Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 vs K30

Really having a hard time deciding on upgrading from my Ist DS. Up to know I have only bought second hand trailing edge technology. I have watched K30 prices drop and now I noticed the K5 (discontinued) is showing up at near K30 prices. The K5 has a sturdier frame and the specs on the K5 and K30 are very close . Both are weather resistant. Does the K5 use the same processor as the K30? It appears they use the same version of autofocus.

Thoughts K5 vs K30?

06-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-30 uses a newer image processor that handles things like focus peaking. If I understood it correctly the K30 is nearly the same when it comes to phase detection AF, but doesn't have trouble with low tungsten light like the K-5. In liveview the K30 is vastly superior when it comes to AF. The K-5 on the other hand has a full metal body, battery grip compatibility and slightly higher ISO, framerate and shutter speed. For video the K-30 is better in many ways except the lack of mic input, but you can always use an external recorder and sync the sound afterwards.

In short, both are about the same level and it's mostly about taste.
06-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

I went through the same tough decision. Here is my thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/226324-advice-pentax-camera-buy.html

There is also a DSLR comparison located on the main forum page that compares the two cameras. One other difference is that I think the K-5 has 14 bit color depth and the k-30 has 12 bit.
06-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
Really having a hard time deciding on upgrading from my Ist DS. Up to know I have only bought second hand trailing edge technology. I have watched K30 prices drop and now I noticed the K5 (discontinued) is showing up at near K30 prices. The K5 has a sturdier frame and the specs on the K5 and K30 are very close . Both are weather resistant. Does the K5 use the same processor as the K30? It appears they use the same version of autofocus.

Thoughts K5 vs K30?
I'd say go for the K-30 if you've still got a DS. It's better in every area and a feels a bit more modern than the K-5, though the K-5 does produce slightly better files thanks to its 14-bit raw support.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I returned K30 to get K5 (and was ready to loose $100 just to be able do that).
A couple of reasons I went with K5 was 1) I got an excellent price for K5 with 18-135 for about$1000 and 2) I could not decide between K5-II and K5-IIs

The 14 bit raw + elegant (quieter) shutter sound helped K5 to win over K30. For image quality differences check out
Imaging Resource "Comparometer"
06-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I was also going to point out the quieter shutter on the K-5. Inconsequential to many, but extremely important to others, myself included. If you do a lot of shooting in quiet settings, or of animals, it could be important to you as well.
06-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #7

I too upgraded from *istDS earlier this year and faced the decision between K-30 and K-5. In the end I chose the K-30 and am not regretting this decision. There are numerous comparisons and each has their strengths and feature sets. There are a couple of features in the K-5 I would like in my K-30 (mirror lock-up without the short timer, 5 frame bracketing vs 3 max for the K-30) but image quality, I believe from as much research as I could do that the 30 just pips the 5. Same for AF, tests and user experience give the balance to the K-30 over the 5. If I had bought the 5, I know I would be kicking myself for not waiting for the 5IIs having seen the results but I'm happy with the 30 for a while and wait to see the next offerings.

There are a couple of very good comparison threads
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/225230-image-sharper-than-k5.html
and
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/221729-k-5-iis-vs-k-30-how-muc...ml#post2353496

There will be many different opinions of course, this is just mine but there are others who share it.

Last edited by Adinfinitum; 06-03-2013 at 08:56 PM.
06-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have both and th image and colour quality on both is excellent. I think the big factors the k5 has over the 30. Is higher burst frame rate, battery grip available, and the very very quiet shutter.

06-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #9

I also have both, the K-5 and K-30. Just received my K-5 yesterday, all black and metal and I fell for it immediately after I've unpacked it.

The first thing I've noticed about the K-5 was it's rock-solid metal body and buttery smooth e-dials, especially the back one. Then the battery seemed a bit larger as well (it's larger, big time). Once I've turned the camera on, I've noticed that the LCD screen is not as pleasant too look at as it is with K-30 - it's not as accurate, probably because of lower resolution.

Ergonomically speaking, both feels good in my medium sized palm, but the front grip of K-30 is just a tad larger, thus it sits in my hand a little bit more comfortable. However, K-5 outshines the K-30 with it's controls and buttons.

To be continued.
06-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Ragman Quote
I also have both, the K-5 and K-30. Just received my K-5 yesterday, all black and metal and I fell for it immediately after I've unpacked it.

The first thing I've noticed about the K-5 was it's rock-solid metal body and buttery smooth e-dials, especially the back one. Then the battery seemed a bit larger as well (it's larger, big time). Once I've turned the camera on, I've noticed that the LCD screen is not as pleasant too look at as it is with K-30 - it's not as accurate, probably because of lower resolution.

Ergonomically speaking, both feels good in my medium sized palm, but the front grip of K-30 is just a tad larger, thus it sits in my hand a little bit more comfortable. However, K-5 outshines the K-30 with it's controls and buttons.

To be continued.
Continued

The best things about K-5's buttons are the placement of ISO button nearby on/off dial and green button is placed where your thumb rests. This makes it especially easy to work with manual lenses, since I use green button for metering and changing ISO constantly for best performance. K-5 also has a dedicated dial for autofocusing, which makes it even more pleasurable to control the camera. For instance, on K-30, if you want to select a specific focus point, you would have to press INFO, then select the focusing method with a dial or 4way controller. However, after you've selected to choose the focusing point manually, you will not be able to take control of ISO and vice versa. It was very irritating experience for a first time DSLR user like me.

Next thing, the top LCD panel. I appreciate this addition very much indeed. Of course, we get the same information in the viewfinders of both cameras, but it is simply more convenient to take a peep at the top of a camera. Adjusting the exposure compensation has not been so pleasurable with K-30 as it is now with K-5. It might sound strange, but I love seeing numbers change on that little panel when I turn the dials.

Ah, the sound that shutter/mirror makes. It is as different as day and night. Imagine K-30's shutter sounding like a woodpecker, pecking its beak onto a hard metal panel. Loud and unpleasant clack. On the other hand, K-5's shutter is barely noticeable. Very silky and smooth sound it makes indeed. I was absolutely astonished at how silent the shutter release process was after I fired K-5. This can be important to some people shooting at certain places, which require a decent amount of "sneakiness".

No secret to anyone, K-5 has dedicated and better dust removal system than K-30. My K-30 had a small speck of dust on its sensor, which could not be shaken off by its DR system. I've wrote off K-30's DR as totally useless that day. The battery lasts more than twice on K-5 as well.

It is not worth to speak about IQ, sharpness and all that other NR/SR stuff, as these two perform (practically) identically. But, it is worth mentioning Focus Peaking function, which K-30 has and K-5 lacks. I did a small test with a thought in my mind: is the Focus Peaking really that important? I have made some shots using K-30 with and without focusing peaking, through Live View mode. Guess what, no difference. Focus Peaking makes manual focusing a little bit easier under certain conditions. Is it really worth to upgrade to K-30, because of FP? Totally not. Some mirrorless alternatives would probably be better for that.

K-5 provides its user with a smooth and buttery sounding action, extremely comfortable handling and "confidence inducing" metal body (with on-top LCD panel, I might add). I've only shot around 60 images with my K-5 so far and yet, I immediately fell in love with it. Of course, K-30 has pocus feaking and better LCD screen, probably even better autofocus (very un-true so far, from what I have experienced), but it just cannot match the deliverance of quality of K-5.

To simply (and very subjectively) put this, K-5 is more pleasant tool to use. If you require a certain amount of refinement and fineness from your camera, then it is K-5 all the way. On the other hand, if you do not care about all these subjective matters and would love to have Focus Peaking and better LCD screen, go for K-30.
06-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ragman Quote
Continued
On K-30, if you want to select a specific focus point, you would have to press INFO, then select the focusing method with a dial or 4way controller. However, after you've selected to choose the focusing point manually, you will not be able to take control of ISO and vice versa. It was very irritating experience for a first time DSLR user like me.
Not so. I can do all of that without the K-30's LCD - it's all in the VF and VF info line. e.g. I have the RAW/Fx button programmed for AF point select, so I can either press that or hold the OK button for 1 sec then the VF active AF point lights up and I can move it with the cursors then come out of that mode with the RAW/Fx or OK button without taking my eye from the VF. In Av mode with an AF lens, the ISO shows in the VF, I usually have it set to a fixed value ISO, but I have the front wheel programmed to let me adjust ISO, again it's visible in the VF, and also if I press the green button it swaps over to Auto ISO, again showing 'Auto' and the ISO in the VF. If I rotate the front wheel it goes back to fixed manually adjustable ISO. It's all quite intuitive once you've realised how powerful all the programmable wheels and button options are.
06-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Not so.
Thanks for the heads up. I did not realize that. Seems like K-5 offers a better "out of the box" controls, while K-30 needs a little bit of personal adjustments.