Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Mirror lockup

I was wondering if there is a mirror lockup setting on the K30? If so, how do I enable it?

Thanx,

06-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No it does not. MLU is on the 'drive mode' menu of cameras that have it. Check page 74 of the k-30 manual for a list of supported drive modes.
06-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No it does not. MLU is on the 'drive mode' menu of cameras that have it. Check page 74 of the k-30 manual for a list of supported drive modes.
Ok, Thanx. I appreciate it.
06-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The 2 second timer definitely has mirror lock up if that helps.

06-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
The 2 second timer definitely has mirror lock up if that helps.
Thank you SteveB. I nornally use the timer for long shutter speeds and a cable release too.
07-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't received the camera yet, but I am quite sure that there is no need for mirror lock-up because you naturally would be in live view when in need of mirror lock up - and the mirror is already up when in live view. The manual probably should have stated that. Frankly, the writing of the manual essentially regards live view as an after thought - which is unfortunate.
07-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I haven't received the camera yet, but I am quite sure that there is no need for mirror lock-up because you naturally would be in live view when in need of mirror lock up - and the mirror is already up when in live view. The manual probably should have stated that. Frankly, the writing of the manual essentially regards live view as an after thought - which is unfortunate.
When you receive the camera, you'll find out that live view doesn't achieve a true mirror lockup on the K-30. The mirror cycles when you push the shutter button and you can see by the image flashing in the OVF. The only way to achieve true MLU to reduce vibration is with the 2 second timer. Hope that helps.

07-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There are very few situations where the mirror lockup available in the 2 second timer mode is not as good as manually controlled mirror lockup, so I think the short answer to 'Does K-30 have mirror lockup?' should be a straight yes. (Same for K-r which many seem to believe does not have mirror lockup)

In some ways the 2 second timer way of doing it is actually more convenient than plain mirror lockup.
07-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I guess I'll be using the K-01 for MLU situations. Frankly, in extreme telephoto situations two seconds is not nearly enough time to totally stabilize the camera; I have a good tripod, but not a pro-level one. With the K-01, I never have to think about the mirror! I suspect the quieter shutter is also a bit more vibration-free, as well.
07-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Frankly, the writing of the manual essentially regards live view as an after thought - which is unfortunate.
On DSLRs, live view is an afterthought. It wasn't even common until a few years ago, when they all started using CMOS sensors. If you want to use live view for more than a few special occasions, get a mirrorless camera. But then, I don't have to tell you this, as I see you already have one.

If I'm doing long exposures, I always use the 2-second delay, regardless of whether the camera has a mirror or not. I only use the remote release with mirror lock-up if I'm using really long lenses.
07-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I guess I'll be using the K-01 for MLU situations. Frankly, in extreme telephoto situations two seconds is not nearly enough time to totally stabilize the camera; I have a good tripod, but not a pro-level one. With the K-01, I never have to think about the mirror! I suspect the quieter shutter is also a bit more vibration-free, as well.
Have you tried hanging a reasonably heavy weight from underneath the tripod? I have often used my camera bag in this fashion. So long as the tripod can handle the additional weight, this will steady even a lightweight tripod that might otherwise be vibrating in even a gentle breeze. The one caveat is if you have a raised center column, the weight has to hang from the bottom of the center column.
07-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I usually use a rather good tripod for time exposures with telephoto. However I find that even when using a cheap wobbly tripod at 500mm the vibration from the mirror slap does not cause any measurable shake. Are you sure it is the residual vibration from the mirror slap that is causing your shake? Are you using the remote or pressing the shutter button with you finger? If the latter then you are probably causing much more vibration than the mirror and will need much more than 2 seconds for that to die out.
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
On DSLRs, live view is an afterthought. It wasn't even common until a few years ago, when they all started using CMOS sensors. If you want to use live view for more than a few special occasions, get a mirrorless camera. But then, I don't have to tell you this, as I see you already have one.

If I'm doing long exposures, I always use the 2-second delay, regardless of whether the camera has a mirror or not. I only use the remote release with mirror lock-up if I'm using really long lenses.
Yea, "real photographers" use the viewfinder" LOL My over-50 eyes can't see a screen unless I hold the cam at arms length or use readers! The 1 occasion I use LV is when shooting at the sun, to protect my eyez!
07-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm not going to get into a debate about mirrorless vs. non-mirrorless. Some things work better one way, others work better another way. For me, with my eyes, I can generally do better focusing in live view with focus peaking even though I do use enhancements for focusing with a viewfinder. Getting the image as sharp as possible trumps whatever preconceived notion you might have about what is proper equipment, or not. Some people are just not willing to try something new (and my eyes are well beyond age 50).

I do add weight to the tripod hook, and it is a pretty good tripod - but not a 4-figure one. I've done enough shooting at extreme magnification on a tripod to confirm that two seconds isn't enough if the mirror slap is particularly violent (as is the case with bodies such as the K20D or the K-30). Just as a matter of practicality, the K-01 is a better camera for avoiding vibration on a tripod because it has no mirror and associated mechanism - and the shutter itself performs far more quietly (sound is a vibration). I'm not about to care if someone thinks I'm using something that looks inferior, as that's their problem.

In this instance, the K-01 is a superior tool.
07-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

In this instance, the K-01 is a superior tool.
You won't get any argument from me, there. I was just saying that MILCs are made for live view, but DSLRs are not, and trying to use a DSLR like a MILC is fighting the nature of the device.