a jacket over your head most of the time. A. I'd be risking being mugged. B. It's usually 90 plus degrees in the shade for 3/4 of the year. I'd probably suffocate myself or give myself heat stroke, lol.
05-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #27
Veteran Member

12-bit raw in K20D and K30
vs
14-bit raw in K5.

K-5 has much quieter (or well damped) shutter/mirror flop sound. I prefer K20D shutter sound over K30.

Only focus-peaking is missing in K5.

Edit: I bought a K30 and returned it to get the K5

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 05-07-2013 at 12:14 PM.
05-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I saw that. Thought it was total bloody genius but I don't unfortunately have the electronics skills to do something like that. My luck I'd probably fry my Oly, lol. It's not that easy where I live to shoot with a jacket over your head most of the time. A. I'd be risking being mugged. B. It's usually 90 plus degrees in the shade for 3/4 of the year. I'd probably suffocate myself or give myself heat stroke, lol.
Hard to fry your Oly when the homebrew viewfinder is all plastic and tape. And if the sacrificial one-time use camera doesn't have a flash, you can't fry YOU either in extracting the parts. The biggest danger is keeping your fingers out of the way when doing the little bit of cutting through plastic.

I wasn't too keen on putting a jacket over my head either - especially in central Paris - and that's what prompted me to build my viewfinder. For what it's worth .... I gave that camera to my spouse and she thought the viewfinder was just WAY too 'geeky', so she ripped the Velcro patch off the camera .... I had to move fast to rescue my ugly little viewfinder. It is around here someplace...
05-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I just went with a used K-30 over a K-5 .... I really like the idea of using AA batteries in both my camera and my flash. It minimizes the number of chargers I have to pack when travelling - and in a pinch I can purchase disposable AA batteries. Moving from the K-r to the K-30, I already have two AA adapters and a homebrew AC adapter. I don't use my larger aperture KA lenses all that much, but I have high hopes for focus peaking, even if it means using Live View. I don't shoot a lot of video, but the K-30 is just that bit better that I will leave the video camera at home when vacation touring and I want to travel a bit lighter. I am also guessing for most of my shots, I won't miss the extra 2bits of color information in my RAW files.
05-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Seriously, the K20D has a preferable shutter sound to the K30? I was amazed at how loud the K20D was when I first picked it up, as I already had a Nikon and wondered if something was broken with the K20D mechanism. I then found out that that's the way it is.

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
12-bit raw in K20D and K30
vs
14-bit raw in K5.

K-5 has much quieter (or well damped) shutter/mirror flop sound. I prefer K20D shutter sound over K30.

Only focus-peaking is missing in K5.

Edit: I bought a K30 and returned it to get the K5