Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #1

B&W Photography with a K30

Moderator Contact Form Message

Hi, Was wondering how you get B&W photos with a K30.
I know probs a stupid question but I have read throught the book, and had a play aroud and I just can't seem to figure it out.
Please HELP

05-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JESSICADALE Quote
Moderator Contact Form Message

Hi, Was wondering how you get B&W photos with a K30.
I know probs a stupid question but I have read throught the book, and had a play aroud and I just can't seem to figure it out.
Please HELP
Of course you can do in-camera B&W.

RAW images are always in color and you convert to B&W using external software (post processing). That is how many photographers do it. But if you are shooting JPG, just hit your INFO button and the icon in the top left corner of the K-30 display controls how the in-camera JPG engine operates. One of the options is B&W .... along with additional options to simulate a whole range of colored filters film photographers use to affect contrast and tonality on B&W film.

One of the best reasons to do the conversion on a computer is you can have both color and B&W versions; or any of a number of other renditions of your image.
05-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Going B&W it is very important to preserve all colour information from the original scene. This way you have best control when you do your B&W edit in the post. Making B&W in post (preferable from RAW) is superior to OOC B&W.

For strict B&W jobs I use Custom Image Monochrome and RAW+ settings. This way the camera will produce B&W jpegs which are good for instant evaluation after the shoot. And the DNG twin-files are keeping all the the colour data.
05-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, yeah, info button. "Digital filters."
Feel free to download the K-30 manual in pdf form (you can find it online, just google it), so you can just press ctrl+f and search for keywords to find things like that.

You can also shoot in raw mode (and produce .dng files) and then make them black and white in photoshop or other raw converters. But that is slightly more advanced, as you have to find software and learn how to use it to get the effects you wnat.

05-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Aye, as others have said, shoot in colour raw and do the b&w in PP where you have the control and the use of some really quite excellent plug ins.