Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

New K-30 noise.

Hi
I am new in the Pentax world, coming from a Nikon. I have been lurking here a while and getting a lot of useful info. After much back forth between the K-30 and K-5iis. I bought the K-30 and 18-135WR. Still not sure if I made the right decision. I have had it a week. I notice that when I turn the camera off there is a loud knocking sound like something dropped inside the camera. Not sure what it is and not sure if it is normal. This happens every time, like something fell back in its place. So is this a normal sound or is something wrong with my Camera?
I really like this camera and I am hoping it's not a bad copy I received.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

06-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the dust removal feature, and the sound is completely normal. The K-30 has an older version of the mechanism that isn't silent, unlike the ultrasonic system found on the K-5 and Canon/Nikon cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Just sounds like its the sensor having a shake to clear dust off. You can turn this off or change it to do its work at turn on instead or both on and off. Look in you manual. All perfectly normal.
06-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Search for it and you will see that probably one fifth of the people coming here has asked the same thing. I'm not blaming you as the number of people asking this tells a story, Pentax should put a paper with a large illustration mentioning that "this is completely normal, it's the shake reduction disengaged".
The sensor is floating and when put on the magnets holds it in place, so you should worry more if it won't move when off.

Welcome to the forum!

06-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick response. Yes should have read the manual. But this was way loud and was not sure.
First time with Pentax. I am happy it's not a bad copy.
Thank you!
06-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixl10 Quote
Thank you for the quick response. Yes should have read the manual. But this was way loud and was not sure.
First time with Pentax. I am happy it's not a bad copy.
Thank you!
You're not the first and not the last to ask about the noises when starting up, shutting down and when off and you won't be the last. I'm so used to the sounds that I miss them when using another DSLR.