Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K30 Shutter and Wedding

I think this has been asked before but those who have shot weddings have you found the shutter to be too loud? I have used my KX for a Bar Mitzvah and it was a little loud for those right around me. maybe I'm just imagining it.

Thanks

John

Last edited by Parallax; 06-08-2013 at 11:27 AM.
06-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't shoot weddings but considering how loud many Canikon sounds I can't see it as a big problem.
06-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I mean, just listen to the "silent" mode of the 5D Mark III, probably one of the most common pro wedding cameras.
06-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I think this has been asked before but those who have shot weddings have you found the shutter to be too loud? I have used my KX for a Bar Mitzvah and it was a little loud for those right around me. maybe I'm just imagining it.

Thanks

John
John Rudolph Photography
The K-30 is a bit louder than the K-5, but I wouldn't say that it's excessive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, well put. My buddy's who I shoot events with have 7D's and they said the same thing. I guess I was being paranoid.

Thank you
06-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Put a K-30 on 12 sec timer and walk away from it to where other people are likely to be and it's not too bad. However, I wouldn't like to use it in a church at a wedding, perhaps just the one shot, as you're very close to a lot of people in the aisles.
06-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use k10 ,K30, K5, and while the K5 is almost silent compaired to the other two I have never ever had a complaint about noise. Remeber people expect cameras to make a noise and most ministers announce no photography apart from the hired camera so people expect you to be there.

If I set up a remote near the couple I am mindfull that the minister often uses a microphone so I use the K 5 as the remote.

Much more important is to tun off all the annoying high pitched beeps, they really annoy people.

I get the impression from your question they you were not the official tog at the function if that's the case yes you might annoy people if you take loads of images with your K30 and are in the middle of the congregation.

06-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The K-30 is quieter than the K-x/r I think, there was a comparison done somewhere.
Off-topic a bit, I don't feel the K-5II shutter to be very quiet at all. Maybe it's just me.
06-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
The K-30 is quieter than the K-x/r I think, there was a comparison done somewhere.
Off-topic a bit, I don't feel the K-5II shutter to be very quiet at all. Maybe it's just me.
are you sure?
06-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
are you sure?
Sure of what, exactly?
06-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sure of what, exactly?
That it's not quiet. My brother and I both get asked "Did you take a photo? I didn't hear it." both by non-photographers and photographers.
06-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That it's not quiet. My brother and I both get asked "Did you take a photo? I didn't hear it." both by non-photographers and photographers.
I said it might be just me. Or my camera is broken while somehow functioning perfectly.
06-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I said it might be just me. Or my camera is broken while somehow functioning perfectly.
I think many of us, including me, imagines that our cameras sounds worse and get more looks than they actually do. I think that the insecurity actually brings way more attention our way than the camera.
06-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think that the insecurity actually brings way more attention our way than the camera.
Now there's food for thought.
06-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a k-30 and a K-r. The K-30 with 18-135 WR lens mounted is significantly quieter than the K-r but with other lenses the difference is not that much.
Putting the WR lens on the K-r doesn't seem to make any difference but on the K-30 it does.

From time to time I shoot birds from a hide and I can safely say that other shooters I encountered there almost always have much quieter shutters than I do. In the hide, unlike in larger spaces, it is easy to compare sounds due to the confined space and the obligatory silence that one must keep. I have at times worried that someone would complain about me scaring away the nearby wildlife but it hasn't happened yet. Not necessarily a fair comparison though as it might be that bird photographers give particular attention to shutter noise when choosing their camera.

The only noisier camera I ever encountered there was a huge Nikon, I think full frame or maybe MF (do they exist?) from its size, and it was not just louder than mine but much louder. I would have asked about it because it looked like a very interesting setup (not because it was the only louder camera than mine) that he had but he was Japanese (I think) and didn't speak a word of English.