Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Split screen and the K30

Is there any reason to consider putting a split focus screen in the K30? Or, does focus peaking make that redundant.

I've heard that focus peaking might not be that accurate with very wide apertures, such as f1.4, although I'm not sure if that is only if it is close up.

Thanks

05-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I work with DA/DFA primes between f2,4/f2,8 and they are fine in the focus-peaking manner. My only "very wide aperture" lens is the smc M 1,4/50mm and even that works perfectly fine.

There may be circumstances though where using the LCD is not appropriate for some reason. With installed split screen you are armed for every purpose.

Last edited by dragra; 05-20-2013 at 07:40 AM.
05-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've found focus peaking to be slightly disappointing on the K-30. Maybe it's my eyes or my settings or something, but it's not quite so apparent when something is in focus. And it doesn't seem to do well in low light. Don't get me wrong, it's better than not having it, but not quite the "killer app" kind of feature I thought it would be. I plan on getting an EE-S screen for my K-30 when I have the funds.
05-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think that split focus screens can also be difficult to use in low light....I think the issue is that....low light.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I've found focus peaking to be slightly disappointing on the K-30. Maybe it's my eyes or my settings or something, but it's not quite so apparent when something is in focus. And it doesn't seem to do well in low light. Don't get me wrong, it's better than not having it, but not quite the "killer app" kind of feature I thought it would be. I plan on getting an EE-S screen for my K-30 when I have the funds.