Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
High-speed sync

Eagerly awaiting my K30.

Got a question...can it do high-speed sync?

Thanks

05-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Eagerly awaiting my K30.

Got a question...can it do high-speed sync?

Thanks
Sure it can.. with a proper flash..
05-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I was surprised to find out it can, because some of its competitors can't. I have a Nikon D7000, which can, but I don't think my D5100 can....which I see as it's peer as far as the market segment is concerned.
05-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I don't know about the Nikons though, but as Pentax is concerned you can do HSS with any camera. It is a functionality provided by the flash, not by camera.

05-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
I don't know about the Nikons though, but as Pentax is concerned you can do HSS with any camera. It is a functionality provided by the flash, not by camera.
Well, sort of. The camera body still has to tell the flash when to strobe and for how long.

The fastest shutter speed on a Pentax body where the shutter is fully open is 1/180th of a second. Any shutter speed faster than this is formed by a moving slit. To do flash photography with a moving slit requires a flash to repeatedly strobe as the slit moves. HSS is not very good in my opinion for moving objects. Where it is most valuable is doing fill flash on a stationary object when the ambient background light level is high. As said though, the K-30 will do HSS flash with a capable external flash.
05-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right, it's an option for when you need it, but it is there, at least.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Well, sort of. The camera body still has to tell the flash when to strobe and for how long.

The fastest shutter speed on a Pentax body where the shutter is fully open is 1/180th of a second. Any shutter speed faster than this is formed by a moving slit. To do flash photography with a moving slit requires a flash to repeatedly strobe as the slit moves. HSS is not very good in my opinion for moving objects. Where it is most valuable is doing fill flash on a stationary object when the ambient background light level is high. As said though, the K-30 will do HSS flash with a capable external flash.