Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #16
Aux
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 35
This question is more like about Android devices Pentax was always providing firmware updates when needed. The thing is that you buy camera once, then you buy LENSES from Pentax. So good support for cameras is vital - it will make more lens sales. And since lenses today cost A LOT it is pretty obvious that Pentax will not drop support for cameras. And there is evidence as monochrome and others said.

DSLR market is different. It's more like printer market when manufacturers care less about devices and more about peripherals for them.

06-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Original Poster
It's good to hear everyone's positive about more firmware updates, but it also seems logical that you'll only get so many updates per camera, do anyone know more or less what the average is since the first Pentax DSLR?
06-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.K.
Posts: 685
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It's good to hear everyone's positive about more firmware updates, but it also seems logical that you'll only get so many updates per camera, do anyone know more or less what the average is since the first Pentax DSLR?
The K100D from 2006 only ever got 2 updates, the K-30 has had 4 in 9 months. I don't think there's any rules being followed in this, it's just pot luck. My Samsung 220 P&S never got any updates when it was crying out for some really simple interface ones.
06-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It's good to hear everyone's positive about more firmware updates, but it also seems logical that you'll only get so many updates per camera, do anyone know more or less what the average is since the first Pentax DSLR?
Your logic is reasonable but the facts argue against it. Pentax is no longer owned by Hoya. Ricoh has a long history of legacy support for their products and have promised to continue to support camera bodies with new firmware a couple times a year. They have already proven that they are more willing than Hoya to do so by adding new features to cameras via firmware that are also available in newer products still in production like focus peaking being added to the original Q when the Q10 is available. Past performance under Hoya is therefore not a predictor of performance going forward under Ricoh.

06-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It's good to hear everyone's positive about more firmware updates, but it also seems logical that you'll only get so many updates per camera, do anyone know more or less what the average is since the first Pentax DSLR?
I'm not sure your question is all that relevant. Most (granted, not all) firmware updates on cameras are to fix bugs or deficiencies. Those are generally all discovered and fixed before too long. It's much different than with a smartphone or computer. There, updates introduce new features or substantially alter existing ones.
06-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,428
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I'm not sure your question is all that relevant. Most (granted, not all) firmware updates on cameras are to fix bugs or deficiencies. Those are generally all discovered and fixed before too long. It's much different than with a smartphone or computer. There, updates introduce new features or substantially alter existing ones.
Ricoh's FW upgrade policy (and now Pentax's policy) is to regularly introduce new features to older cameras, much the same as software updates for computers and phones. An example is the addition of Focus Peaking to the original Q when the Q10 was introduced - that was a material improvement to the Q. Next was the trermendous improvement in AF performance in FW ver. 1.12 - an improvement for both the Q10 and the original Q.

Pentax has according to James Malcolm adopted this new FW Upgrade strategy, which he said costs little money and yet binds customers to the brand. It will (apparently) unfortunately take Pentax a long time to make this new policy known to even its best customers and most ardent fans, and to make it a "Feature" of the Pentax brand..
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,075
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It will (apparently) unfortunately take Pentax a long time to make this new policy known to even its best customers and most ardent fans, and to make it a "Feature" of the Pentax brand..
I thought 'its best customers and most ardent fans' were already here on this forum!
06-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,748
If applying Ricoh policy on firmware, I think that will mean that when new features added on new generation cameras, they will also be added to older cameras as long as necessary hardware is the same. Hopefully it also will mean that bug fixes included in firmware updates for Pentax cameras are as well documented as Ricoh done.

Here an example on revision history on Ricoh GRIII. I didn't count all, but there seems to be at least 20 new options added through firmware updates.
GR DIGITAL III firmware / Software Downloads / Digital Camera | Ricoh Global

06-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,428
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I thought 'its best customers and most ardent fans' were already here on this forum!
They are precisely the people to whom I was posting

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If applying Ricoh policy on firmware, I think that will mean that when new features added on new generation cameras, they will also be added to older cameras as long as necessary hardware is the same. Hopefully it also will mean that bug fixes included in firmware updates for Pentax cameras are as well documented as Ricoh done.

Here an example on revision history on Ricoh GRIII. I didn't count all, but there seems to be at least 20 new options added through firmware updates.
GR DIGITAL III firmware / Software Downloads / Digital Camera | Ricoh Global
I believe that is the intent.
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh's FW upgrade policy (and now Pentax's policy) is to regularly introduce new features to older cameras, much the same as software updates for computers and phones. An example is the addition of Focus Peaking to the original Q when the Q10 was introduced - that was a material improvement to the Q. Next was the trermendous improvement in AF performance in FW ver. 1.12 - an improvement for both the Q10 and the original Q.

Pentax has according to James Malcolm adopted this new FW Upgrade strategy, which he said costs little money and yet binds customers to the brand. It will (apparently) unfortunately take Pentax a long time to make this new policy known to even its best customers and most ardent fans, and to make it a "Feature" of the Pentax brand..
Thanks for replying, I tire of these sort of posts and appreciate someone else addressing it head on. We ALREADY have seen new features in old cameras under Ricoh, its not a theory or a marketing assertion - it's a fact. Geez.
06-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Pepe Le Pew's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 589
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If the hardware is the same... it could very well be that the K50 and K30 will share the same firmware maybe?

Probably....Can't see why not?
06-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for replying, I tire of these sort of posts and appreciate someone else addressing it head on.
I apologise if this nincompoop is one of those causing you so much stress by bringing up such a trivial matter...however I really appreciate everyone enlightening me about the situation. It is nice to know that my K-30 might get an increase in ISO to 51200, or is that not possible with a firmware update?
06-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I apologise if this nincompoop is one of those causing you so much stress by bringing up such a trivial matter...however I really appreciate everyone enlightening me about the situation. It is nice to know that my K-30 might get an increase in ISO to 51200, or is that not possible with a firmware update?
My comment was not directed at you. It was directed st those who keep questioning the answers provided to your initial question. There are facts involved in this issue and some posters seem to believe that their own opinions are superior to those facts, which I find tiring.
06-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #29
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My comment was not directed at you. It was directed st those who keep questioning the answers provided to your initial question. There are facts involved in this issue and some posters seem to believe that their own opinions are superior to those facts, which I find tiring.
Sorry again, the finer nuances of English, not picked up by an Afrikaans speaker
06-15-2013, 04:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sorry again, the finer nuances of English, not picked up by an Afrikaans speaker
No need to apologize, I wasn't explicit in which post I was addressing.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
firmware, k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why K-5 not listed on Firmware Updates Rsangha Pentax K-5 5 04-23-2013 05:18 PM
K-5 II & IIs Firmware Updates v1.02 Docrwm Pentax K-5 28 02-25-2013 04:58 AM
Firmware updates for K30, K-01 and Q RKKS08 Pentax News and Rumors 4 10-29-2012 05:59 PM
K-5 firmware updates... NogBoy13 Pentax K-5 3 08-04-2011 01:41 AM
K-7 Firmware updates bootaylor002 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 04-20-2010 10:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top