Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

k-30 focus problem

hi guys,

got my k-30 like 2 months ago, i recently keep finding it has problem to focus on infinity sometimes. Like i half press, and it was kept searching.

It seems had problem on my kit lense from k-x and also the 35mm f2.4..

Anyway knows what could be the problem?

05-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happens sometimes with wider lenses. Have you tried calibrating the focus?

Fixing Front and Back Focus - Causes of Front- and Back-Focus - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Using Center Focus Point and focus on something has more contrast.
05-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
but most guys are not having problem with the kit lense?

i try not to do anything since just a few month old, maybe i can send it back for a check or replacement if it is not normal

05-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
but most guys are not having problem with the kit lense?

i try not to do anything since just a few month old, maybe i can send it back for a check or replacement if it is not normal
Why don't you post some of your problem pictures? This way we may have some more accurate diagnosis.
05-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
sometimes the camera is just searching for focus.. even it is a bright day.. it is not a photo is out of focus after taking.

guess i need to read up a bit how the autofocus of the DSLR works so i have some clues.
05-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

All I can think of that you might be doing wrong when trying to focus on infinity is perhaps you're aiming the AF sensor at the sky. If the sky is plain blue or white/grey then there's nothing that the AF can focus on, basically because it looks much the same out of focus as in focus. You either need definite clouds with edges/detail or make sure you're aiming at trees, skyline or something with contrast.

05-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately I've had similar problems with my K30 but only when using the 40mm Limited lens and always when trying to focus at something more than 50ft away or more - my only other lens at the moment is the 18-135 WR and I haven't experienced the problem with that. It happened again at the weekend, I was using it in very sunny conditions but I was trying to photograph people in costumes (plenty of contrast) in the shade next to a building about 75ft away and it refused to focus even when I moved the focus point slightly, I should probably have switched to manual focus but got frustrated at the time and used my RX100 instead which focused with no problems.

It has only happened 5 or 6 times (over 5 months) and at the moment I would be inclined to say it is lens related but I haven't really experimented enough in comparison with my 18-135 to be certain.
05-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RedMist Quote
Unfortunately I've had similar problems with my K30 but only when using the 40mm Limited lens and always when trying to focus at something more than 50ft away or more - my only other lens at the moment is the 18-135 WR and I haven't experienced the problem with that. It happened again at the weekend, I was using it in very sunny conditions but I was trying to photograph people in costumes (plenty of contrast) in the shade next to a building about 75ft away and it refused to focus even when I moved the focus point slightly, I should probably have switched to manual focus but got frustrated at the time and used my RX100 instead which focused with no problems.

It has only happened 5 or 6 times (over 5 months) and at the moment I would be inclined to say it is lens related but I haven't really experimented enough in comparison with my 18-135 to be certain.
Now you say that, I do remember having an issue one time in very sunny weather where I was trying to AF on something 25ft away that was big, detailed but shaded and next to blindingly bright light just on the edge of the frame and it just wouldn't focus. I can't remember what lens it was (probably the 35/2.4 though) but I put it down to lens flare confusing the AF sensors. I haven't noticed it since.
05-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sometimes the focus will have problem that become annoying that fail to focus on common scene.. I wonder is there a way to check focus?
05-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
Sometimes the focus will have problem that become annoying that fail to focus on common scene.. I wonder is there a way to check focus?
As long as you don't post some of your "problem" pictures this conversation is pointless.
05-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would also like to see some of the pics (with EXIF) causing the problems. I haven't had any problems so far, using various lenses
06-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I would also like to see some of the pics (with EXIF) causing the problems. I haven't had any problems so far, using various lenses
The problem is that the camera won't lock focus so if you have focus priority enabled it won't take a photo so it's not possible to post any problem photos
06-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The problem is that the camera won't lock focus so if you have focus priority enabled it won't take a photo so it's not possible to post any problem photos
Ok,I get it. I'm using release priority, might give it a try tomorrow and see what happens with focus priority.

EDIT: Have you tried release priority?

Last edited by altopiet; 06-01-2013 at 06:58 AM.
06-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #15

Your brains have to be online with the camera AF-mode, I mean you ought to "tell" the camera what you're after, what's your point of interest. If you point it to the plain sky it might be tough, except there is some cloud or BIF which it can have a lock on.