Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 shutter button

I was responding to another post that got me to thinking about the shutter release on my K-30. My first shot with it was the back of the lens cap on the lens I had just installed. I barely bumped the release and it fired off. There is no half press. All I have to do is touch the button to activate the camera. Any pressure at all takes the shot. Is this normal for the K-30 or is mine just a little on the touchy side. I am just wondering.
I have gotten use to it but I still get a few surprise shots occassionaly.

05-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The button on my K-30 has clearly 2 stages, focus and shutter release. It never fires when I half press, even when I tap too many times to correct focus..
05-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Banned

My *ist DL has distinct half and full press positions, you can actually feel a "click" so to speak at the 1/2 press position. My K20 and K30 does not have such distinctions, slight pressure will activate metering / focus, slightly more will fire the shutter (though a slight tap shouldn't fire the shutter). This is a somewhat advanced or "pro" feature meant to minimize the possibility of introducing camera shake while activating the shutter, and is perfectly normal. You'll get used to it in no time!
05-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I was responding to another post that got me to thinking about the shutter release on my K-30. My first shot with it was the back of the lens cap on the lens I had just installed. I barely bumped the release and it fired off. There is no half press. All I have to do is touch the button to activate the camera. Any pressure at all takes the shot. Is this normal for the K-30 or is mine just a little on the touchy side. I am just wondering.
I have gotten use to it but I still get a few surprise shots occassionaly.
Make sure you have set the button for focus priority and not release priority.

05-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
Make sure you have set the button for focus priority and not release priority.
I didn't know it could be changed. I up graded from a DL and use to the distance for half stop and shutter release. This one is so touchy I have gotten use to it mostly I am going to check about the setting Thanks for the info.
05-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I didn't know it could be changed. I up graded from a DL and use to the distance for half stop and shutter release. This one is so touchy I have gotten use to it mostly I am going to check about the setting Thanks for the info.
Definitely shouldn't be that sensitive and should be an obvious partial press for focus then press furtur to get shutter release. Look up focus priority in the manual.

Good luck.

Last edited by bcorson; 05-14-2013 at 07:13 PM.
05-14-2013, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

The difference from the DL to the K30's shutter buttons is night and day. The DL you practically stick your finger into the camera about 1/8th of an inch. The K30 IS more sensitive, and the travel is perhaps 1/16th ( measurements are guesses BTW, and meant only for comparisons ). You need quite a bit more force to trigger the DL than the K30, thus are more likely to make the camera move when you shoot, as I stated earlier. If you think it's overly sensitive, bring it to a camera shop and see what they think. My guess is you're so used to "mashing down" the button on the DL that you're putting too much initial pressure on your K30. A light touch should get things going, then a bit more pressure to fire. There is SOME resistance at the 1/2 way point, but nothing like the DL. Good Luck and Good Shooting!
05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
.I
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
There is SOME resistance at the 1/2 way point,
I have no resistance at the half way point which I guess may be the problem as much as anything . The button doesn't quite get even with the body when the shutter fires .I have gotten use to the button the way it is tho so no shop for it . I was just wondering if it was normal. Sounds as if at may be a touch more sensitive than others .But I can live with it the way it is. Thanks to all for the comments.
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
You need quite a bit more force to trigger the DL than the K30, thus are more likely to make the camera move when you shoot, as I stated earlier.
You may have just solved a problem I have had with the K-30. camera blurr. I think I may be over compensating the shutter like I had to on the DL. My hand held shots with the K-30 are not as crisp ( slight blurr) as the DL's. slight movement of the camera seems to be the problem. I guess I need to learn a not to push up slightly with the thumb when releasing the shutter. I am off to try it. Old habits die hard tho. Thanks again

05-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Banned

.I
I have no resistance at the half way point which I guess may be the problem as much as anything . The button doesn't quite get even with the body when the shutter fires .I have gotten use to the button the way it is tho so no shop for it . I was just wondering if it was normal. Sounds as if at may be a touch more sensitive than others .But I can live with it the way it is. Thanks to all for the comments.

You may have just solved a problem I have had with the K-30. camera blurr. I think I may be over compensating the shutter like I had to on the DL. My hand held shots with the K-30 are not as crisp ( slight blurr) as the DL's. slight movement of the camera seems to be the problem. I guess I need to learn a not to push up slightly with the thumb when releasing the shutter. I am off to try it. Old habits die hard tho. Thanks again
Sounds to me like your camera's fine, there's hardly any travel in the K30's shutter button, unlike that of the DL's. When I moved from the DL to the K20 I went through a similar transition of getting used to the more "sensitive" release, but once you're used to it, your accidental firings should disappear.
05-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Check that the button isn't actually stuck in the pressed position. My K-30 has a very distinct feel both for the half press and the full. It's nowhere near being a hair trigger sort of thing. However, and that is why I mention, it did once end up seeming like that. I though the spring had broken or something of the sort making it ultra sensitive but on closer inspection it turned out there was some debris stuck between the button and the inside of the on/off ring. Somehow this was causing the button to stay almost at the end of its travel and it would shoot by the merest touch. It was almost, but not quite, impossible to focus without shooting.
What I have never understood to this day though is how it was possible for the button to be far enough down to shoot at the merest touch but at the same time the focus would not be activated. In other words it was almost fully pressed but not yet half pressed.
Anyway that's just a curiosity - the pint here is have a good look at the shutter button and try to see if there is any debris that might be causing the problem.
05-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How do you autofocus with the shutter button?

Or more particularly, how do you focus and recompose?
05-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
How do you autofocus with the shutter button?

On both the K20 and K30, you pretty much just need to rest your finger on the button with the slightest bit of pressure to activate meter / focus, as long as you don't lift your finger, nothing will change and you recompose, just like other cameras, then you only need a bit more pressure to fire the shutter. The whole travel path is about what a half press on the DL would be. My K20 was sent to C.R.I.S. where it was repaired (main board replaced), cleaned, adjusted and reset and the shutter button never functioned any differently after servicing than it did before, so I seriously doubt there's a problem. Besides, what are the odds I'd get two totally different cameras, years apart, with the same malfunctioning shutter button? Those of you who've never shot a DL have no idea of the difference in the shutter buttons, the lighter touch buttons CAN feel "overly sensitive" after you switch, until you get used to it.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 05-16-2013 at 08:47 PM.
05-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
Banned

Here's what the K20 manual says about the shutter button, where it says "practice pressing the shutter button half way to learn where the first position is", that tells me there is no distinct half press position. The K30 Shutter button functions the same way.

Operating the shutter release button
The shutter release button has two working positions.
Pressing it down halfway (first position) turns on the viewfinder and
LCD panel indicators and the autofocus system operates. Pressing it
fully (second position) takes the picture.
• Press the shutter release button gently when taking a picture to prevent
camera shake.
• Practice pressing the shutter release button halfway to learn where the
first position is.
• The viewfinder indicators stay on while shutter release button is
pressed halfway. The indications stay on for about 10 seconds (default
setting) while the exposure metering timer is on after the button is
released. (p.27, p.99)
05-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah the shutter travel is about 2mm on my K-30 compared to around 6mm for the DL. It is about like the difference between a touch screen and a key board It did take some getting use to the lighter touch. I am getting fewer accidental shots as I get use to the difference in fact they are almost gone.
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I have been considering moving AF to the rear button Like I did with my DL. It makes focus and recompose a lot easier for me also stops a lot of refocus issues in low light
05-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
ovj

After upgrading from DS to K-30 I feel the same frustration about shutter button: there is almost no travel at all on k-30. Fortunately you get used to it pretty fast.