Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
K30 nitpicks.

Hi there, I've had my K30 a couple of weeks and am starting to get the feel of it, a couple of annoying features have cropped up, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have a lot of problems getting the card out of the slot, it doesn't pop out far enough for my chubby fingers, sometimes I can hook my nail under in a groove in the card, but it's a pain!

Secondly, when using the view finder and selective focusing, I can't make adjustments to exposure compensation without going to live view, is there something I don't know?

Also switching off shake reduction involves a lot of menu steps, where as on my K200 it was the flick of a switch.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Tuggie76

05-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
dboeren's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 148
For getting the card out, try pressing it down (unlocking it) and then rapidly removing your finger. On my K-30 the card will shoot out of the camera from the force of the spring.
05-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,632
Shake reduction:

Info button -> select green hand/grey hand symbol -> move control wheel and press ok.
05-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Shake reduction:

Info button -> select green hand/grey hand symbol -> move control wheel and press ok.
You just highlighted one of the beauties of the Pentax menu system. Oft-used menu options are right there at the touch of the INFO button.

05-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 819
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
You just highlighted one of the beauties of the Pentax menu system. Oft-used menu options are right there at the touch of the INFO button.
Oh! And TS, did you skip the manual? :P

For exposure compensation in viewfinder, just press the +/- symbol which is right beside the green button and scroll the rear dial. In and at the bottom of the viewfinder, you will see the exposure compensation symbol right there!

Tsk.... Tsk.... Tsk... *wags finger* Your pacakge should come with a manual you know... :P

PS: Though i know the manual often gets chucked aside almost immediately due to excitement.. Haha! The only manual i've read is for my Super A.. LoL!
05-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
Kona's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria
Photos: Albums
Posts: 201
While I'm not sure with the 30, I'm quite happy with my K-r, that shake reduction automatically turns off when I set it to remote drive (which I keep it in most of the time as I almost always shoot in tripod) but automatically back on when I turn it to single shot mode, which I only use handheld. It's not buried in a menu at all. Just drive mode button, toggle between remote and single. All Pentax DSLR's seem to use basically the same menu system, so I imagine it is the same for the K30.
05-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member
ChooseAName's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southeast USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 390
For the semi-auto modes such as Av, I believe you can customize the control wheel function. On my K-30's Av mode, I have set the front wheel for adjust exposure compensation.

05-16-2013, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
For getting the card out, try pressing it down (unlocking it) and then rapidly removing your finger. On my K-30 the card will shoot out of the camera from the force of the spring.
Thanks DB, I did that, eventually found the card under the sofa

Tuggie76
05-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Shake reduction:

Info button -> select green hand/grey hand symbol -> move control wheel and press ok.
Thanks Jin, easy when you know how!

Tuggie76
05-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Oh! And TS, did you skip the manual? :P

For exposure compensation in viewfinder, just press the +/- symbol which is right beside the green button and scroll the rear dial. In and at the bottom of the viewfinder, you will see the exposure compensation symbol right there!

Tsk.... Tsk.... Tsk... *wags finger* Your pacakge should come with a manual you know... :P

PS: Though i know the manual often gets chucked aside almost immediately due to excitement.. Haha! The only manual i've read is for my Super A.. LoL!
Thanks Sync Guy, I was always told that real men don't read instructions, probably because they don't understand them!

Tuggie76
05-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ingelheim am Rhein, Germany
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,075
QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
For getting the card out, try pressing it down (unlocking it) and then rapidly removing your finger. On my K-30 the card will shoot out of the camera from the force of the spring.
Indeed! I always try to make a show of it. I spring the card out and catch it in mid-air to the wonderment of all those who watch.
05-16-2013, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,892
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Oh! And TS, did you skip the manual? :P

For exposure compensation in viewfinder, just press the +/- symbol which is right beside the green button and scroll the rear dial. In and at the bottom of the viewfinder, you will see the exposure compensation symbol right there!

Tsk.... Tsk.... Tsk... *wags finger* Your pacakge should come with a manual you know... :P

PS: Though i know the manual often gets chucked aside almost immediately due to excitement.. Haha! The only manual i've read is for my Super A.. LoL!
Please do not give our friend a hard time about the manual.

I noticed this problem a few years back, and started to look at historic camera manuals. Old ones, e.g. Zeiss Ikon Contessa (1950s), Spotmatic and MX from Pentax were written around what the systems and software engineers call the 'use case' concept. You want to do this, here is the set of all the instructions to make that task happen. And the manual is written with a logical page 1, start reading and stop when you have found out how to do all the things you want to do.

Modern manuals are written like the computer help menu, as a reference guide. If you do not know the magic word the maker chose to call a feature you have no hope of finding the information. And the information is written around describing the buttons and what they do, but not connecting those possibilities to kinds of action one might want to do, resulting in fragmentary presentation of factoids.

This has become popular in all manuals for all things now. My new car manual is so badly written (the car is German) that it is vitually impossible to use, especially in a hurry, such as 'why will the lights not turn on or turn off the way I expect.'

Old manuals were good for someone starting out, new manuals are only useful for people who are upgrading fromthe previous model or, at worst, have a friend with one who is willing to act as tutor. Is this a conspiracy to get the populace to only buy popoular brands - you can get the real user guide from your friend who already has one?
05-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 819
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Please do not give our friend a hard time about the manual.

I noticed this problem a few years back, and started to look at historic camera manuals. Old ones, e.g. Zeiss Ikon Contessa (1950s), Spotmatic and MX from Pentax were written around what the systems and software engineers call the 'use case' concept. You want to do this, here is the set of all the instructions to make that task happen. And the manual is written with a logical page 1, start reading and stop when you have found out how to do all the things you want to do.

Modern manuals are written like the computer help menu, as a reference guide. If you do not know the magic word the maker chose to call a feature you have no hope of finding the information. And the information is written around describing the buttons and what they do, but not connecting those possibilities to kinds of action one might want to do, resulting in fragmentary presentation of factoids.

This has become popular in all manuals for all things now. My new car manual is so badly written (the car is German) that it is vitually impossible to use, especially in a hurry, such as 'why will the lights not turn on or turn off the way I expect.'

Old manuals were good for someone starting out, new manuals are only useful for people who are upgrading fromthe previous model or, at worst, have a friend with one who is willing to act as tutor. Is this a conspiracy to get the populace to only buy popoular brands - you can get the real user guide from your friend who already has one?
Ah... Hmm... I agree on the point of being too hard on him for the manual. *meant to be taken lightly of course!*

Seems like you kinda pointed out to me that i myself didn't bother reading it too! Maybe that's why i didn't know how the manuals were "designed"..
Admitted that myself though..
05-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Ah... Hmm... I agree on the point of being too hard on him for the manual. *meant to be taken lightly of course!*

Seems like you kinda pointed out to me that i myself didn't bother reading it too! Maybe that's why i didn't know how the manuals were "designed"..
Admitted that myself though..
I took the comments lightly, but agree that the manual is not too much help, the facts are there, but I, for one, need some mentoring, which this forum is great for.

The ideal would be a session with an instructor,but I think I know at least as much as the local camera shop, they are more into Canikons because that's where the market is.

Tuggie76
05-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #15
Senior Member
dragra's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ljubljana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 238
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Old manuals were good for someone starting out, new manuals are only useful for people who are upgrading fromthe previous model...
True. It would be nice if new manuals had dedicated chapters for users upgrading from a previous model.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
card, couple, k-30, k-50, k30, lot, pentax k30, pentax k50, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
k30 problem jennverr Pentax K-30 & K-50 5 10-04-2012 05:33 PM
K30 software jeffw Pentax K-30 & K-50 2 08-08-2012 06:50 PM
K30 Viewfinder rattler97 Pentax K-30 & K-50 4 08-02-2012 03:39 AM
Blue K30? synapsestorm Pentax K-30 & K-50 21 07-27-2012 05:00 PM
K30 compared schufosi777 Pentax K-30 & K-50 4 07-19-2012 05:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top