Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Power zoom and k30

I saw the following in the review of the k30
"No support for power zoom lenses, even though the mount has the required power contacts. The power contacts are only used to provide power to lenses with built-in autofocus motors."

I'm not sure just what that means. It seems like lenses with built on motors work according to that statement. Can someone explain what this means and what this limitation means?

Thanks

05-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I saw the following in the review of the k30
"No support for power zoom lenses, even though the mount has the required power contacts. The power contacts are only used to provide power to lenses with built-in autofocus motors."

I'm not sure just what that means. It seems like lenses with built on motors work according to that statement. Can someone explain what this means and what this limitation means?

Thanks
I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Powerzoom line of FA lenses but if you are not, here's what they are; In the auto focus film days Pentax produced a line of "Powerzoom" lenses that auto zoomed when you twist the zoom ring (here's one), similar to what many (or most) point and shoot cameras do. The zoom ring also worked as a switch by sliding it up or down to turn this feature on or off. I've had a Powerzoom lens and to me the Powerzoom feature was more useless than useful.

To shorten the story, the Powezoom lens will work fine as an auto focus lens on your K-30, you will have to zoom it by hand like every other zoom lens.
05-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Tom. Unless I am missing something, it doesn't sound like a big loss. Of course, others who have tried it might disagree.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Powerzoom line of FA lenses but if you are not, here's what they are; In the auto focus film days Pentax produced a line of "Powerzoom" lenses that auto zoomed when you twist the zoom ring (here's one), similar to what many (or most) point and shoot cameras do. The zoom ring also worked as a switch by sliding it up or down to turn this feature on or off. I've had a Powerzoom lens and to me the Powerzoom feature was more useless than useful.

To shorten the story, the Powezoom lens will work fine as an auto focus lens on your K-30, you will have to zoom it by hand like every other zoom lens.
05-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Power zoom is no big loss. It was a three speed rig, and like the power zooms on all the point and shoots, it never stops exactly where you want it to. Zoom with the ring. Everything else works fine.

06-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's not essential, but I rather enjoy the power zoom on my FA*80-200/2.8, and it does stop where I want. I wouldn't mind it being included on some of the newer zooms, but it'd have to be multiplexed with the SDM AF drives, as they use the same contacts.