Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Help with auto pict vs scene modes

I am having trouble with my camera switching from auto picture to scene mode... it just recognizes both settings as auto picture.... I have removed battery, lens, turned on off, pretty much anything and everything... any suggestions... thank you!!

06-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Audrey Quote
I am having trouble with my camera switching from auto picture to scene mode... it just recognizes both settings as auto picture.... I have removed battery, lens, turned on off, pretty much anything and everything... any suggestions... thank you!!
I believe you will find that is how it is supposed to work. In AUTO mode the camera automatically selects the apropriate capyure modes based upon the scene you are shooting. Check out the manual. If you don't want that much auto control try P mode.

Bob
06-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

When you turn the dial to scene mode normally it should display a bunch of icons for the different scenes and you can then use the arrows or rear dial to select the appropriate one. Is this not happening on your camera? If not, as soon as you turn the dial to SCN what do you see on the display?

Another question - what lens are you using? If it is not an auto lens the SCN modes will not work and you don't even get the option to select the scene mode. The same might happen if you do have an auto lens but it is not making a proper connection to the camera, possibly due to dirty contacts.
06-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the camera recognize the other modes such as Av, TAv ,etc.? With a manual lens or one with an aperature ring off A setting. The only settings available are B, M ,and Av with A setting or DA Lens all should be available. I am assuming you are using a DA lens since you are using Auto.
I would try taking the battery out recharge it and leave it out over night that should be long enough to run the run the battery/capacitor down in th cameras memory. that will reset things, (like rebooting a computer). You will have to reset the date and time. You may not have had the battery out long enough

06-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Does the camera recognize the other modes such as Av, TAv ,etc.? With a manual lens or one with an aperature ring off A setting. The only settings available are B, M ,and Av with A setting or DA Lens all should be available. I am assuming you are using a DA lens since you are using Auto.
I would try taking the battery out recharge it and leave it out over night that should be long enough to run the run the battery/capacitor down in th cameras memory. that will reset things, (like rebooting a computer). You will have to reset the date and time. You may not have had the battery out long enough
Come on folks read page 62/63 in the manual . . . it is operating as it is supposed to!
06-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
Come on folks read page 62/63 in the manual . . . it is operating as it is supposed to!
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, or maybe you did not understand the problem reported by the OP.

PP 62/63 explain how to shoot in AUTO mode and about the fact that in AUTO mode the camera will automatically choose what it thinks is the best scene mode, it does not describe the use of the SCN mode.

What the OP is saying (if I understood her correctly) is that when setting the dial to Scene mode (SCN) the camera is bahaving the same as if set to AUTO mode, and hence not letting her select the scene mode manually (the scene modes are of course actually also automatic but let you at least manually cjhoose the mode)

Page 82 describes the SCENE mode, which I believe OP is trying to use but cannot select.
06-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter

If she can not switch from AUTO to SCENE then it is not acting correctly
QuoteOriginally posted by Audrey Quote
it just recognizes both settings as auto picture.
You are correct if if the problem was the camera switching scene settings in auto like from landscape to portrait. But I read that when the OP tries to change from auto to scene then the camera is still in auto. When I change from auto to scene then the camera brings up the scene selection. (I had to try this for this post since I don't use either settings). That is the reason for asking if the camera would recognize other settings. To see if the camera is stuck in auto even when the selector switch is changed from auto to scene, or Av , or any other setting I did check the manual prior to grabbing my camera to see how it acted when changing from auto to scene.
06-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, or maybe you did not understand the problem reported by the OP. PP 62/63 explain how to shoot in AUTO mode and about the fact that in AUTO mode the camera will automatically choose what it thinks is the best scene mode, it does not describe the use of the SCN mode. What the OP is saying (if I understood her correctly) is that when setting the dial to Scene mode (SCN) the camera is bahaving the same as if set to AUTO mode, and hence not letting her select the scene mode manually (the scene modes are of course actually also automatic but let you at least manually cjhoose the mode) Page 82 describes the SCENE mode, which I believe OP is trying to use but cannot select
I type to slow

06-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #9

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, or maybe you did not understand the problem reported by the OP.

PP 62/63 explain how to shoot in AUTO mode and about the fact that in AUTO mode the camera will automatically choose what it thinks is the best scene mode, it does not describe the use of the SCN mode.

What the OP is saying (if I understood her correctly) is that when setting the dial to Scene mode (SCN) the camera is bahaving the same as if set to AUTO mode, and hence not letting her select the scene mode manually (the scene modes are of course actually also automatic but let you at least manually cjhoose the mode)

Page 82 describes the SCENE mode, which I believe OP is trying to use but cannot select.
What the OP said is:

In AUTO that is exactly what happens. The camera decides, based upon what it sees, which of the scene modes listed on pg 63 it will use. Scene mode is also automatic selection of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. . . . you have no control over any of those which is the same as AUTO mode.

Conclusion: Camera is performing as it should.
06-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

If she can not switch from AUTO to SCENE then it is not acting correctly
You are correct if if the problem was the camera switching scene settings in auto like from landscape to portrait. But I read that when the OP tries to change from auto to scene then the camera is still in auto. When I change from auto to scene then the camera brings up the scene selection. (I had to try this for this post since I don't use either settings). That is the reason for asking if the camera would recognize other settings. To see if the camera is stuck in auto even when the selector switch is changed from auto to scene, or Av , or any other setting I did check the manual prior to grabbing my camera to see how it acted when changing from auto to scene.
No where does she say that she can not select a scene mode or that it switches from scene to AUTO . . .although as noted above it is effectively in AUTO mode when you select scene with whatever scene you choose narrowing the settings the camera can automatically select.
06-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #11

I didn't say it described the use of scene mode. But it does describe how AUTO works which is to "switch" to one of the scene modes automatically deciding which of those scene modes would best suit the curren conditions

I don't see where she says that. Nothing said about not being able to set the scene mode. What she says is that when set to AUTO it goes to Scene mode. Yes it does and as already pointed out the camera operation in a selected scene mode is the same as it is in auto mode

Yes that's what pg 82 but again don't see where the OP says she can't select a scene mode for herself.
06-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter

it just recognizes both settings as auto picture..
If she is not turning the selector wheel then you are correct it is working correctly. But the way the OP phraseding the problem as" both settings" leads me to believe she is manually changing from auto to scene. Thus my answer
06-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

If she is not turning the selector wheel then you are correct it is working correctly. But the way the OP phraseding the problem as" both settings" leads me to believe she is manually changing from auto to scene. Thus my answer
But Patrick, even if she is turning to scene mode she doesn't say she can't select a scene. And other then the ability to select the scene as opposed to letting the camera decide, scene and auto are the same.

Be nice if the OP checked in more frequently after asking for help.
06-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Be nice if the OP checked in more frequently after asking for help.
Agreed. The problem was posted leaving a an area (Turned the dial or not)to have to be assumed, or interpreted by the responders. Either way she has recieved an answer to her question for she knows whether or not she was turning the dial.