Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I've come to the conclusion that I may also need a new camera bag for the new camera.
My philosophy on camera bags is try before you buy. As you say the choice is mind boggling. I think I have only ever bought 1 bag new, my Lowepro sling bag. Everything else has been picked up at thrift shops or estate sales. In general most estate sales will have at least one camera bag and they are almost always in 'like new' condition. I have a nice Computrekker backpack that sells for about $100 new, I paid $5. Lots of things at thrift sales are just well used, but for some reason camera bags seem to be in good shape.

06-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Bag choices get rather personal. And sometimes you have to make compromises - for me that is trying to fly with my one allowed personal carry-on that holds both my computer and my photo gear - - - no a carry-on roller suitcase doesn't work although you can carry them on . Since airlines started charging for checked baggage on domestic flights, almost everyone has a roller type carry-on and I am often forced to place my carry-on roller bag into the hands of baggage handlers anyhow. As a result, I use a combination notebook/photo messenger style bag.

As for all those Cokin filters.... about the only filters that cannot be duplicated in either the camera or in post processing are circular polarizers or neutral density. Add to that the fact that every optical surface you add will, however minor, degrade your image, and everything else is just extra baggage. My Cokin collection is gathering dust over in the corner of the shelf because a couple threaded CPL filters take up a lot less room in my bag than the filter holder, let alone the filters.
06-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the bag tips everyone and I think I have it narrowed down now.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
As for all those Cokin filters.... about the only filters that cannot be duplicated in either the camera or in post processing are circular polarizers or neutral density. Add to that the fact that every optical surface you add will, however minor, degrade your image, and everything else is just extra baggage. My Cokin collection is gathering dust over in the corner of the shelf because a couple threaded CPL filters take up a lot less room in my bag than the filter holder, let alone the filters.
You raise a very valid point and I guess that part of my brain is still stuck in the pre-computer film era where you had to make creative/artistic choices prior to hitting the shutter release.

I've been a Photoshop user since V1.0 (when it was only available for greyscale images on the Mac 'toaster') so I know what can be done in PP, it just seems a pity to have all those nice filters gathering dust in a closet.

My 20 year old daughter has recently been introduced to all my old photo gear and got really excited about the creative possibilities when she saw the filters despite me telling her it could all be done in PS now and she's adamant that she wants to try them anyway so maybe they will get dusted off and used at least one more time.
06-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You raise a very valid point and I guess that part of my brain is still stuck in the pre-computer film era where you had to make creative/artistic choices prior to hitting the shutter release.
I think you will find that many participants in this Forum will tell you that making creative/artistic choices prior to hitting the shutter is a good form of being stuck, even if the application is in post processing.

06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

There was recently a discussion on bags. Lots of good ideas here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/222893...amera-bag.html
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help/suggestions folks. I've ordered all my bits and pieces and now I just have to sit and wait for them to arrive!
06-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the help/suggestions folks. I've ordered all my bits and pieces and now I just have to sit and wait for them to arrive!
Can we be nosy and ask just what 'bits and pieces' you decided on? Of course only half of us will agree with only half of your decisions..

06-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Can we be nosy and ask just what 'bits and pieces' you decided on? Of course only half of us will agree with only half of your decisions..
Well..........I decided I couldn't afford everything I wanted/liked this time around and so I had to pass on the 18-135mm lens. IMHO the stuff I did get should give me a good base especially when tied in with my existing legacy gear. I can always add to this later...right!

So this is what I did get:

Camera/Lens

Pentax K-30 body (Blue) with DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR Lens

Accessories

Lenspen DSLR Pro Kit (3 Lenspens of different sizes + Micro-fibre Cloth)
HOYA 52MM S-HMC UV Filter
Ape Case ACPRO 1400 Pro Digital Shoulder Bag
Pentax D-BH109 AA Battery Holder
ACMAXX 3.0" Hard LCD Screen Protector For Pentax K-30
Sandisk 16GB Class 10 Extreme SDHC Memory Card 45MB/s
SDHC Card Reader

I already have a Slik U8000 tripod and a Slik 200G mono-pod but I augmented these with a 'Hammers' collapsible aluminum hiking pole which also has a standard tripod mounting screw hidden under the ball on the top of the pole. This will help me out with my slowly disintegrating hips, either as a walking cane or as a taller hiking pole as well as acting as a mono-pod (two birds killed with one stone....bonus! ).

Telescoping Hiking Stick - Lee Valley Tools
06-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! You will have fun I'm sure.
06-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #25

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Sounds like you made some good choices. I'm passed the stick stage and use a walker, I just need to figure out how to safely rig up a mount for my walker!
06-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only place I think you could have saved some money would have been to skip the UV filter. The camera's sensor already has UV & IR filters, with modern lenses a UV filter does more to degrade images than protect the lens - your lens hood offers much better protection. But that's a minor thing.

May I offer a suggestion for your walking stick? The Sima style I use is strong yet lighter weight plastic rather than metal with no sharp corners. They are inexpensive enough that I keep one on each of my support devices and cameras. My oldest Sima QR is at least 20 years old and still going strong. The round design works well as a walking stick cap.

A ball head is really only useful for shooting in portrait mode. All other adjustments are made by moving the support. And since we are talking about a monopod or trekking stick, you will always have your hands on the camera, so a ball head need be neither large nor heavy. I use the Giottos Professional Mini Ball Head. Again, if you can skip using your stick for portrait mode, you don't really need a ball head.
06-06-2013, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Sounds like you made some good choices. I'm passed the stick stage and use a walker, I just need to figure out how to safely rig up a mount for my walker!
Hmmm - use a sectional monopod with the bottom section extended to attach it to the walker with a wood block spacer and screw-type hose clamps? Then adjust height with the other sections? It should be almost self storing on the walker. As in my above post, I would suggest the Sima quick release with it's lack of sharp corners and a ball head - although a larger ball head might be in order for this rig.