Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #1

Lens OS or K-30 SR

Do you guys use Lens OS or the in camera SR?

I have a sigma 17-70 2.8-4, is it better to use the lens OS or the K30 SR. From what i read before a couple years back, SR and OS are almost the same. Just wondering what others are using or what would be your choice if your lens has an OS?

05-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a short lens like that, in-camera stabilization is going to perform just as well, so you may as well stick to it for the sake of convenience IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
The advantage of in-lens stabilization is that the viewfinder and autofocus sensors also see a stabilized image. If it is your only lens I think I would use in-lens stabilization. But you'd have to turn SR off. And if you have other non-stabilized lenses then switching to these lenses may be a pain because you'd have to remember switching SR on again.
05-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would try both to see which one I would prefer.
As the best choice might differ from lens to lens, or user to user, it's difficult to say one is better than the other, but OS has the advantage of stabilizing OVF (which is most important on longer focal length), but it probably also drain battery faster. For live-view and video OS is probably the best choice.

05-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I actually prefer to see shake in the viewfinder or LCD before I take the shot. Seeing that I'm shaking reminds me to settle down and improve my hold. I would rather rely on good technique before the shot, rather than counting on a mechanism to rescue the shot.