Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Is it just me, or do these colored bodies look a little odd with a big black snout out in front of them?
Well, you wouldn't want to be too conspicuous, would you?

I don't need one of these, as I have a K-5, but I'm seriously tempted to get one in my own choice of colour combination. Green and brown would make a great camouflaged outfit.

06-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Mickey Mouse cameras!
06-13-2013, 01:56 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Mickey Mouse cameras!
If these cameras can do for Pentax what Mickey Mouse did for Disney, I won't be complaining.
06-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #19
Forum Member

Hot pink for me!!! (if I had the cash) Hey I'm a girl with a pink loving reputation :P

06-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
120 colors - this immediately brought something to my mind - inventory.

I used to be involved in a wholesale business which had a huge inventory in large warehouses. While I am no accountant, I know from experience that inventory costs money - you don't want too much of anything on the shelf for longer than necessary.

How are the retail vendors (B&H, Adorma, etc.) going to deal with this? Let's just say for the sake of argument that one vendor would normally stock 50 of one camera like the K-50. Now with 120 colors, that would mean an inventory on the shelf of 6000 cameras. I just don't see how this is possible.

Or......do these colorful cameras get shipped to them as blank bodies with the colored plastic pieces separate - then when they get an order they simply snap on the plastic pieces and ship?

And this is now with 2 cameras - the K-50 and the Q7. I just don't see how it is possible for a retailer to be expected to keep such an inventory.
06-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I think they will be made to order - there's a 4-week wait for one in the colours of your choice.
06-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #22

I went for black with my K-30, but I do like the fact that such a wide variety of colors are available, especially for people who want something fairly unique and customized. Those combos are pretty staggering, I did not expect that many to be available.

06-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

On pentaximaging.com: "Your K-50 is custom-made, so it will take a little extra time to hand build the camera just for you. Please allow approximately 4 to 6 weeks for delivery."
06-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I think they will be made to order - there's a 4-week wait for one in the colours of your choice.
That could very well be true - I noticed the same thing when looking at the availability of the many colors on the B&H site.

Pentax must have a very good shipping channel from Japan (made in Japan?) to keep a shipping flow going every 2 weeks.

Good for them!
06-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm really tempted to go for a military-looking one in green and black, or sand and brown, or green and brown....... Stop now, that way lies madness!
06-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Anybody know if all these are shiny or will they be made in matte finish too like the K-30 colors?
It looks like they are more like the K-x/K-r system of some 'metal' colors and the rest matte, rather than the crystal/satin colors of the K-30. Since I've had a Navy K-x and a 'Metaru Chocolate' K-r, I guess the metallic dark green is called for next...

In the (other site) preview, they said Pentax said the reason the K-500 is black only was the logistics of three cameras in multiple colors was just too much to manage. I'm guessing stores will only stock black, white, and red, and everything else is special order. That's what we were asking for - the ability to special-order like they could in Japan!

And yes, I was thinking the 'Bumblebee' black/yellow scheme would go nice with my K-01 - but only if I could get it with a silver flash housing like a real camera.

K-05 now!
06-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It looks like they are more like the K-x/K-r system of some 'metal' colors and the rest matte, rather than the crystal/satin colors of the K-30.

Metal, matte, crystal, satin... These are difficult textures for someone that's only interacted with black dslrs to imagine.
06-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Metal, matte, crystal, satin... These are difficult textures for someone that's only interacted with black dslrs to imagine.
The matte/satin colors are just paint and feel like plastic. Metal/crystal have a clearcoat and can be a little more slippery. The K-30's colors were different in that there was a satin/crystal version of each color, instead of a few unique metallic shades.

After getting hassled by security for my "professional" camera (it was a K100D with a kit zoom), I decided my cameras would be colorful from then on.
06-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anybody know if all these are shiny or will they be made in matte finish too like the K-30 colors?
On the German Pentax website the standard white color is specified as matte.
It's in the PDF you can download from:
Produktseite der Pentax K-50 - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH
Tab 'Downloads', Datenblatt_K50_GER.pdf.
06-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If someone is interested in color 'Metal Navy', combined with a black grip, Mashable has some photo's of K-50's in that color.
http://mashable.com/2013/06/12/pentax-color/