Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Eye-fi support

That's a start:

Eye-Fi Card Compatibility
With Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards, you can automatically transmit recorded images to a smartphone. New built-in menus allow you to easily enable automatic transmission of images and video to a smartphone for rapid sharing. You can even select favorite images and resize them before transmission.

06-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
That's a start:

Eye-Fi Card Compatibility
With Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards, you can automatically transmit recorded images to a smartphone. New built-in menus allow you to easily enable automatic transmission of images and video to a smartphone for rapid sharing. You can even select favorite images and resize them before transmission.
Pentax have been rolling out this feature in their most recent cameras, also including the MX-1 if I'm not mistaken.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you can show this functionality in a new video sometime, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, do you speculate this kind of functionality will come with the K5II/s replacement(s)? Hope so...
06-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It would be *really* cool if Pentax was able to add that to the Q and K-01 by way of a firmware update. I'd guess that there should not be any need for hardware to support this functionality....

Pretty-please?

06-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax have been rolling out this feature in their most recent cameras, also including the MX-1 if I'm not mistaken.
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
It would be *really* cool if Pentax was able to add that to the Q and K-01 by way of a firmware update. I'd guess that there should not be any need for hardware to support this functionality....
MX-1, GR, Q10 and Q7 and FW updates for Q (I believe).

Pentax worked extensively with Eye-Fi engineers to build FW that auto-detects an Eye-Fi card the first time it is inserted and calls up a context-sensitive menu (similar to the new Firmware Update menus on Q) to make the links to laptop, tablet, smartphone or Wi-Fi network.

I'm about to try it on the Q with FW 1.12 to see if the upgrade included this installation routine (I believe it does).

Even if it doesn't, Q is eminently compatible once the links are set up (though doing that is a pain).
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Pentax worked extensively with Eye-Fi engineers to build FW that auto-detects an Eye-Fi card the first time it is inserted and calls up a context-sensitive menu (similar to the new Firmware Update menus on Q) to make the links to laptop, tablet, smartphone or Wi-Fi network.

I'm about to try it on the Q with FW 1.12 to see if the upgrade included this installation routine (I believe it does).

Even if it doesn't, Q is eminently compatible once the links are set up (though doing that is a pain).
I'm using 1.11 on my Q and yeah, EyeFi is eminently compatible and problem free with the Q - but there's nothing in the camera firmware that helps you, you must set up everything manually (and yeah, that is a drag).

I'll try to stick 1.12 on the Q tomorrow and see what it gives - have meant to do that for a while, but never gotten around to doing it.
06-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using 1.11 on my Q and yeah, EyeFi is eminently compatible and problem free with the Q - but there's nothing in the camera firmware that helps you, you must set up everything manually (and yeah, that is a drag).

I'll try to stick 1.12 on the Q tomorrow and see what it gives - have meant to do that for a while, but never gotten around to doing it.
Can you post some screen shots of the interface? Thanks!

Actually I could very well open a user manual...is documentation updated with each release of a new firmware?

06-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can you post some screen shots of the interface? Thanks!

Actually I could very well open a user manual...is documentation updated with each release of a new firmware?
I'm sorry, screen shots of the interface of....?

As it is, I just set-up the EyeFi card in my computer for "direct mode", then pop it in a Q (the camera is none the wiser if it is a WiFi or regular SD card). Turn on the camera, have my phone/iPad join the SSID that the EyeFi card generates, launch EyeFi app on phone/iPad, take pictures and voila.

The Q, with firmware 1.11, is none the wiser as to if it is WiFi or any other SD card. Some have suggested that 1.12 may change that, a couple of postings up. I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens, although I'm fairly indifferent as it is working quite nicely for me right now.
06-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Hmm, preliminary googleing and testing does not reveal any particular WiFi awareness of a Q w/1.12 firmware.....
06-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm sorry, screen shots of the interface of....?
It was mentionned that a new content sensitive sub menu would appear whenever Eye-fi is inserted. Might be only on Q7, I don't know. I'm just curious to know what it is.
06-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It was mentionned that a new content sensitive sub menu would appear whenever Eye-fi is inserted. Might be only on Q7, I don't know. I'm just curious to know what it is.
I'd guess that it'd be on the K-50 and Q7, at least. So far, I've not seen that menu on the 1.12 FW of the Q. But, it's late, I'll look into that tomorrow and report back (if somebody does not beat me to it).

A quick google on that very question brought this very thread among the top hits, so it's likely just a rumor.
06-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it's an excerpt from the Pentax website:

Pentax Canada | K-50
06-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

it's an excerpt from the Pentax website:

Pentax Canada | K-50
For the K-50, yes....
06-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just installed a Mobi in my wife's Q. No Eye-Fi account was required. There were no menus called up on the Q, but I didn't look for them either. I just wanted to see how easy it would be for a technophobe.
  1. Download the App to her phone
  2. Initialize the card in the App
  3. Put the card in the camera
  4. Turn on the camera
  5. In the phone
    1. Settings
    2. WiFi
    3. Select Mobi Card (which is a WiFi Hotspot)
      1. which of course deselects my home network
  6. Take a picture
  7. Virtually instantly it is on the phone.
It took literally 4 minutes 43 seconds from App download to photo transfer. There was no apparent menu action in the Q but there was also no menu action to perform either. Everything in the camera happened automatically. I haven't messed with the settings in the App on the phone yet and I don't think I will - the default settings do just what she wants.

I haven't done the ProX2 yet, which I understand is more complex and finicky. For people who just want to move jpeg's to a phone or tablet the Mobi is a breeze.

The ProX2 is more versatile
  • Also moves RAW
  • Can direct files to any folder on a computer (or Shared networked computer or storage device such as my external drive)
  • Can move files to a cloud account
  • Can select discreet files to move, leaving others on the card
  • I'm sure there's more it can do but I haven't played with it yet.
I believe the Menus on the new Pentax cameras (I think I was wrong about Q FW 1.12 adding these features) integrates the camera menus with the Eye-Fi card features.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-18-2013 at 05:33 PM.
06-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you need no EyeFi account, how do you initialise the card in the phone app?
What's the range?

Have you tried connecting the Mobi card with a Windows laptop wireless?

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 06-20-2013 at 10:31 PM.