Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #1

From K-5 to K-30 experience?

My K-5 is going to C.R.I.S. for its fourth repair since last November . I will not be in the U.S. to receive it when the repair is completed, so I've ordered a K-30 to use until I get my K-5 back.

I'm interested in the experience of others who have gone from the K-5 to the K-30. Some differences that I am aware of:
  • The K-30's shutter and mirror are louder.
  • It does not have a top LCD panel.
  • Its battery life is half as long.
  • Its contrast-detection AF is better.
  • It applies somewhat more noise reduction to high-ISO raw files (per DxOMark).
Are there any other differences, both good and bad, that I should be prepared for? My overall impression from reading reviews is that the K-30 is pretty much as good a picture-taking machine as the K-5, but not as solidly built and lacking a few refinements.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Charles; 06-08-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Added DxOMark bullet point
06-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I have a K30 along with the K5IIs and K01 and the K30 is the main camera I reach for. It is just the right size for me and easy and fun to use. IQ similar to K5 and LV works much better.
06-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
I have a K30 along with the K5IIs and K01 and the K30 is the main camera I reach for. It is just the right size for me and easy and fun to use. IQ similar to K5 and LV works much better.
That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to using my new K-30, which I'll have on Monday. For fun, I bought a white one, which goes against my usual habit of buying black cameras.
06-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Everything on the top panel is available on the LCD. Most of the time I am paying more attention to the information in the optical view finder anyway. I think the biggest challenge you will face moving from a K-5 to a K-30 is the difference in the physical controls. The K-5 has some controls on the body that on the K-30 require you to go into the Info or Menu system. And where the two bodies have the same physical controls, the placement is different. If you are the type of photographer that intuitively reaches for certain physical controls without really looking at the camera body, plan on spending an hour or two to retrain yourself.

Personally, I really like my K-30. I would rather have a K-5IIs, but at the current price difference, a K-30 meets my needs.

06-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

I had K-5 and K-30 for some time. I bought K-30 as backup body to K-5 and also for interest to try it out. For some time of using them both I decided to sell the K-30. Why? Here are the reasons:
  • K-5 felt much better in my hand. Very solid and ergonomics was much better (for me). K-30 felt too plasticky (when I was used to K-5). Dials were also better in K-5 (more smooth). Usability is one thing I value high.
  • Using them both simultaneously was pain as I always pushed the wrong buttons in K-30 (especially the delete button and image preview). This was maybe the biggest reason for selling it.
  • I had used to top LCD panel and I constantly felt it was missing in K-30.
  • K-30 mirror and shutter are louder and didn't feel as smooth as K-5.
  • If I had to choose one over another, K-5 would get one more point being able to take battery grip. I use it constantly when shooting sports and it really helps with bigger lenses and longer shooting sessions.
  • What also bothered me in K-30 was the over sharpened preview image for RAW files. When looking image right after the shot it seemed extremely sharp. But when opened in Lightroom it was "normal". Not a big problem but K-5 seems to show the preview image more normal.
  • I didn't find any advantages in K-30 compared to K-5 in my use. Only disadvantages. I hardly use live view and when I use it the K-5 does well. I preferred the optical viewfinder when focusing manually compared to live view and focus peaking. I have Ee-S focusing screen and O-ME53 eyecup. I do not shoot video.
  • Not a big reason, but K-5 just looks better.

That said the K-30 is amazing value. There is no difference in image quality (other than maybe tiny advantage of dynamic range for K-5) and I didn't find any difference in AF speed. But for the same price, you know which one I would choose.
06-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
I had K-5 and K-30 for some time. I bought K-30 as backup body to K-5 and also for interest to try it out. For some time of using them both I decided to sell the K-30. Why? Here are the reasons:
  • K-5 felt much better in my hand. Very solid and ergonomics was much better (for me). K-30 felt too plasticky (when I was used to K-5). Dials were also better in K-5 (more smooth). Usability is one thing I value high.
  • Using them both simultaneously was pain as I always pushed the wrong buttons in K-30 (especially the delete button and image preview). This was maybe the biggest reason for selling it.
  • I had used to top LCD panel and I constantly felt it was missing in K-30.
  • K-30 mirror and shutter are louder and didn't feel as smooth as K-5.
  • If I had to choose one over another, K-5 would get one more point being able to take battery grip. I use it constantly when shooting sports and it really helps with bigger lenses and longer shooting sessions.
  • What also bothered me in K-30 was the over sharpened preview image for RAW files. When looking image right after the shot it seemed extremely sharp. But when opened in Lightroom it was "normal". Not a big problem but K-5 seems to show the preview image more normal.
  • I didn't find any advantages in K-30 compared to K-5 in my use. Only disadvantages. I hardly use live view and when I use it the K-5 does well. I preferred the optical viewfinder when focusing manually compared to live view and focus peaking. I have Ee-S focusing screen and O-ME53 eyecup. I do not shoot video.
  • Not a big reason, but K-5 just looks better.

That said the K-30 is amazing value. There is no difference in image quality (other than maybe tiny advantage of dynamic range for K-5) and I didn't find any difference in AF speed. But for the same price, you know which one I would choose.
That's a good list of differences, some of which will matter to me. Thanks.

IAC, I expect to get my K-5 back eventually, and then the K-30 will probably become my backup camera. As I mentioned, my K-5 has had four repairs since last November, so I've been without a camera to mount my lenses on for most of that time. A K-30 would have served me well during those months.
06-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
  • The K-30's shutter and mirror are louder.
  • It does not have a top LCD panel.
  • Its battery life is half as long.
  • Its contrast-detection AF is better.
  • It applies somewhat more noise reduction to high-ISO raw files (per DxOMark).
Are there any other differences, both good and bad, that I should be prepared for? My overall impression from reading reviews is that the K-30 is pretty much as good a picture-taking machine as the K-5, but not as solidly built and lacking a few refinements.

Jeff
K-30
  • no grip
  • in-body AA batteries
  • focus peaking
  • improved AF (tracking, accuracy in coloured light)
  • diffraction lens to minimize CA
1/6000s vs 1/8000s
6fps vs. 7fps

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-08-2013 at 08:15 AM.
06-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't miss the top LCD
the shutter is a bit louder,
I REALLY like the focus-peaking (main reason I sold the K-5)
I use live-view more
I use eneloops so I cannot really comment on the battery life difference
AF seems a bit snappier and quicker to lock on?

06-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a K-30 as a backup for my K5 (which had to go for a repair because of a faulty mirror motor - back in my hands within 10 days!)
For manual focussing, I find the K30 focus peaking far easier to use than using the K5 and the OME53 magnifying eyepiece. Swapping of the preview/LV buttons is a major pain, keep pressing the wrong one on the K30. Don't miss the top LCD much, would prefer one but not a major gripe. The buffer on the K30 is much much smaller (7 RAW vs 25!) This is the major downside to the K-30 in my view, along with the lack of PC socket (nowhere to plug in my ringflash!) IQ wise, I've never seen any difference ( I shoot in RAW 99% of the time)
06-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
the lack of PC socket (nowhere to plug in my ringflash!)
Fortunately a hotshoe to PC socket adapter is a really inexpensive accessory.
06-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Fortunately a hotshoe to PC socket adapter is a really inexpensive accessory.
I know I've got one! But I would still prefer a PC socket.
06-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I know I've got one! But I would still prefer a PC socket.
And I miss a legacy shutter release socket (screw-in mechanical cable). My bellows unit is designed to use a 'Y' release to stop down the lens and release the shutter. Neither of these legacy items should have been difficult or expensive to retain, but I guess pennies add up in manufacturing.
06-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
And I miss a legacy shutter release socket (screw-in mechanical cable). My bellows unit is designed to use a 'Y' release to stop down the lens and release the shutter. Neither of these legacy items should have been difficult or expensive to retain, but I guess pennies add up in manufacturing.
Yes, I have a good selection of remote shutter release cables of various lengths, much more reliable than the electronic versions