Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #16

i may have jumped the gun disliking it, the shake reduction seems to do it's job after i got used to it.

02-16-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #17
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john.smuda.3 Quote
i may have jumped the gun disliking it, the shake reduction seems to do it's job after i got used to it.
Yes, when I had a Canon Rebel and a small-sensor Pentax Q-7, I used the Q-7 for indoors photos because it allowed me to take good photos despite needing longer exposures. Recently I took this photo with by light from a table lamp only, holding the Q-7 one-handed at an awkward angle, of my buddy as she lay next to me - shutter speed is 1/4 second.

02-16-2019, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SR isn't automatically disabled if your camera is on a tripod. You have to disable it yourself.
02-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #19

ah ha! I got a legitimate work around! 2 second delay after shutter button....

ah ha! I got a legitimate work around! 2 second delay after shutter button. is pressed it takes a picture with shake reduction on!

use 'interval shooting' mode. set it to 2 exposures total, two seconds apart.

so, here is what happens,
1. press the shutter button.
2. takes a picture.
3. hold camera steady with your hand
4. two seconds later a picture is taken with shake reduction on automatically
5. delete first picture.

downside is it takes twice as many pictures, but i got what was most important to me. that is: after I press the shutter, the camera gives me two seconds to steady my hands, and then automatically takes a picture.

to me, the 'shutter bounce' that happens when you take a picture is very severe. no matter how careful i am. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I just always thought the whole purpose of the two second delay was to eliminate shutter bounce. I am still amazed Pentax turns off all shake reduction with the two second timer because they assume you are using a tripod. why have any delay on a tripod at all?

02-24-2019, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I just always thought the whole purpose of the two second delay was to eliminate shutter bounce. I am still amazed Pentax turns off all shake reduction with the two second timer because they assume you are using a tripod. why have any delay on a tripod at all?
Because on a tripod you can still get both shutter and mirror shock.

An answer to shutter shock is an electronic shutter, BTW, as long as artificial lights conditions are favourable and subjects aren't moving.

02-24-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

why have any delay on a tripod at all?
It is a silly idea going back at least 60 years where it was assumed that tripods might not be particularly stable and might actually harbor resonance traceable to SLR mirror slap as well as shutter press. Some makers* offered mirror-up on shutter press with the self timer,** hence a similar silly feature on today's cameras.

Steve

* My Ricoh Singlex TLS, Ricoh XR-2s, Exakta VX IIa, and Exakta VX 1000 are all that way.

** The idea being that the timer would allow vibrations to dissipate prior to opening the shutter.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-24-2019 at 01:48 PM.