Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image sharper than k5?

I saw one poster who did a side by side of the k30 and k5, and the images of the k30 appeared a bit sharper (can't remember if it was only for jpeg, which would be important to know). Also, in Adam's review side by side the k30 seemed to me a bit sharper too. Does anyone who has owned both have the same impression?

Thanks

Still pondering k5 vs k30 (talk about being indecisive!)

05-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think the cameras are different in other ways, which are more important than apparent sharpness. If you really only care about sharpness, get a K-5IIs and a macro lens
05-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree but the k5iis is off the table for a moment (unfortunately).....so I was trying to determine whether these (potential) observations have been seen by those who have experience with both.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the cameras are different in other ways, which are more important than apparent sharpness. If you really only care about sharpness, get a K-5IIs and a macro lens
05-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

I think K5 is a slightly superior Camera, and that the best bet for sharpness is on the lens you are getting.
If you are not pixel peeping difference shouldnt be flagrant.

05-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe the K-30 has a weaker AA filter (also the K-01 - they share the internals pretty much). Therefore it actually does produce sharper images.
05-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is that actually true? If so, that could make a difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I believe the K-30 has a weaker AA filter (also the K-01 - they share the internals pretty much). Therefore it actually does produce sharper images.
05-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Are we talking RAW-to-RAW comparison? The JPGs out of the K-30 are sharper than the K-5 at standard settings from what I recall but RAW-to-RAW is a different matter.
05-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I posted a comparison a while back between the k-01 and k-5, and the k-01 was obviously a bit sharper. I think it and the k-30 have the same stuff. I decided to keep the k-5 however because of ruggedness, wr, burst rate, etc. The k-30 might be a nice mix of the two?

05-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We're those DNGs? Or, we're they jpgs?

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I posted a comparison a while back between the k-01 and k-5, and the k-01 was obviously a bit sharper. I think it and the k-30 have the same stuff. I decided to keep the k-5 however because of ruggedness, wr, burst rate, etc. The k-30 might be a nice mix of the two?
05-18-2013, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have extensive experience with both the K-5, K-30, and now the K-5 IIs, and I must say, the K-30 is inherently significantly sharper than the K-5 Classic.

I was thinking about it quite a bit the other day when I came across Docwrm's K-5IIs impressions thread here. I haven't used the K-5 since November (destroyed it accidentally - my fault, not the camera's), and right now I use the K-30/K-5 IIs, and I must say, I have *not* noticed the same shocking realization between the two. What this means is that I went from the K-5 to the K-30, and then the K-30 to the K-5IIs, and sometimes I have to really search hard to make sure I had the cameras right. The K-30 seems to have a weaker AA filter and honestly be pretty damn close to the performance of the K-5 IIs (yes, IIs). Here's a comparison I did between the K-30 and K-5 IIs. Between the two (K-30/K-5 IIs), if I had to pick one, I would definitely pick the K-5 IIs. Not because of the 14-bit vs 12-bit RAW images, better WR (I would argue they are equal with the K-5 taking the edge because of its far more durable body), but because of some critical features the K-30 is lacking: A top screen (very handy for tripod work), a battery grip option, and above all, a dedicated ISO button. The lack of a dedicated ISO button is my *single* major gripe with the K-30 and it has caused me to miss many shots because of trying to make a quick ISO adjustment (I shoot in manual mode only and part of my shooting style is to make immediate changes to the shutter speed/aperture/ISO when needed), and yet it turns out I am moving the AF points around because they share the same keypad.

If you aren't one to have a super fast need to change parameters (it's just how I've trained myself to shoot) and don't need a battery grip, the K-30 is a fantastic buy and one I recommend 100%. You will *not* be missing out on the "sharpness revolution" as compared to the K-5 IIs.

Hope this helps

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 05-18-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
05-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I seem to remember having the indecisive ISO button issue same as you when I first had my K-30 but never see it now. Perhaps it was a thing of the past after after I set the RAW/Fx button to AF point select.

Oh, and yes I agree the K-30 is very sharp with the right optics, especially with landscapes for some reason - probably the bright light as much as anything.

Last edited by SteveB; 05-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.
05-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Heie - really interesting comparison of images. Looks like the SOOCs are better from the K5iis but after processing the difference narrows considerably. I do think the color rendition looks a bit better on the k5 IIs, but I digress.

Do you find a marked AF improvement on the k30 vs the k5 classic? How about in more challenging light?

Thanks
05-19-2013, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I seem to remember having the indecisive ISO button issue same as you when I first had my K-30 but never see it now. Perhaps it was a thing of the past after after I set the RAW/Fx button to AF point select. Oh, and yes I agree the K-30 is very sharp with the right optics, especially with landscapes for some reason - probably the bright light as much as anything.
Hmm....I will have to experiment with that. Thanks! And yes, the K-30 is a phenomenal camera. I really wish Pentax would have gone all in with investing in the marketing and product placement of it at Targets, Walmarts, Best Buys, etc. It is so far and beyond a superior camera compared to anything the competition has in that price range, especially last summer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
@Heie - really interesting comparison of images. Looks like the SOOCs are better from the K5iis but after processing the difference narrows considerably. I do think the color rendition looks a bit better on the k5 IIs, but I digress. Do you find a marked AF improvement on the k30 vs the k5 classic? How about in more challenging light? Thanks
Glad it helped Yes, I agree with the gap closing with processing, which is why I did it. I would get irritated at the absolute stupidity of seeing countless threads discussing how the K-5 II processed files were just as good as the K-5 IIs unprocessed files. How that is relevant/applicable/practical/useful to anything is simply beyond my logical abilities. But I digress...

I haven't used the K-5 in over 6 months, but I do remember that my first impression of the K-30 when I took it out of the box (in Afghanistan ) was that the AF was much more decisive. I don't have any experience with continuous tracking AF since that isn't my shooting style/needs, however just standard single point AF? The K-30 is much better. I also never had an issue with FF/BF with the K-30 (and subsequently the K-5IIs either, thankfully) and I spent quite a few frustrating days tinkering with it on the K-5. Not a huge deal on 1-2 lenses, but when you have over 5 and most are zooms, it takes its toll.

Hope that answers your question

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 05-19-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo
05-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@heie - one last thing. Do you notice better AF in low light. The k20d just doesn't cut it, and the k01 isn't dramatically better. I know that the k5ii/s is the way to go for low light focusing, but just wondering how you find the K30 in low light vis-a-vis the K5 classic. Thanks again. I was considering a used k5, but now am leaning towards a k30.
05-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
We're those DNGs? Or, we're they jpgs?
DNG's

QuoteQuote:
I was considering a used k5, but now am leaning towards a k30.
sounds like a good plan.